Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

another ct100

Did they make several thousand of these originally??

I wouldn't be surprised for another 50 to 100 of these to turn up in the next 20 years. Does anybody have production number estimates made of the ct-100 chassis?
Old 03-16-2013, 07:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

Best estimate is that 4400 were made. Here is a list of the serial numbers of surviving sets (now about 135):

http://www.earlytelevision.org/Deksn...bers_List.html
Old 03-16-2013, 11:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks everyone

The chassis is #B8002795
The cabinet is #759

miniman82 & Pete Deksnis- Thanks for the tips about the safety glass. So I will remove the whole bezel from the TV and just wet it down and get it to separate.

StellarTV - I did only just see that ad only Thursday. I rarely even check that sub-forum where it was posted here, so I had no clue. I did go high with the price, but still within what the TV should be worth in its condition. I pretty much just spent my tax return on this. I never thought I'd see one in person let alone get the chance to own one.

Phil Nelson - Thanks for those links. I've downloaded the service manual for it from somewhere already. Your site is definitely going to be a big help, and already answered a few of my questions too.

I'll definitely be post here about this set as I begin to work on it, and post progress of it just well. Probably won't be able to start it for a few weeks.

Last edited by tv beta guy; 03-16-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Very nice find Mike. I believe your CT-100 is the 3rd or 4th one w/a good tube to show up in the last year or so. Did you have the seller take a GOOD look around for any missing parts?

-Steve D.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

One more excellent CT-100 info source is Pete Deksnis's website, now hosted by ETF:

http://www.earlytelevision.org/Deksnis/home_page.html

Phil Nelson
Audiokarma
Old 03-19-2013, 10:54 PM
The lead ear.

So is there going to be a video of this?
Old 03-20-2013, 09:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

Steve D. - We actually did look around the basement there and even in a chest behind the TV. Didn't find anything else unfortunately

Phil - Thanks for that link. I'll be checking it out later.

Rod - I plan on making a video of it later on.

And now the good news: I finally was able to test the CRT. Definitely under vacuum, of course. No G1 and H-K shorts. Things were looking good already when I went to adjust for cutoff. Got to emissions and holy crap: all 3 guns are showing 100%. I figured it would have at least been asleep, but nope. All 3 guns were reading 100%, even with the life test function lowering the heater voltage. The CRT tester is setup correctly. In the picture, I was just testing the blue gun.

So this CRT is practically brand new. This is looking very promising.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130318_210716.jpg (84.5 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 20130318_210731.jpg (48.4 KB, 105 views)

Last edited by tv beta guy; 03-20-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:37 AM
Mark

Wow, great news! I'd be inclined to completely believe that tester too, as it is just about if not the most accurate and best one there is. I'm really happy for you. I'll bet this set will come back like new with an outstanding picture. I look forward to seeing the progress.
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 03-20-2013, 11:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenithfan1 View Post
Wow, great news! I'd be inclined to completely believe that tester too, as it is just about if not the most accurate and best one there is. I'm really happy for you. I'll bet this set will come back like new with an outstanding picture. I look forward to seeing the progress.

As they say, "You took the words right out of my mouth." Good on ya Mate.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:01 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Not to sound alarmist or anything, but it's rare for even a new CRT to tip the scale all the way to 100%. Try this: read for emission while slowly advancing the cutoff knob from full CCW to CW. If you are able to modulate the emission with the cutoff knob in a linear fashion you're good, but if at some point in advancing the cutoff knob it suddenly shoots up to 100% from nothing you have a gassy tube on your hands. I only mention this because at one time I had to understand why a 21AXP22 I had was testing new but glowed purple in the neck when powered by an actual chassis- it has to do with the fact that any gas inside the tube turns it into a gas regulator instead of an electron emitter. As you advance the cutoff control, at a certain point the gas inside will ionize. Once that tipping point is reached and the gas ionizes, it will read 100%.

Only sure way to know is put HV on it. If you can put 20kv on the ultor rim and not see a blue/purple glow, I'd call it a winner.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
Not to sound alarmist or anything, but it's rare for even a new CRT to tip the scale all the way to 100%. Try this: read for emission while slowly advancing the cutoff knob from full CCW to CW. If you are able to modulate the emission with the cutoff knob in a linear fashion you're good, but if at some point in advancing the cutoff knob it suddenly shoots up to 100% from nothing you have a gassy tube on your hands. I only mention this because at one time I had to understand why a 21AXP22 I had was testing new but glowed purple in the neck when powered by an actual chassis- it has to do with the fact that any gas inside the tube turns it into a gas regulator instead of an electron emitter. As you advance the cutoff control, at a certain point the gas inside will ionize. Once that tipping point is reached and the gas ionizes, it will read 100%.

Only sure way to know is put HV on it. If you can put 20kv on the ultor rim and not see a blue/purple glow, I'd call it a winner.

I just tried it. I was indeed able to get a linear response on emissions starting with the cutoff fully CCW.

Right when it reaches 100% is right when it starts showing up on the low-tracking/cutoff display, and it just a small tweak there to get it into cutoff.

The last few sets I've worked on (a couple 70s vintage sets) did have 100% emissions on this tester as well with proper cutoff.

I'm just hoping this is right and the tube isn't gassy. As soon as I can I'll try applying HV to it.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

I sincerely hope for the best for you. I would be somewhat untruthful if I said that I was not envious. But very happy to see you with the set.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

Congratulations on a very lucky find and may good vibes follow in the restoration. After a careful check of the usual suspects, I'd bet the thing plays!

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

gotta say, after looking at the CT-100 schematic for a while, I do have a lot of respect for those who tackle one.
Keep us updated!!!
Old 03-21-2013, 03:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

One clue for CRT is any tiny presence of blue (in a dark room) around gun elements when testing w/out HV
Audiokarma