Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Portable Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:09 PM
Motorola Minion

Magnavox mini 5"

I saw this at SA and could not pass it up for $8.
Cord and remote were missing. Dated 2001 and makes a great picture.

i am thinking of transplanting a DTV converter PCB into it, then it will have a useful remote.

Not sure if I could adapt it for 12 vDCbut I dint see a jack.
Minimag.JPG
Old 02-06-2013, 02:54 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Have a strange affinity for those l'il guys...(grin)
Old 02-09-2013, 06:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

That's not a 5" TV, it's a 9-inch set.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
That's not a 5" TV, it's a 9-inch set.
I have the same set. It's a Funai built set. I forgot that the power cord was removeable. Strickly an AC set. Use Funai codes for universal remote, as Magnavox codes don't work.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:22 AM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
I have a lil 'ol Panasonic set like that I got for ten bucks at the swap meet. Looks brand new...and even has a remote. The power cord is a funny coiled thing like a telephone receiver.

That set actually has a GOOD little 9" picture on it and LOTS of sound. I've never had a reason to open it up yet. Yours has little RCA jacks in front. Mine has none. Yours must be much newer, because I think the front mounted RCA jacks are for the newer MUCH more portable video game systems and video players, so they have migrated to the front so you don't keep having to wrestle with the set.

Probly has all sorts of space inside for some extra stuff, within reason. DTV...or even one of those tiny media players (I did that to one of the 5" chinese b/w sets). Likely just a single PC board at the bottom. I'm not sure I would try and tackle the whole 12V thing unless it was obvious. I'd just run it on an inverter if it needed to be 12V. Those inverters are now like $29 bucks or so now, and have improved quit a bit since they are expected to be "computer grade" these days.

To me...I think 9" is a nice sweet spot for NTSC color sets. Small, but VERY watchable.

Last edited by AiboPet; 02-11-2013 at 07:38 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 03-12-2013, 07:22 AM
Motorola Minion

I think I'll just try to place that DTV converter PCB inside it and then use the DTV converter's univeral remote. Thanks for the Funai clue, Dave!

If I can make a good portable that needs only an external UHF antenna, its a success.
It gets such a nice picture (9" is so small) a conversion upgrade for OTA DTV is a natural.
I need something for moving around when doing projects around the house and garage.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
I think I'll just try to place that DTV converter PCB inside it and then use the DTV converter's univeral remote. Thanks for the Funai clue, Dave!

If I can make a good portable that needs only an external UHF antenna, its a success.
It gets such a nice picture (9" is so small) a conversion upgrade for OTA DTV is a natural.
I need something for moving around when doing projects around the house and garage.
I found that the only board that was small enough to fit inside, is one from an RCA converter. It has a separate power supply board, that can be fitted elsewhere.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiboPet View Post
I have a lil 'ol Panasonic set like that I got for ten bucks at the swap meet. Looks brand new...and even has a remote. The power cord is a funny coiled thing like a telephone receiver.

That set actually has a GOOD little 9" picture on it and LOTS of sound. I've never had a reason to open it up yet. Yours has little RCA jacks in front. Mine has none. Yours must be much newer, because I think the front mounted RCA jacks are for the newer MUCH more portable video game systems and video players, so they have migrated to the front so you don't keep having to wrestle with the set.

Probly has all sorts of space inside for some extra stuff, within reason. DTV...or even one of those tiny media players (I did that to one of the 5" chinese b/w sets). Likely just a single PC board at the bottom. I'm not sure I would try and tackle the whole 12V thing unless it was obvious. I'd just run it on an inverter if it needed to be 12V. Those inverters are now like $29 bucks or so now, and have improved quit a bit since they are expected to be "computer grade" these days.

To me...I think 9" is a nice sweet spot for NTSC color sets. Small, but VERY watchable.
i would think twice about running any tv on an inverter unless its true sine wave because the modified inverters use square wave and is not good on certain components as i have had sets burn because of using square wave signal.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy View Post
i would think twice about running any tv on an inverter unless its true sine wave because the modified inverters use square wave and is not good on certain components as i have had sets burn because of using square wave signal.
I have a couple of RCA's that are AC/DC. There's another board in the set that is an inverter board that supplies 120 VAC. I never scoped the output waveshape.
Most of the new inverters sold today are modified sine-wave. It's kind of a choppy looking sine-wave.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:45 AM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
Yes..."computer grade" pretty much has to be sinusoidal. Most inverters these days are sinusoidal...or as mentioned before, have a sort of stairstep wave.