Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > VideoKarma Classifieds

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

Philco model 42-350 aquisition and vintage radios for sale.

This past weekend I found a Philco 42-350 in absolutely immaculate condition. This radio is a 1942 table model with AM-FM-Shortwave and works great. The wood finish is all but perfect as is the performance of a completely unrestored chassis. I have been picking up old radios for about 30 years and this one for some reason seems particularly pleasing. As the years go by you just don't find as much stuff like this, much less for a reasonable price.

Many of you have heard or read my posts about needing to thin out the collection. I have a number of 30s-50s table model radios that I would like to find good homes for. The oldest is an Atwater Kent model 20 (with horn) from the 20s. A few of them are pictured in my ad in the Classified section of this site, but I have more. Originally I had hoped to move more TV sets than radios, but TVs are very hard to ship and I am not having much luck finding someone to come pick up a few. Radios should be much easier to move as they can be safely and cheaply shipped to most locations. If you are building a collection and need some new additions send me a PM. Sometimes it takes me a few days to get time to check messages, but I will get back with you as timely as possible.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:23 AM
Administrator

Moving to classifieds. What are you asking for the Philco?
Old 10-26-2012, 02:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

I fell in love with the Philco that I mentioned, so I will keep that one. I have other Philco's along with a lot of other brands. I wonder if anyone is into German Lowe Opta sets. I have one of those that I brought home from Germany back in the 80s that used to have far superior sound to what we are used to in a table top radio. It still sounds pretty good, but has a little distortion in the sound. Probably a tube, but I don't know how to test the Euro tubes. The thing is incredibly well built as well.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubejunke View Post
... I found a Philco 42-350 in absolutely immaculate condition. This radio is a 1942 table model with AM-FM-Shortwave and works great...
How do you get the FM band to work? The Philco has the prewar band 42 to 50MHz.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penthode View Post
How do you get the FM band to work? The Philco has the prewar band 42 to 50MHz.
This thread was continued on the Classifieds page and I believe that I addressed my confusion on this topic. I did not even know about the old FM band and thought that the radio had a problem when in fact it doesn't. It works perfectly as designed. There are ways of injecting FM signals through this type of receiver, but I don't think that I will bother with doing it.
Audiokarma