Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > VideoKarma Classifieds

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:11 AM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
Hey bgadow....

Got the little set this morning. As usual...a box sitting on my desk as I came in to wake up the network.

Pleasant surprise.....It's NOT silver like I thought...and not black. So a NEW color for my little collection of these. It's sort of a "gunmetal grey". Works great, and it's of my favorite version of the three or four of that reference design. The one with the RCA jacks on back for audio and video.

You were right in that this thing has NO brand...not even on the label in back, just a "Personal Black & White TV with AM/FM Radio" - "MODEL NO. 2300-BWZ-BD503 NTSC-M"

Thats kinda trippy. The thing is a little touchy with the AV/TV switch on the back, but about half of them with that option are like that anyway. Otherwise seems to be perfect (such as "perfect" is with these)
Old 09-13-2012, 11:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Real glad it found a deserving home!
Old 09-14-2012, 05:22 AM
On Land

I have one of these little CRT tv's... mine is red. Used it once just to see how well it worked. It even features an emergency light on one end and a magnetic compass on top! That's something you just cant do without on a television... a compass!!

The set worked fine... not bad for a little cheapie.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:07 AM
"micro" and quirky

LOL..... One of my neighbors was over, and IMMEDIATELY noticed that instead of my having the 55" Samsung on, and my surround system...I had THIS little set sitting on the coffeetable on and was watching "The Last Man on Earth" on it.

"Why you watching THAT THING?" and this look on his face like I had a RAT up on the table eating a corn dog.

Some just DON'T get doing anything that isn't excessive :-P
Old 12-28-2012, 12:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi;
I too caught the "Colby Bug".
Is there a service manual/schematic available?

The only thing that I could fine is the spec sheet.

Mick M
Audiokarma
Old 12-28-2012, 01:06 PM
"micro" and quirky

If anyone ever finds one.....I would REALLY appreciate having a schematic to this reference design.

I have so far just gotten by with "prodding, poking, logic and guessing" when it comes to the initial fixing of one that came to my doorstep (I think I have like 25 of these now...mostly different colors). They are identical enough that just having two or three of the more boring ones as "parts sets" will fix like TEN of 'em by just switching out yokes, CRTs, speakers or the occasional "well THERE'S yer PROBLEM!" you'll see when tearing one apart for some reason. If it's in this cabinet..with those two switches and the dial volume control and headphone jack on front.....it's this same set, even if it says JWIN, Yorx, GPX, Coby, Pacific Technology, Curtis,etc Even KB Toys and the Pro Bass Shops have their own branded one of these. I saw one on ebay that is even Nestle Kit-Kat (the chocolate bar) branded! I would have it already (REAL cool transparent red!)...except that it was like $50 BIN priced at the time.

There are like three or four variants to this same basic "Coby" set....but appear to look mostly the same except for inclusion or not of A/V inputs or charging circuits. I don't even know who "actually" builds these or if there is an actual "original" version.

I've tried allover to find a schematic for the Coby "CX-TV1" or whatever that particular model number is (it's not in front of me right now), since this Coby set appears to be the most prolific brand I see. Only problem is....I have seen this SAME exact model number Coby set come with and without the RCA jacks, so still not sure which one is the "reference design", but they are gonna be almost identical anyway. I do know the CRTs are pretty much identical even with all the different CRT manufacturers. I have parted out three or four of the sets to fix others with never an issue swapping CRTs.

As cheap and chincy as these sets are.....I have yet to have fixed one and then have it go pearshaped. Usually anything wrong with them is from when you first got it. You fix it, and it seems to STAY running. The first one I got was in the alley and looked like someone had THROWN it down the street. I stuck the perfectly working set in another plastic cabinet....and it's still sitting in front of me on my desk at work since I fixed it in 1996 or whatever. I always turn it on to test A/V stuff or watch old Star Trek episodes from a USB media player almost every day.

This little "sub" collection....is by far the quirkiest part of my collection. I have alot of small sets that are different, but I keep this one collection of "the same set...just different" completely seperate from the others.

Last edited by AiboPet; 12-28-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

I picked one up at the GW a few years ago. Absolutely no name branding or manufacturers name on it. What's really strange is the antenna connection. It's a Belling-Lee, like that found on PAL equipment.
It's a blue, semi-transparant case. I know the sound doesn't come in on the right tuner setting.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:42 PM
"micro" and quirky

I have a couple like that where the picture and sound offset is weird. I get GREAT picture...or GREAT sound with no IF buzz, but have to really mess with the dial to get both at the same time. Again, without a schematic, I don't really know where to go to maybe see where that carrier offset is at. There IS a single pot near the tuner board that appears to affect this just a little. Looks like an AGC of some sort or maybe it is a fine tuning of some portion of the signal.

With no schematic, it's kinda hard to really fix these beyond just being able to recognize the main sections of the set and "dead reckoning" troubleshooting. These are simple enough to just fix with basic TV receiver knowledge though. I've only had ONE of them completely stump me...and it quickly became a doner that fixed like four other sets.

Only reason I REALLY would like a schematic.....is because it would be fun the next time I find a "basket case" in a rubbish bin. I guess these are just FAR too disposeable for anyone to think someone would want to FIX one.

I'm just weird like that though. If someone was selling a Yugo or a Chevy Vega for a couple hundred bucks.....I'm the one who would within a month be DRIVING that car just for fun. For no practical reason at all, just that it was fun to fix it up and use it again.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi;
this is my model: GPX TVP7

There is an old ebay listing:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GPX-TVP-7-...:B:SHOP:GB:101

No other info.

Mick M
Old 12-28-2012, 02:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

[QUOTE=

I'm just weird like that though. If someone was selling a Yugo or a Chevy Vega for a couple hundred bucks.....I'm the one who would within a month be DRIVING that car just for fun. For no practical reason at all, just that it was fun to fix it up and use it again.[/QUOTE]

The Yugo was a Fiat 125, a real "world car" , built in several countries in the former Soviet union.
What you really want is a Plymouth Cricket. Made in Britain by Rootes. I don't think too many of those survived.
Audiokarma
Old 12-28-2012, 04:15 PM
"micro" and quirky

Yeah Mick. That's a trippy little set. It's CLOSE but not quite the same as the particular design the little "Coby" sets are. I bet it's pretty close though.

THIS set would be just one of many of the reference design I have allover the place. This one cabinet design appears under no less than a DOZEN "rebadges".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Portable-B...item19d7c6d58e

I'm actually starting to become very curious just WHO actually "really" makes this set. I'm almost certain it's gonna be some really obscure chinese company that may not even sell the set at all as their own....or if they do, ONLY find it in China. You can see by the three or four different PC boards that there is some reference design...and then a few actual manufacturers. There are also four or five different cabinet versions that have VERY subtle differences.

This same unit also comes from "Curtis" and GPX in both this same configuration AND one that houses a little cassette mechanism in a seperate top piece. I find the cassette version VERY odd, because it is also portable with the "C" batteries, and quite reasonable to take on a picnic or something....BUT.... neither the Curtis or GPX one have a handle of any sort to carry it like the TV/radio has on top

The cassette one was designed VERY portable.....but at the same time REAL annoying as a portable. It could very easily have been designed with a handle. Most who own one likely never thought anything about it until they wanted to TAKE it somewhere

Last edited by AiboPet; 12-28-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:50 PM
On Land

Wow... a Vega. Now THAT is scary!

Old 12-28-2012, 07:39 PM
Chasin roundies since '79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Wow... a Vega. Now THAT is scary!
I was helping a buddy lift the engine out of one (with bare hands), when the jackstands fell and the car dropped a couple of feet. I got mine out, but he had his arm pinned. Dumb idea not to have taken it off the jackstands first!

He rebuilt the engine, which had blown its umpteenth head gasket, so he used Form-A-Gasket instead. Too bad I wasn't there when he fired it up - the mess it made was spectacular!
Old 12-28-2012, 07:55 PM
On Land

I'm thinking the dumb idea took place before the jack-stand mishap.

However, I do remember my dad's sister driving a Vega when I was a kid. She didn't keep it long enough for it to start blowing head gaskets.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

A couple of years ago I saw a white Chevy Vega Kammback wagon here in a store parking lot, completely restored, looking like new. It was amazing there was anything there to restore!

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Audiokarma