Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > VideoKarma Classifieds

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Wanted: TV-radio-phono combo

I have a customer in San Francisco who would like a late 40s or very early 50s combo TV-radio-phono. These are not easy to find a home for, so hopefully this will be an excellent opportunity for someone to sell one. This customer is particularly interested in getting an Admiral one with the AM/FM/phono all-in-one unit (phono attached to top of slide-out radio unit). However, if one of those doesn't turn up, other models will be considered. Needs to be in excellent shape cosmetically. I'll restore the functionality of the electronics if needed.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Administrator

I have a 1950 Philco 12" very nice shape but the CRT is dead, I'm also 500 miles from San Fran.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well, that's a start. Can you post or send some pictures? I see some 12LP4s advertised right now, so the CRT wouldn't be a problem. I don't know if this customer would be willing to drive that far, but if something better and closer doesn't come up, he might very well be interested.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Tom, here's a link to some pictures.
The back isn't shown but it is there, just not installed at the moment.
It's a fairly plain jane set but in decent condition, the worst blemish is probably the one bottom center.

I paid $50 for this set, stupidly I didn't check the CRT first.
I'd like to get a little something for it even if it's only $20 but I will give it away if needed to get it out of my Dining Room.

The Cat pictured is not included.

http://vintagetvsets.com/temp/1950philco50-T1478/
Old 08-12-2012, 02:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi Eric,

Thanks for providing the pictures. I've passed along the info to the interested customer, and will wait to see what he says. That should help clarify what he's looking for and how far he's willing to drive.

Always nice to see a friendly cat in the pictures! We've got a couple of cats here as well.

Any other combos out there? There must be more stuff here in the Bay Area...
Audiokarma
Old 08-12-2012, 04:00 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Tom, I have a nice combo set, but its cabinet needs to be completely refinished (an add-on "blond" finish was stripped off years ago but the cabinet is in good condition otherwise), so I suspect it is out of the question. I may already have a buyer as well, though.

Sets do appear on Craigslist fairly often from the early to mid 50s in our area, but the prices vary wildly.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 08-12-2012, 02:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

I ran Eric's Philco by the interested customer, and he decided not to go for that one. He is really partial to either Admiral or RCA, and doesn't like the type of record changers that Philco used. He did mention, however, that traveling some distance may be OK, so I think southern Cal is possibly within range.

Chris, you're right that he might not be interested if the cabinet is in need of substantial work, but does your happen to be an RCA or Admiral? Perhaps he might consider it, and line up someone to do the refinishing.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:07 PM
John Q

If the customer could look through some the many pics avaliable on the websites that show vintage radio and tv's it would help. I think there are some websites that specialize in Admiral. I've used them before and they have every make and model you can think of. Here's one

http://www.vintageadbrowser.com/electronics-ads-1950s

Last edited by charokeeroad; 08-12-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

I think he's particularly interested in the Admirals with the pull-out radio/phono unit, like this one from the vintagebrowser site mentioned above:

Old 08-13-2012, 01:31 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Tom, mine is a 1949 Magnavox, and it does have a buyer now.

I know that I have seen those Admirals come up several times, as well as RCAs (such as the one with two turntables), but maybe not here in California. I will keep my eyes open for any similar sets nearby.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Audiokarma
Old 08-24-2012, 02:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

I am guessing this is a bit older than what you are looking for, but thought I would show it anyways

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/atq/3211944917.html
Old 08-24-2012, 04:22 PM
Restoring Moto VT71s

Nuts - you're so far away. I'd be happy to give away this Admiral combo sitting in my garage CRT is good and I have all the knobs missing in the photo.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here is another one in the Bay area, but again, perhaps too new

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/atq/3177984693.html
Old 08-28-2012, 07:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hello we have 2 combo units that are admiral but we live in indiana will sell one if you arrange for shipping the one for sale is in a blond cabinet pix wil be availible by next week please fil free to pm me thank ypu...
Old 08-29-2012, 04:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well, I think he'd like to stick with at least the West Coast area, and after looking things over, he's a bit undecided on what he wants. In the last few conversations I've had with him, it looks like he may be becoming more interested in a DuMont, to get a higher end unit.

Sorry I can't give a precise description of exactly what he wants, but the postings here are definitely appreciated.

banderson - I see yours even has a tape player!
Audiokarma