Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > VideoKarma Classifieds

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Wanted: Zenith TV 9-57-VCR module

My Zenith television has some "flag waving" on the top of the screen when I use a VCR. I was told that they made a replacement 9-57 horizontal module to fix this problem. It was a 9-90-02 module attached to a blank 9-57 board. If anybody has one, please let me know.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghjkl67 View Post
My Zenith television has some "flag waving" on the top of the screen when I use a VCR. I was told that they made a replacement 9-57 horizontal module to fix this problem. It was a 9-90-02 module attached to a blank 9-57 board. If anybody has one, please let me know.
I had mentioned that the board was available a while back and no one seemed to know about it. I used to use them all the time. I got rid of all my Zenith modules, when it quit TV repair in the late 80's. I'll check with a friend that has a lot of Zenith parts.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:18 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
My Zenith television has some "flag waving" on the top of the screen when I use a VCR.
Another solution for "flag waving" from a VCR is to use one of the little black boxes (usually they are gray) that removes the copy protection.

Another solution is to copy the VHS tape to a recordable DVD and play that. This works as most DVD players have some sort of time base correction, which most VCR's lacked. This works for a home made tape, but for most commercial tapes, you still will need the little black box to copy it in the first place.

Jas.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ever since the analog TV signals went away I have had different issues with both VCRs and DTV converters on sets that played beautifully before. I know this is a bit off topic as VCR "flagging" is a pretty old matter. Just thought I would throw this in as a related topic. I may have some sort of issue with channels 3 and 4 on the two sets that seem to be the most troublesome.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

earlyfilm,

I believe what you are talking about is a macrovision remover. I have looked these up before, and it seems that they all use RCA type connectors which do not fit older televisions. Is there a model you know about that uses a regular coax connection?

If I cannot find the module, would anybody be willing to build and sell me one? I know where to get a 9-90-02 and a broken or new 9-57 module. All the parts are available to make it work, I just don't know how to connect a 9-90-02 board on this chassis.
Audiokarma
Old 06-10-2012, 08:10 PM
M is for Memory

If you are using a VCR,DVD,cable box, or DTV box then it should have a video out that you can feed into a macrovsion remover then all you have to do is take the audio out of your signal source and the video output of your macrovision remover and feed them in to the respective inputs on an RF modulator(which you can get at most electronics stores and sometimes at thrift stores), you can also use a second VCR as an RF modulator if it is more convienient.

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Is there any specific macrovision remover that you recommend? I tried using a video stabilizer before, and it doesn't seem to remove the macrovision protection. I have not used it on this TV yet. It might be worth a try.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:41 PM
M is for Memory

I can't recommend any macrovision remover that is currently in production because mine is from the 1980's.

Video stabilizers can help greatly with VCR generated synch issues from bad tapes(or tape-deck tracking issues), like flag waving, and random lines of video being horizontally shifted, but for stable sources like cable and DVD a stabilizer will not likely yield and improvement in synch issues because if a TV can't synch properly to a good signal than the TV it's self is not working properly.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

The TV works fine with a cable box, it just looks bad with a VCR. I have a Radio Shack Archer video stabilizer, the ones with four knobs that you can find on Ebay most of the time. It has a coax output, so I think it has a built in RF modulator. Some time this week, I will give it a try.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
The TV works fine with a cable box, it just looks bad with a VCR. I have a Radio Shack Archer video stabilizer, the ones with four knobs that you can find on Ebay most of the time. It has a coax output, so I think it has a built in RF modulator. Some time this week, I will give it a try.
My old hybrid Zenith 14A9C50, as well a my earlier model RCA's flag wave, when playing back a VCR tape. It seems all the manufacturers addressed this problem in the later 70's. It isn't only the copy protected tapes, but the ones recorded for time shifting.
IIRC, the only early model sets that didn't do this were the pre-1978 Sony's and Panasonic's
They had plans to sell us VCR's a little later on.
Audiokarma
Old 06-11-2012, 03:21 PM
M is for Memory

I can't speak for the archer unit (though I do have two of their 4 knob processors for enhancing old tapes for dubbing which I haven't really checked for stabilization functionality), but I will say that my Toshiba DVD-recorder/VCR combo has a GREAT stabilizer built in to it(it can completely fix rather bad flag waving and many other funky synch issues my VCRs put out).