Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:38 PM
roundie not so n00b

Sony KV-1212 dumpster score!

Someone had the nerve to put this poor defenseless 'lil skreebler out next to the dumpster in the middle of some nasty, cold, drizzly weather. It had only been there a couple minutes or so because I had just thrown out a big bag of trash - it wasn't there, and forgot to empty out the Dyson dustbin. Voila, there it is.

Anyway, it wasn't wet... it's now sitting in my living room atop the Philco happily displaying colour bars. It has some problems, as you can see - and it does the same thing with the strong VTR signal that the Philco tuner did - the VTR is set for Ch3 but the TV displays a picture tuned to CH2. Picture is AWESOME... I can't tell you how much I love vintage Trinitrons. The PICTURE knob also has an ugly sticky patch towards the end of its travel. COLOUR and TINT knobs feel a little worn out, they offer little resistance while turning. Someone repainted it at some time in its life, it has a nasty coat of white paint over the woodgrain. How would I go about removing that without harming the woodgrain? Also, ideas on fixing the picture?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KV12121.jpg (55.5 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg KV12122.jpg (62.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg KV12123.jpg (46.4 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg KV12124.jpg (40.0 KB, 52 views)

Another idea.....instead of expensive anti-psychotic drugs, let's provide schizophrenics with dummy bluetooth headsets. They'll easily blend into the crowd, although I suspect their "conversations" would be far more rational than those of the typical Wal-Mart shopper.

Ron
Old 12-04-2011, 03:05 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Pincushion is out of whack, unless that's just the camera.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:39 PM
roundie not so n00b

Pin pot does nothing and yes it's bad

Another idea.....instead of expensive anti-psychotic drugs, let's provide schizophrenics with dummy bluetooth headsets. They'll easily blend into the crowd, although I suspect their "conversations" would be far more rational than those of the typical Wal-Mart shopper.

Ron
Old 12-04-2011, 04:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'll have to try mine out soon, I have it covered to keep the cats from destroying it. Great save on your part! Hope someone can help you with that paint problem too.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

It's nice that you have a good CRT there. Best of luck with it.
Audiokarma
Old 12-04-2011, 05:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hopefully that white paint is latex. You can probably tell by trying to peel a little of it. It may have preserved what's under it. You might try soaking several thicknesses of paper towels in plain water and then apply to one of the painted areas, cover with saran wrap, and leave it a day or two. If that doesn't work so well do the same but add some spray household cleaner to the towels.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:43 PM
roundie not so n00b

Thanks, I'll try that! Any ideas on the pin? The pin pot doesn't move it an inch.

Ron
Old 12-04-2011, 08:27 PM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

I once had an old Trinitron set that had pincushion problems like that. The trouble turned out to be a bad electrolytic capacitor in the pincushion circuit. It is too bad the CRT was tired in mine. The old 1970s Trinitrons are good sets.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:43 PM
roundie not so n00b

Heck yes!! I had one from 1976 that I had to give away a few years ago, I wish I remembered the model #. Broke my heart and I've always wanted another. Even with the pin issues, this one has astounding colour! I couldn't stop watching it... it'd be so nice to have a larger set with this same vivid, eye-pleasing colour

Ron
Old 12-04-2011, 09:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nice save,

OK now I am going to have to go get my KV-1951 (1976 19" trinitron with "Lumasponder" and econoquick) out of the attic and throw it on the bench, CRT is strong and crisp but the Pincushion is horrid, need to get me a sams for it.

Matt
Audiokarma
Old 12-04-2011, 09:42 PM
roundie not so n00b

Post pics and a play-by-play!

Ron
Old 12-05-2011, 01:40 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

I agree with Compucat, the pincushion problem (and on your set too, Matt) is probably one or more bad electrolytic capacitors. The best way to test electrolytics is to use an ESR meter, but without a schematic diagram, you can try subbing spare caps across various ones on the board near the pincushion pots and look for results on the screen. (You need to use an isolation transformer when you do this, or be VERY careful to not touch anything in the set while it is plugged in!) If Sony sets from that era are consistent with newer ones, the caps you want to check will have numbers in the 500s (c505, c512, or similar). Let us know if you have any success.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 12-05-2011, 08:28 AM
Mark

A little rough, but still kawaii! I have one too, the vinyl veneer is peeling off. I think I'll re-do it with something much prettier. If the paint won't come off or the thing looks like kuso when it does, re-veneering is a piece of cake on something this small and simple.
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26