Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > VideoKarma Classifieds

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

WTB: Older "talking book" phonographs

I am looking for older "talking book" record players that were designed for the blind/visually impaired to play talking book records. These will generally have some kind of data plate attached to the machine that indicates it's purpose. It will usually read something like "talking book reproducer", "American Foundation for the Blind", etc. The models from the '30's thru around '57 usually only played at 33 rpm. Some would play 33 and 78. From '57-'64, most machines would play 16 and 33 rpm. From '65-on, most machines played 8, 16, and 33 rpm. And, some of the older models from the '30's and '40's had a built in AM radio. My main interest covers units from the '30's, '40's, and '50's. There are a couple of solid state models that would interest me. The first is the model AE5, which was housed in a two tone blue plastic case. The second is the model CT1, which was made in the '90's and was a combination cassette and record player. During the '70's, there were some cheap built models made that were in various colored plastic cases and the model numbers ranged from A70 to A80. The models from this series are the least of my interest; but, I might take one just to bridge the gap in my collection. My goal is to find as much old "talking book" playback equipment as possible.

Oh, and I would also be interested in any records. They will have a Braille label on one side and a print label on the other side.