Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > VideoKarma Classifieds

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Wanted: DuMont RA-119B1 service literature

Looking for a service manual, schematic, parts list, etc. for the single chassis version of the Royal Sovereign. Willing to buy originals or pay for copies.

Also looking for a yoke for the same set.

I think getting this set playing is going to be one of my winter projects, soon as the local golf courses close.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy (2) of IMG_1785.jpg (74.0 KB, 9 views)
Old 09-20-2009, 02:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

WISCOJIM, I have a DuMont RA119-B1 set, in good working order. I have never been able to locate ANY service literature of any kind on the set, and I have been looking for many years. However, it is a very straightforward set to restore. If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know. As you know, it is not much trouble to pull the chassis out sould there be something you need me to check or measure. I also have lots of chassis photos (underside), if any of these would be of help. Keep us posted on your progress. It is good to see another 30" DuMont out there. How is your CRT?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BACK.jpg (47.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg RA119_PRINT_2.JPG (8.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 09-20-2009, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Man, the chassis is just dwarfed by the massive cabinet on those sets!
Old 09-20-2009, 11:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Folsom View Post
WISCOJIM, I have a DuMont RA119-B1 set, in good working order. I have never been able to locate ANY service literature of any kind on the set, and I have been looking for many years. However, it is a very straightforward set to restore. If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know. As you know, it is not much trouble to pull the chassis out sould there be something you need me to check or measure. I also have lots of chassis photos (underside), if any of these would be of help. Keep us posted on your progress. It is good to see another 30" DuMont out there. How is your CRT?
Thanks for the info and the offer of help, John. Yours is the only other one of these I've ever heard of. I would like to have the chassis underside photos of yours handy when I do pull my chassis. If you have convenient access to them, would you please email them to me? If they are not handy, no rush. I probably won't have time to get to work on this set until December anyway. (My hobby email: tvsandradios@new.rr.com ).

I've also looked for years for the service data on this set, including purchasing several piles of old DuMont TV service folders. But I never found any reference to this particular model, with the sole exception of a Google link to an earlier thread where you mentioned having one of these.

I have both this one and an RA-119A. The CRT in the "A" tests good, but the one in the "B1" set shows no emission. The filament lights, and the CRT base is loose. At some point I'll remove the base and pray I find a bad connection inside. Both CRTs appear different. One has a black bell like yours, and the other has the orange one as pictured in my first post.

I've had both of these Royal Sovereigns for several years, and I figure sooner or later I'd better get at least one of them working and in the living room. I was hoping to tackle the much easier B1 chassis first. If the second CRT is truly a dud, I'll restore only the B1 chassis, and pass the second DuMont off to someone else who would like a display only set. Or I could always make the largest TV aquarium on the planet...

I'll post again later with some more pictures for everyone to see the differences between the two versions.

Thanks again for the offer of help.

Jim
Old 09-20-2009, 11:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
Man, the chassis is just dwarfed by the massive cabinet on those sets!
I'll be posting pictures later of the other version of this set using two chassis. They are more in proportion to the cabinet, but still there is enough room in there to hide a few corpses.
Audiokarma
Old 09-21-2009, 01:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
I'll post again later with some more pictures for everyone to see the differences between the two versions.
Here are a few pictures, and I've posted a whole bunch over at Snapfish:

http://www5.snapfish.com/thumbnailsh...NAME=snapfish/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1783.jpg (65.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1808.jpg (58.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1786.jpg (50.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1787.jpg (56.9 KB, 8 views)