Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:40 PM
RCA 741PCS

I'm pretty sure it's just paint. I didn't really put much effort into cleaning it yet and I expect it could be made more respectable. The same can't be said of the cover over the bleeder resistors on the left. That paint has blistered from the heat and some rust has set in.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:12 PM
RCA 741PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvflyer View Post
Bob, is that cage "blued steel", some kind of plating or is it just paint? If it is blued, you may try some gun blue from a sporting good store or gun shop. I have found some transformer bells that were blued but somewhat rusty. They responded very well to cleaning and bluing. What comes to mind is a lot of Allied Radio Knight-Kit transformers.
You were right! It is some sort of bluing. I cleaned it with some Naptha then buffed with Meguires Swirl X. I don't doubt that gun blue would work even better.

Any of you 630TS restorers have tips on removing these two electrolytic cans ? The bracket looks like a PITA to get out since at least one nut is blocked by a can.

Last edited by bandersen; 07-30-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Can't you just break off the twist lugs to take the cans out? (Not a restorer but used to do this all the time.)
Old 02-12-2013, 09:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
Bob, take out the little can first, take off all the wires and then straighten out the Twist tabs.. Then do the same to the longer one.. Then take the two screws off of the side of the Bracket, that should give you just enough movering room to Back out the longer cap.. If not, You might have to loosten the Screws and nuts a little on the transformer, to get the last quarter inch of room.. Them moving the Bracket out away from the back of the set, you should be able to slide out the cap.. Make sure before taking either cap out the you can wiggle them out some, and that the twist tabs are not still holding the cap in place..
THANK YOU marty
Old 02-12-2013, 10:42 PM
RCA 741PCS

Sure, I could break off the tabs except that I plan on restuffing and remounting the cans.

Thanks Marty. I wasn't sure there would be enough clearance to get out the larger cap. These must be a real pain to service if the horizontal centering pot needs to be replaced!
Old 02-13-2013, 04:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

Bob,

I don't know if you go to a Hamfest from time to time or are a member of a local club. What I did was buy a box of NOS electrolytic cans a few years ago at one of our club auctions. That way, I can just cut off the tabs to remove the capacitor Then I replace the steel "common" ring with a new one. However if one saws the can off, this would not work. I always un-crimp the can and pull the guts. I do really like the looks of a "stuffed" electrolytic can over placing discrete capacitors below. Maybe most of what I have done is stereo tube integrated amplifiers (HH Scott) and there is little to no extra room below deck. Takes me about an hour to do one.

Just a thought.

Glad to see progress. I love these old sets. Who Wudda Thunk that 60 years later, anyone would care about these sets?
Old 02-13-2013, 07:13 AM
Looking For Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post

Any of you 630TS restorers have tips on removing these two electrolytic cans ? The bracket looks like a PITA to get out since at least one nut is blocked by a can.
I was able to get the larger can out through the bracket and the lower terminal strip with a bit of patience and wiggling. I removed the wires from the capacitor and straightened the mounting tabs. The smaller upper can was still in place at the time.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
Sure, I could break off the tabs except that I plan on restuffing and remounting the cans.
Gotcha. I was coming from the mindset of a half century ago when we were replacing with new off the shelf parts.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
Bob, I took out all of the cans at once, which was a mistake for sure.. But, now I know.. So, I am Paying for that mistake now.. Live and Learn.. And I have all three manuals / schematics, Sams, Riders and RCA.. If, you do have to loosen the Transformer Screws, it shouldn't need more than about a 1/2 turn, or so.. My only thought about talking the smaller cap out first, was that it would give you some more wiggle room.. And since it has a common resistor tied to both caps, it would be easier that way.. Your choice..
THANK YOU Marty
Old 02-13-2013, 12:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

try Mouser; on page 906 those new 12 mm E-caps too restuff the cans with!!..you can reuse the can to cover up you're restuffing!Jody
Audiokarma
Old 02-13-2013, 01:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

I probably would have just hacksawed those caps off in place. But I'd have to take steps to protect the wiring I see down underneath, next to the transformer. Then thread new cap leads thru the rubber gasket to the cap terminals. It would look like hell, though
Old 02-13-2013, 01:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
Personally, I wouldn't Hacksaw a Cap, to me that would be an insult to the idea of Restoration..
THANK YOU Marty
Old 02-13-2013, 01:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

a Dremel tool with a cutoff disk would be awhole lot better
Old 02-13-2013, 02:20 PM
RCA 741PCS

Thanks for all the tips
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47'Plymouth View Post
try Mouser; on page 906 those new 12 mm E-caps too restuff the cans with!!..you can reuse the can to cover up you're restuffing!Jody
Yep, already ordered them a few weeks ago Incredibly small, very long life (10,000 hrs), 105C and high ripple current. The best caps on the market AFAIK. Also a bit expensive but I figured this set was worth it.

I've gone back and forth between un/recrimping the cans and cutting them open. Here's an Admiral chassis I'm also currently working on with one of those new skinny caps in my hand for comparison. I used a very sharp utility blade to cut them open cleanly right at the shoulder.

I will be un/recrimping the RCA caps though.

Last edited by bandersen; 02-13-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

I was able to remove that large electrolytic from my 630 just by removing the wires and solder, straightening the locking tabs, and wiggling it out. Here is how they turned out after the uncrimp, restuff, and recrimp. It certainly is a tight fit, but I had just enough room to get it out and back in.

Dave

Last edited by Zenith6S321; 02-16-2015 at 06:32 PM.
Audiokarma