Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-10-2003, 08:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

1964 zenith with space command 400

I just found this tv today. A very nice zenith with a hard to find space command option, especially on a round tube set! A man down the street from me had two old late 60s portable zenith color tvs at his curb when I was driving to work, (one was pictured on sixties tvs thread) I found another today, a silvertone. I figured this man must have more in his house somewhere, so I went and rang the door bell to see if he had anything else he was going to get out. He was an older man (83, he told me) and invited me into his house to show me what he had left. Well, the zenith you see pictured was by far the best find ever for me! He bought it new when he moved into the house in 1964. It did not work at all, it smoked when plugged in. It was still in his living room as a piece of furniture as it stopped working in 1985 from what he told me. It was well taken care of, it is almost mint, and was not a smoker. It had the light grey dust on the chassis, so it was in a good environment. I spent all afternoon on it, shorted filter cap started the filter choke to smoke, luckily I had a junk chassis to fix that, along with the capacitor. Dried up electrolytic in the remote chassis caused the remote not to work, and a bunch of bad tubes. The crt however is super bright! It did not get much use from what he told me. This has adjustable bass and treble control as opposed to the common tone control. after all the repair and remote alignment, tv sounds great and has a wonderful picture. This is rather ironic of a find, as I just mentioned a few days ago about remote contol sets being extinct! This was a good deal we made, I get the tv if I fixed his old daily watcher RCA XL-100 mural tv from 78! A simple tuner and control cleaning fixed it up.
Old 02-10-2003, 08:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here is the case when the folding doors close
Old 02-10-2003, 08:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

inside
Old 02-10-2003, 11:14 PM
On Land

New approach to finding sets!

Hey! Neat looking set! The chassis looks super clean! Those doors look pretty cool when closed!

That's a new approach we'll have to try for finding sets! Go door to door in an elderly neighborhood and ask if they have any old sets to throw away. Probably get better results if the person has lived in the same house for several years. There are probably lots of sets still sitting in older folks' living rooms that haven't been played for years!

My 93 year old neighbor across the street has a 1965 Magnavox entertainment center that hasn't been used since 1975. I fired it up for her a few years ago when her big screen was in the shop. She watched it for 3 days with no trouble (other than having to get up to change the channel). When i asked her if she could part with it, she said she wouldn't have any place to put all of her family pictures! She did, however, tell her daughter it was to be given to me once she was gone.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 02-11-2003, 01:12 AM
Banned

Hey DRH,

That is a great find! I have a similar Zenith, probably the same chassis' with the space command remote feature but I was thinking mine was a 1965. I have two ultrasonic remotes that probably work with my set (if I restore it) but they are different than the one shown at the top of your picture. They are called Space Command 400. Which remote control do you have? Mine have four function buttons.

Rob
Audiokarma
Old 02-11-2003, 01:15 AM
Banned

Inside. Main chassis is rusty but I have another Zenith with the same chassis and a poor cabinet I can rob in much better shape. The remote chassis to the right looks clean.

Rob
Old 02-11-2003, 07:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

Rob,

Your zenith is great! These are my favorites! The remote I had was one I had sitting around in my remote collection. I have no idea if there were different versions of the 400 remote, as I know there were different versions of the 300. Can you take photos of your differnet 400 remotes? I might be able to match one to my cabinet and hopefully find the correct one on ebay (If mine is incorrect) Mine has the four buttons and says "space command 400", where as the tv says "space command four hundered". I have found out that the tv and remote should match in the way the wording is arranged.
Thanks!
Old 02-11-2003, 09:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

Rob:

Your set might be a 1964 model as in 1965 Zenith came out with the Space Command 600. The 1965 model line up show a set that looks very similar to your TV except the knobs (drawer pulls) along the bottom are a bit larger.

Steve
Old 02-11-2003, 03:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by drh4683
Rob,

Your zenith is great! These are my favorites! The remote I had was one I had sitting around in my remote collection. I have no idea if there were different versions of the 400 remote, as I know there were different versions of the 300. Can you take photos of your differnet 400 remotes? I might be able to match one to my cabinet and hopefully find the correct one on ebay (If mine is incorrect) Mine has the four buttons and says "space command 400", where as the tv says "space command four hundered". I have found out that the tv and remote should match in the way the wording is arranged.
Thanks!
drh,

Thanx for the complement. Here is a picture of the two remotes I got with this set. Both are called Space Command 400. One contains no indications that it is for color, the other does. otherwise both are the same. None of the functions are for color adjustment. I have a much newer looking Zenith ultrasonic remote that is functionally identical to these as well. The chimes inside look the same too so it is probably function compatible. I'll haver to take a photo and post it here.

SteveK,

Thanx for the year info. I am pleased if mine is a '64 model. I don't know if I'll go to the trouble of restoring this set, although I could with the better chassis and aluminum CRT bezel from my other unit. It will need some finish touch-up as well. The CRT in this Zenith measures good and the back is in good shape.

Rob
Old 02-11-2003, 05:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Those remotes are interesting. I wonder then if mine should be like the one you have pictured on the right. My next door nighbor had a zenith table top b/w set that had the four hundered just like the one pictured on the left, so that I assume is for b/w sets. its looks just like a 600. Do you know if the one on the right was the correct original remote for your zenith? If so, I need to find one! Is your tv a 25MC33 chassis?
Thanks
Audiokarma
Old 02-13-2003, 09:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

sc400

Is the 400 remote identical in shape and size as a 600 remote? In my space command manual, it says that the 400 and 600 are the same remote functionally except the 600 has a different cover plate to include the hue control button designation.
Doug
Old 02-13-2003, 10:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

Doug:

If I remember correctly the 400 and 600 were identical except for the markings on the top. The hue control was adjusted by the remote's outside buttons.

Steve