Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Introductions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

Smile Wow! and Holycow!

Just joined and posted my first thread here on the Antique Radio area. I'm really happy to see so many here with the same interests that I have.

I can see this is going to be fun. For many years I've been a Ham (1970) and enjoyed building Heathkits and working on ham gear and building antennas. I've collected a few old Antique radios and, the one I talk about in my first posting, my Hippo (Philco 46-420 AM radio) that I grew up with.

Thanks for being here!
Buzz
Old 03-21-2011, 01:13 PM
RCA 741PCS

Hi Buzz. Welcome to VK
I restored a couple hippos last year. They're fun little radios.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:03 PM
<----Zenith C845

Hi Buzz -

Greetings, and welcome to VK from northeast Ohio, near Cleveland.

I am a ham operator as well (WB8NHV, since 1972) and have enjoyed the hobby immensely during that time. I have had several different station setups and have operated in three different locations (two Cleveland suburbs and my present home, a village some 35 miles from downtown Cleveland) in my almost 39 years in ham radio; however, since moving to an apartment 11 years ago (no outside ham antennas allowed in my apartment building and indoor antennas don't work well), I now operate exclusively on 2m FM with an Icom IC-T22a handheld with a 3/8-wave telescoping antenna and, for HF, Echolink. My node number for the latter is 331660.

I like antique and vintage radios too. My collection consists mostly of 1950s-'60s Zenith tube radios, although I do have a 1980 Zenith R-70 nine-transistor AM/FM set (an excellent performer and my favorite portable, BTW, with four FM IF stages, two such stages on AM and ceramic filters on both bands, and impressive sound with a push-pull audio stage and a 4" speaker) as well as Sony and Aiwa transistor sets.

Again, welcome to VK. I've been a member here since 2003 and have learned an awful lot from other members' posts, as well as getting top-notch advice regarding troubleshooting and repair of my treasured vintage (and two antique) radios. These guys are a grand bunch of folks, always willing to help -- all you need to do is post your request for assistance or comment and someone will answer, again, always with excellent advice.

BTW, VK has a ham radio related forum known as "The Amateur Radio Spot", devoted to anything and everything having to do with this wonderful hobby -- from the venerable 1950s-vintage Heathkit AT-1 Novice ham transmitter to the latest solid-state gear, along with info on propagation, antennas and other popular amateur radio topics.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks!

Thanks for the welcome Bandersen and Jeffhs.
I too have been a Ham for many years.. Got my Novice ticket in 69 or 70. Amateur Extra since 82 and love it. Call is N7CTF.

My interests vary from month to month it seems.. soon I'll be out fishing and hiking. Got a tower to put up this spring too. My rotor broke this last fall so I took it down and the dipole broke as well. Snow is so deep so though it best to wait for spring for the whole thing.

I mentioned before, Bandersen, that I enjoyed your vids.. and wow, you sure have a bunch of them!.. keep up the great job!.. Your a big help for anyone in this hobby!

BuzzSaaw
Old 03-22-2011, 06:48 AM
Not sure how I got here.

Hi ! I'm not a ham, I'm a squirrel! I really love making squirrel minded comments to those here who are very serious about their stuff. Often I just say to posters "bury it in the yard!" I repaired tvs early in life, now middle in life I want to restore a few older sets radios and tvs just for watching the honeymooners, Hazel , stuff like that. Welcome and have a great day !
Old 03-30-2011, 12:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Smile Squirrell Boy

Hi Squirrel Boy,
I'm looking forward to some of your comments to my postings. Getting the "Squirrel View" opinion on stuff...

Thanks for the Welcome

Buzz