Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

"Textured Blue Paint" - as used on RCA equipment

I was wondering if anyone knew how one can achieve that kind of mottled, almost crackle like texture paint finish that is used on the early RCA "New look blue" broadcasting equipment?

My TK60's and some other gear have paint damage and other marks on the original finish and I am thinking about repainting them but wondered how you get that authentic RCA type texture into the finish again?

I've contacted a number of auto repair places which quote a minimum $220 fee just to look at it but say that they are unlikely to be able to do it for less than a few times that price!! - if at all!!

Surely its not that hard? - has anyone else attempted to match paint texture finishes like this before?
Old 05-28-2012, 08:42 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Unfortunately, they may be telling the truth. That "textured, Mottled" paint is VERY finicky to apply right where it doesn't look like @zz. I never have had much luck w/it. Best you can do, maybe is to try & match the color w/a std paint, give it a spray over where needed, & maybe take a small paintbrush & try to "spackle" it in to where it SORTA matches... Good luck !
Old 05-28-2012, 12:37 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

wonder if it bears any realtion to:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CPIMXK?...131%2F47.shtml

or

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007ZHAJ2?...131%2F47.shtml

maybe you could find the right texture and then put on a second coat of non-wrinkle blue for the color ???

I don't see any easy way to patch it though - would have to be a complete strip and re-do, I think.