Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:06 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
Sometimes, I connect the dish to an MPEG DVB receiver as well.
DVB..That was my original plan with my Winegard dish, until the dish got blown over and bent out of shape. I have a feedhorn-LNB that slides in to a Chaparral C-band ring assy. and a DVB receiver with HDMI out. If anyone wants this stuff I'll make you a deal.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:43 PM
<---WANTED: Motorola 17P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Fool around w/one today, & you'll inevitably find the big Hornets' or Wasper nest that is always present-Somewhere on the dish...
Yep, mostly inside the Feed housing.....

SR
Old 08-22-2016, 10:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Fool around w/one today, & you'll inevitably find the big Hornets' or Wasper nest that is always present-Somewhere on the dish...
Under the LNB cover. Every goddamn time.
It's one thing to service the thing in the summer but it's another to quickly get down a ladder once they've made themselves aware you just ripped open their nest.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

In my case it's Yellow-jackets!

About a week ago, I Noticed a varying signal on G-19. when I started to climb a ladder to take a look at the feed horn assembly on the old Channel Master 10 footer when I noticed them comming and going. Tapped on the feedhorn cover with a long pole and quite a large number came out.

Guess I will wait until winter and clean out the feedhorn, perhaps upgrade the LNBs.

jr

Last edited by jr_tech; 08-23-2016 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:02 PM
Still Y2K Compliant!

That was a wonderful era! I had two TVRO setups. One was installed in 1989, and the other in in 1999. One was C-Band, and the other C and KU-Band. Lots of neat stuff out there back in the day, many unscrambled analog feeds. Used to love the network feeds. Then slowly, digitization, scrambling, and loss of most of the channels. I ran a 4 DTV sidecar for a long time first years of this century. Eventually I moved, and although I still own that property, the dishes are still there but unused. No sense in bringing them to where I now live, since there's not much to watch any more. I still have the Houston Tracker receivers stored away. Their VC II modules long dead. Someone asked about the descrambling gear still sold on Ebay. What do people do with those units now?

www.galaxymoonbeamnightsite.com
Audiokarma
Old 08-26-2016, 08:17 PM
<---WANTED: Motorola 17P6

I got 3 DSR-905 sidecars rotting in a box along with a couple GI IRDs.. 4 videociphers, 3 DVB units, 2 dishes and a few dish movers laying around. About time to clean house sadly.

Still keep checking into SATFORUMS to see if anything new going on and to keep up with fellow owners, but you can see tumbleweeds passing through these days...

The technology is alive and well, but we were shut out of the market by small dish and cable headends who hated the competition.. Ala-carte programming was a real threat to them.. If people could see what that signal looks like BEFORE their provider gets ahold of it, theyd be pissed.... Nothing beats a first gen signal...

Sad to see it gone.....

SR
Old 08-29-2016, 11:57 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan1a
I always wanted one but they were too expensive then.
Is there any analog content still left on the bands these recieve I wonder?
Old 08-30-2016, 10:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

When I was growing up in the 80's my parents had a couple friends with dishes. I remember they had constant problems, mostly from lightning strikes. In the early 90's a guy I knew asked me to take a look at the dish he had bought (or maybe had given to him.) He couldn't figure out why he couldn't pick anything up. Well, I quickly found it had a lot to do with the fact that he had just nailed it to a salt treated post and shoved it in the ground, no concrete or anything, and it wobbled all around, plus the motor was shot, so, no, there wasn't anything to see! I fiddled with it one afternoon and tuned in some Canadian hockey games (choice of English or French) which impressed the heck out of me but he didn't seem to care. He would eventually offer me the setup if I'd haul it away but I decided it wasn't worth the trouble.

I cleaned out a TV shop a few years ago and he had a big stack of nice looking equipment, some NOS or refurbished. I couldn't give it away.

I spotted a big dish on my travels today and it made me think of something I saw at a flea market about 10 years ago: they had taken a bunch of fiberglass dishes, turned them upside down, and used them as umbrellas over flea market tables. Really wished I'd taken a picture!
Old 08-31-2016, 07:22 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
When I was growing up in the 80's my parents had a couple friends with dishes. I remember they had constant problems, mostly from lightning strikes..
Mine was very reliable, made it almost 24 years with very few issues, all mechanical. No lightning problems ever, even from a strike nearby that took out several things in the house including the bell transformer in the attic! One time I tried moving the dish to another satellite, didn't realize it was frozen with ice on the actuator arm. Broke a gear inside, had to replace the arm. Pole set in a 3' x 3' x 3' block of concrete in the ground, stayed aligned even on the Ku band.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

Many of them get reused as reflectors for solar water heating. Bonus points for tracking the sun as it traverses the sky.

I've still got a pole-mounted winch for one-man lifting dishes off poles. Removes a lot of drama from the process. Haven't used it in ten years, though...

Chip
Audiokarma
Old 08-31-2016, 08:26 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

My Dad had me get one for the tenant guy & his family up at our farm. Virgle went from getting one or 2 stations rather badly, to more than he could possibly watch. This was in the glory days before much scrambling. All he had was a small color set-MAYBE 13", but he soon got himself a ginormous console. He'd NEVER seen TV w/o snow or some sort of interference.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:19 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

There is just one analog channel left now on a C-band satellite, it seems, C-SPAN.

The consumer digital 4DTV service JUST went away less than two weeks ago, the last remnant of an industry that lasted over thirty years to varying extents. Now it is entirely a specialty or hobby activity.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 09-06-2016, 06:02 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Ah Well thats better than no analog left on it right?
Old 09-06-2016, 03:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
There is just one analog channel left now on a C-band satellite, it seems, C-SPAN.
Thanks much for the info! Today I carefully lubed the bearings of the old Channel Master 10 footer (a few yellowjackets are still around) and headed over to AMC-11 (named C-3 on my old GI 550i) and found it still is on tp-07 as shown on the OSD. The satellite, at 131 degrees W is now about 30% obscured by tree branches and likely a few yellow-jackets in the feedhorn, so the picture has "sparkles", but it is still fun to find the last programming that the old system will receive.

jr
Old 09-06-2016, 03:26 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
... The satellite, at 131 degrees W is now about 30% obscured by tree branches ..
Don't take any risks trying to clear up a few sparklies trimming the tree. Or be sure to think it through well.

In 1991 I was frustrated that S2 the farthest East satellite for me with the NASA channel on it was obscured by a limb on a hackberry tree. I went out with a pole saw to cut off a 3" dia maybe 15' long branch, damned thing snapped off and swatted me down like a flyswatter. I was trying to get out from under it when it hit me. I twisted my right ankle around 180° into a multiple fracture. That's the day I became permanently disabled in that right ankle.
Audiokarma