Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-09-2013, 12:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Austrian Combo from 1956

Let's start a more or less typical story:

Usually I don't find the time to write long commands or threads because I'm very busy mostly.
After a bad ski fall a few days ago and a 3 hour anterior cruciate ligament tear surgery last weekend I have to stay in bed for the next days.
So I used this time to introduce my made in Vienna radio TV and record player combo from 1956 which I bought via ebay a few years ago here in Austria:
Generally it was in good condition but of course it needed the usual work. I replaced all wax caps with axial Styroflex and MKP caps a few tubes and resistors. It was also required to replace one of the power supply electrolytic caps because it overheated.
Further a coil in the horizontal circuit generated a terrible whistling noise. This coil was replaced from a junk set. I took my whole set apart cleaned everything, polished the original varnish and it looks really nice now. A few minor scratches are still there but compared to the age of this set that does not matter and is better than a new varnish in my opinion. I also built in an unfortunately not original isolating transformer because of safety reasons. The original isolating transformer was an option and so they are extremely rare. I have seen only one set that had such a transformer built in. It is a series connection heater set with a live chassis. I was able to do this without drilling any not original holes.
The next things I replaced were the original castors which were hard as stones. An other idea I had was to protect the set from dust and sunlight. So I asked my dear mum if she would sew a dust protection cover made of a special fabric. You can see the really well made result on one of the photos.

A few words to the technical details: You can't compare this device with a CT 100 but it has a lot of interesting features:
Radio and TV are combined on one big aluminium chassis. The handwired circuit is more than complicated to realize this. It has a VHF TV tuner and a full range AM, FM radio with 5 loudspeakers. One of them is an electrostatic tweeter, another one a big Isophon low frequency speaker. This speaker is driven by the TV vertical output circuit if the set is switched on radio mode. The sound of this set is very impressive. The 4 speed record player is a made in Germany dual. It is possible to connect a wire bound remote control for volume and brightness. The pictures on the screen are from an famous Austrian actor Oskar Werner who plays Mozart in this film from 1955. As you can see I used all conceivable cliches
I hope you will like my combo and thank you for reading.

Greetings
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1894.jpg (33.0 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1889.jpg (56.5 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1877.jpg (31.3 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1813.jpg (57.6 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1808.jpg (64.6 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1878.jpg (43.7 KB, 92 views)