Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-22-2004, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Nice Maggie on eBay

But pricey:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=3638

Anyone know who the Magnavox collector is?
Old 02-22-2004, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Picture

forgot the pic,
Old 02-23-2004, 04:30 AM
Mac and Roundie TV lover

Quite a beauty. Sigh. I'm glad it's so far away. If the set was here in LA I'd have to get it....
Old 02-23-2004, 04:36 AM
On Land

Yeah, that set is quite tempting... even at that price. The seller does a good job at his wording in the description. Makes your mouth water just reading about it!

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:40 AM
Will fix about Anything

I have seen this collection, he used to live in Knoxville, I will do a hunt to find his name but it's been about 6 years since we talked. Several of the sets in the collection have been repaired by me, though most were working when he got them. Look carefully he has Magnavox from beginning to today - an unbelievable collection worthy of any meuseum, and all in his home.
Audiokarma
Old 02-23-2004, 10:16 AM
heathkit tv

A sad commentary on most companies is the lack of regard for their own history. Years ago it was common for larger firms to have a museum on premises or at the very least archived information.

Packard, Studebaker, even Lionel trains all had collections. As time marched along and they ran into financial problems these collections (with the exception of Stude) were dispersed.

Packard's vehicles were "liberated" and lots of their records and files were burned or thrown away.....Lionel's goodies were sold off at fire sale prices......but Studebaker luckily had the foresight to donate their whole kit and kaboodle to the city of South Bend.

The round about point I'm trying to make is that nowadays even if a company is in good shape they for the most part don't bother with maintaining a record of their history.....and if they had, then they usually dispose of it as it detracts from the bottom line.

Seems it's up to "loonies" like us to horde stuff until ultimately a museum can be found to preserve such items. There's a really neat place in Minden Nebraska named the Pioneer Village which collects and displays all manner of Americana, something that no one else has done to such a large scale:
http://www.pioneer-village.com/
Seems we need more of these sorts of places nowadays.

Have been attending the on going sale of the remains of the Indian motorcycle company and keep digging up historically significant stuff among the rubble. Have been giving these items to a former employee for safe keeping....we both recognize the future historical value although no one else there does, they're all worried about squeezing the last buck.

Anthony
Old 02-23-2004, 10:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

He bought my Late Aunt's 1963 maggie combo off doug last year.
He is a very serious Magnavox collector!
I have the same model combo that he has listed and what he says about it is true! That thing will drive you out of the room.
I especially like the speaker setup in it.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:38 PM
Will fix about Anything

Sent Jim an email and an invite to join the group, he liked the thred on his set, may sign up this weekend when he has more time. Hope he does, he is a wealth of marketing, model, and sales information, and has one heck of a collection.......
Old 02-23-2004, 09:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

That would be great! I for one would have a lot of questions regarding those sets.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:47 AM
<----Zenith C845

I just saw the pics of that Maggie console. Nice looking set; even better, it works--TV, radio, phonograph, everything is in A-1 shape, according to the description. Someone is going to be very happy winning the auction for it, although the winner is going to have to find a space about seven feet long in his/her living room for it, as this console, like all the 3-way theatre units, is just that big (witness the later Maggies of late-'60s vintage with 25" rectangular CRTs, full remote control, etc., in their huge cabinets). I could never fit something that big in my small apartment, but then again, I can get the same theatre effect by routing the audio from my cable box through my stereo system (sounds great on the digital music channels on the cable system here, not to mention musical productions on PBS, etc). My TV isn't nearly big enough, at 19", to qualify as a home theatre component (and I don't have a DVD player yet--still using my VHS VCR), but the system is plenty good enough for my purposes. Fits very nicely along one wall in my apartment. Even if I could afford and had the room for that Maggie console, I would not bid on it for those reasons. In this day and age of bookshelf stereos, entertainment-center cabinets and mostly table-model TVs, who but a collector with a lot of room and money, not necessarily in that order, would bid on a huge and old set like that?

IMO, $475 is probably as much as this console would have sold for when it was new 39 years ago. However, Eric H. is probably right about the price being too high for a set of that vintage being sold today. I think the seller is like many beginners on ebay, not knowing much about auctions and just wanting to get as much money as possible from the sale.

I shudder to think as well what the shipping charges for that console will be for any distance over about 10 or 20 miles. Perhaps that's what Eric H. meant by his remark about the price; the opening bid, which almost certainly will have gone up by the time the auction ends, plus the shipping charges (which, I am guessing, would probably be well over $100 if the console is to be shipped any appreciable distance from Georgia) will add up to some figure many of us cannot afford. It would not surprise me if the winning bid is something in the neighborhood of $600 or more. Add those sky-high shipping charges, and Eric H.'s observations as to the final price of this auction make a lot of sense.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 02-26-2004 at 02:51 AM.
Audiokarma