Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

TV turn on and off on one channel only

I have a 40" Sony XBR4, purchased early 2008, and no issues yet. Today I was scanning channels and stopped at 17.3 (portland oregon) and the tv turned off. Then on, then off, and kept doing that with out changing the time pattern. It would start to turn on, then turn off before I saw a picture. About 4 cycles every 30 seconds.
I finally unplugged the over the air antenna, and the cycle stopped and the tv turn on, and stayed on. I plugged the antenna in, and was back to the turning on and off. The only way to stop this was unplug the antenna, then turn the channel.
The TV now works fine on all channels except 17.3, where the problem will occur again. Channel 17.2 does not cause problems.
Channel 17.3 is a mini tv guide type channel. I have deleted this channel from the program but does anyone know why it does this?
Old 12-01-2014, 10:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

It sounds like there is something on that channel--probably mis-synced horiz or such--causing some sort of shutdown. If it ONLY happens on a channel or two. Perhaps the MCZ chip in the HV ckt is getting marginal and goes into shutdown easily. Or is this a flat panel set ?
Old 12-02-2014, 02:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

A friend that lives within sight of the tower says that the program guide on 17.3 is no longer being transmitted. Kinda funny though... instead of a "no signal" indication, he gets a "no audio, no video" indication on that sub channel. He does not experience any unusual turn on-turn off problems, and reports that the other sub-channels (17.2, 27.2 and 37.2) are being received normally.

jr
Old 12-02-2014, 07:24 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

I recall in the early days of digital, some TVs would shut off from corrupted data being transmitted. Mitsubishi as I recall, but who knows might apply here too. I would lock out that channel if there's nothing there to see.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

I'd go back into the setup menu and rescan the channels to see if that makes any difference.
Audiokarma
Old 12-02-2014, 02:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Its a flat panel HD tv. The Sony XBR9 upstairs does not do this. I turned that one to the channel and yes, channel is now blank. I just removed it manually out of my programming for the tv. Its just weird why it did this. Its was like the tv station was able to turn my tv on and off. But I will just put down as some kind of design flaw or defect for now.
When I let the tv rescan channels it will put the channel back in.