Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-15-2004, 02:19 PM
heathkit tv

Site for GE PortaColor sets

Thought this may be of interest to some of you, this was posted recently on the Antiqueradios site:

http://www.rwhirled.com/portacolor/

There's an interesting statement there:

"First mass-produced color TV with the three electron guns arranged in-line rather than in a delta (triangular) pattern (I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I can't think of an earlier one.) Also, as an aside, during development of the Trinitron tube, Sony had considered licensing GE's picture tube technology as used in the PortaColor. (The Trinitron is a single-gun tube, however, and was based in part on the earlier "Lawrence" (Chromatron) tube which was never perfected or put in production). "

I didn't know that these sets used such a picture tube, only knew them for their extensive use of Compactrons and that because of the compact nature of the chassis that many repairmen didn't care to work on them.

Anthony

Last edited by heathkit tv; 01-15-2004 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:49 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I remember we had a Porta-Color, one of the 1st ones, in '65 or '66. Little guy lasted 'til we got a Trinitron in '72-'73, & I think my dad sold it, it was still soldiering on. Didn't have all that great of a picture, but it was !! COLOR !!, kinda "gadgety"- my dad liked that-& really was all we could fit in the space we had.-Sandy G.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

These GE sets use an inline tube that still uses dynamic convergence with convergence coils for the red and blue only (green is in the center). This is in contrast to most other types of inline tubes which depend on a specially designed yoke and the placement of yoke wedges and permanent magnets to get edge convergence. The GE inline with convergence coils was also used in 1980's 19" sets up till they sold to Thomson. These sets have a simplified convergence control panel with 6 or so controls instead of the usual 12 for delta gun CRT's.
The 11" Porta-color 70 degree CRT also continued to be used in the transistorized successor to the tube Porta-color up till 1986.

Another point is that the Porta-color appears to be the last tube type set made. The latest one I have is from 1976; have read on news groups that one was seen from 1978. Can anyone confirm one made at such a late date?

Last edited by Chad Hauris; 01-16-2004 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

that same inline gun was even used in a 25v tube in the ym chassis.
Old 01-17-2004, 04:01 PM
Eric C

I don't know how close color tv chassis are to black and white, but the porta-color sets always remind me of the 11" GE b&w portable circa 1963 that we had. It might have been strictly the layout.
Audiokarma
Old 02-16-2016, 04:34 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathkit tv
Thought this may be of interest to some of you..
Yes I have been looking over it,seems quite interesting!!
Old 02-16-2016, 10:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathkit tv View Post
Thought this may be of interest to some of you, this was posted recently on the Antiqueradios site:

http://www.rwhirled.com/portacolor/

There's an interesting statement there:

"First mass-produced color TV with the three electron guns arranged in-line rather than in a delta (triangular) pattern (I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I can't think of an earlier one.) Also, as an aside, during development of the Trinitron tube, Sony had considered licensing GE's picture tube technology as used in the PortaColor. (The Trinitron is a single-gun tube, however, and was based in part on the earlier "Lawrence" (Chromatron) tube which was never perfected or put in production). "

I didn't know that these sets used such a picture tube, only knew them for their extensive use of Compactrons and that because of the compact nature of the chassis that many repairmen didn't care to work on them.

Anthony
Actually Sony's Trinitron tube was Based on Philco's "Apple" picture tube.