Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-01-2017, 11:13 PM
Betamax Betamax is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 4
Don't support Habitat For Humanity-E-waste

If there's a Habitat For Humanity Re-Store in your area-DO NOT support it as they are and have been actively destroying our electronic heritage. I am currently near Owen Sound, Ontario(I am from and live in North Bay), and there's a Re-Store, just south of Owen Sound, near the old drive-in movie theatre and a Mission Thrift Store on the North end of Owen Sound, although they also do e-waste and I gave them a very stern warning about wrecking vintage 1940's to 1970's TVs as well. This post especially applies to all Ontario collectors of vintage TVs and vintage electronic gear. Don't forget, Habitat For Humanity has also smashed/demolished some rather interesting vintage homes as well including Mid-Century-Modern homes as well. Do not support the OES(Ontario Electronic Stewardship) or Greentec either-They are crooks polluting China's ecosystem and both destroying our planet and our electronic heritage as well. Just some food for thought for those looking for vintage gear in Southwestern Ontario.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-02-2017, 12:00 AM
MIPS's Avatar
MIPS MIPS is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: West Canadia
Posts: 442
...Has it not been obvious that their ReStore business model has not been "take in rando construction supplies and appliances and see if it sells" for a while now? I don't think there are any large chain thrift or used X supply stores that still use that business model. It often ended up with tons of cool stuff that took forever to sell and looks bad on paper.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-02-2017, 07:53 PM
Titan1a Titan1a is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Plattsmouth, NE 68048
Posts: 367
Objection noted.
__________________
Rick (Sparks) Ethridge
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-02-2017, 10:27 PM
bgadow's Avatar
bgadow bgadow is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Federalsburg, MD
Posts: 5,410
I've found that policies vary widely from location to location, probably up to the whim of local management in many cases. I've been in some ReStore locations where you can find genuine bargains & while I haven't stumbled on a tube chassis TV I've seen plenty of 80's/90's electronics. Another location, meanwhile, apparently hired someone from Mars to handle pricing. I honestly don't know how they sell anything as the prices are so out of line. I've bought 60's color sets at both Goodwill & Salvation Army stores yet other locations of their stores trash any & all crt TV sets.

If it makes you mad enough...you could always volunteer to be on their board of directors! It hasn't made me that mad
__________________
Bryan
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-02-2017, 10:49 PM
Electronic M's Avatar
Electronic M Electronic M is online now
M is for Memory
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pewaukee/Delafield Wi
Posts: 9,015
The IIRC Wawatosa habitat is where I got my 30$ Dumont RA-103. They ain't all bad...
__________________
Tom C.

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 12-04-2017, 09:24 PM
dieseljeep dieseljeep is online now
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
The IIRC Wawatosa habitat is where I got my 30$ Dumont RA-103. They ain't all bad...
At one of the locations, I got a Zenith 12A12C52 in fair condition.
At two other locations, I missed out on a couple of really nice Motorola three channel stereos. Damn!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-07-2017, 09:05 AM
Freon's Avatar
Freon Freon is offline
Apprentice Necromancer
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Normal, IL
Posts: 23
Most, if not all, Goodwills do this too, as part of a recycling program with Dell.

Unfortunately, this is more the norm than the exception with thrift stores these days.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-07-2017, 02:32 PM
DavGoodlin's Avatar
DavGoodlin DavGoodlin is offline
Motorola Minion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: near Strasburg PA
Posts: 2,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
At one of the locations, I got a Zenith 12A12C52 in fair condition.
At two other locations, I missed out on a couple of really nice Motorola three channel stereos. Damn!
I scooped up a lot of good stuff at the two in South Central, PA. tho they no longer takes any "tube TV's" in. I pop in to both regularly, both are on my 1-hour commute.

If the one in Harrisburg has obvious antique show up, example is a 1956 21" RCA BW console missing its safety glass but intact and most recently, a 1929 Radiola Console sold via silent auction.
I always correct/augment the price tag info when I see these.

Lancaster's has supplied me with numerous bargain-priced consoles like a 1967 Fisher Statesman, 1968 Sylvania TOTL Maestro each with Dual 1009 record changers.
When a friend was manager there a few years back, he alerted me to a 1948 Magnavox Windsor (minus the TV of course) and a Philco 41-290 console both complete and in restorable condition.
To compensate him, I restored the Philco 100% for their silent auction, it fetched $500.

They know the value of these now-antiques, yet SO VERY few are in this hobby locally. I can assure you these Habitat folks are waaaay kinder to this hobby than the "household hazardous waste" aka E-waste operations that are sanctioned by the County waste Authority. This is a whole other story, and it is one that sucks as Betamax,the original poster, has described.
__________________
"When resistors increase in value, they're worthless"
-Dave G

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 12-07-2017 at 02:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-07-2017, 07:21 PM
zeno zeno is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 2,796
This is a no win situation. Charities cant sell recent stuff for more than a
few bucks. They have NO idea what value older sets have & which ones.
I would bet almost all would keep a POS GPX stereo & junk the tube
type McIntosh ! The stuff I see in our local GW etc is all recent & of
poor quality. I would rather have the crap brands from the 70's than that junk.

Another big problem is there just aint many of us. No market.
If you intend on saving some stuff try this.
Talk to the manager. If they get stuck with it they have to PAY to get rid of it. Point out they MAKE money giving it to you. Hope you have a BIG barn !
Do this with the local dump also. They charge $10 to $35 each around
here. If you take some away they are cutting a fat hog in the ass.
Other than expanding our numbers* not much we can do.

* Treat newcomers to the list with respect. I have seen a few that were not.
They may not know anything but neither did all of us once. Make the first
repair or restore a pleasant thing helped along by some decent, patient
folks. Honey not vinegar.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-07-2017, 08:07 PM
centralradio centralradio is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 987
Its sad to say that I dont like to support any charity where the higher ups and the CEO's are lining their pockets with the proceeds.It should be investigated.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #11  
Old 12-07-2017, 08:38 PM
bgadow's Avatar
bgadow bgadow is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Federalsburg, MD
Posts: 5,410
I have a friend who volunteers at a local independent charity thrift store & he's always bringing me boxes of stuff. They don't take anything big but I get lots of transistor radios, handheld TV sets & other electronic odds & ends. If it weren't for him I'm sure a lot of the stuff would get tossed as most of the volunteers that do the sorting are 80 year old women.

A few years back, when I was still growing the collection rather than shrinking it, I sent flyers out to all the local stores with a big photo of a color roundie, offering to haul away for free or perhaps pay for certain sets. I remember getting 2 calls: an 80-year old woman volunteer at a little thrift shop gave me several BPC sets (which I promptly set out on my curb-I just didn't have the heart to tell her I didn't want them) & the manager of a Salvation Army store had a 60's color combo in somewhat disheveled condition. He was obviously disappointed when all I offered him was $15, but then he begged me to take away a late 70's Sears console (I had to pass on that one). I suspect most of that stuff showed up on his loading dock when the store was closed & now they were stuck with it.
__________________
Bryan
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-09-2017, 02:39 AM
Jon A.'s Avatar
Jon A. Jon A. is offline
Bullies beware.
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
This is a no win situation. Charities cant sell recent stuff for more than a
few bucks. They have NO idea what value older sets have & which ones.
I would bet almost all would keep a POS GPX stereo & junk the tube
type McIntosh ! The stuff I see in our local GW etc is all recent & of
poor quality. I would rather have the crap brands from the 70's than that junk.

Another big problem is there just aint many of us. No market.
If you intend on saving some stuff try this.
Talk to the manager. If they get stuck with it they have to PAY to get rid of it. Point out they MAKE money giving it to you. Hope you have a BIG barn !
Do this with the local dump also. They charge $10 to $35 each around
here. If you take some away they are cutting a fat hog in the ass.
Other than expanding our numbers* not much we can do.

* Treat newcomers to the list with respect. I have seen a few that were not.
They may not know anything but neither did all of us once. Make the first
repair or restore a pleasant thing helped along by some decent, patient
folks. Honey not vinegar.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
I agree wholeheartedly bruh. I don't understand the fat hog part but I like it.

As for the newcomers, yeah, don't shoot the millennial (or the older ones for that matter). I almost always screw up something the first time I try it.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-09-2017, 09:55 AM
WISCOJIM WISCOJIM is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Grand Chute, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
I agree wholeheartedly bruh. I don't understand the fat hog part but I like it.
I had to Google that to make any sense of it.

http://www.answers.com/Q/Where_does_..._ass_come_from

"The term originated in the Ozarks, and originally derived from when a man would slaughter a hog and discover a (surprisingly) thick layer of fat (or lard) between the meat and skin, which would then be able to be rendered off and used in cooking throughout the coming year.

When a person was to have something that comes into their favor they were to say that "they cut a fat hog in the ass"."


Not a phrase that I'd be likely to adopt.


.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-09-2017, 10:42 AM
dieseljeep dieseljeep is online now
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
I had to Google that to make any sense of it.

http://www.answers.com/Q/Where_does_..._ass_come_from

"The term originated in the Ozarks, and originally derived from when a man would slaughter a hog and discover a (surprisingly) thick layer of fat (or lard) between the meat and skin, which would then be able to be rendered off and used in cooking throughout the coming year.

When a person was to have something that comes into their favor they were to say that "they cut a fat hog in the ass"."


Not a phrase that I'd be likely to adopt.


.
All the old time cooks know that hog lard makes the best home frys, deep fried food and pie crusts.
Rumor has it, that the original McDonalds frys were fried in lard, until some of the heart-smart types started complaining.
Authentic Mexican cooks still use lard in many of their delicacys.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-09-2017, 01:16 PM
zeno zeno is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 2,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
All the old time cooks know that hog lard makes the best home frys, deep fried food and pie crusts.
Rumor has it, that the original McDonalds frys were fried in lard, until some of the heart-smart types started complaining.
Authentic Mexican cooks still use lard in many of their delicacys.
Mc D's used rendered beef tallow for fries. You can still get it.
The fries were considered the best anywhere by most. And then yes the
food nazis drove them to veggy oil about mid 80's. Even the hambergers
could be eaten back then but they changed that too. Used to get
2 cheese burgers & 2 large fries for abt $2. Now McD's costs a
family of 3 more than a loaded large pizza from a mom & pop.
And the food SUKS And they got that damn clown !

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
ęCopyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.