Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

1961 Zenith Console with Space Command

Hi,
I'm in the Dallas area and just picked up a beautiful set from an "antique" shop. I'm told it's a color set with a remote control system called spacecommand. The AM and FM and record player all play well, though I'm sure the preamp and amp could use new caps, etc. TV comes on, but won't change channels. No remote unit came with the set. The cabinet is in mint condition and is a beautiful mid-century modern look.

Anyone know of a tech in the Dallas area that works on such?

Thanks!!!

Steve
Old 08-14-2011, 07:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

a picture would help us know exactly what you have, and then your best course of action.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hard to imagine a color combo from 61ish. Besides some pictures provide us with the model number and the TV section's chassis number and maybe a back picture with the back cover off. Be careful of the protruding CRT!

Also, I'd be hesitant to power up anymore until an inspection and some basic checks...more on that later!
Old 08-14-2011, 11:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

No remote?, no problem. At the shop we used to jiggle our key chain to see if at least one function of the set's remote receiver was working (the early remotes operated by a hammer striking a tuning fork inside the remote, one for each function).
Old 08-15-2011, 12:04 AM
M is for Memory

The grease in the motors that are used in those sets tends to get old and act more like glue. I have a space command that had a stuck motor. I fixed the motor by greasing it and rotating it by hand untill it was free enough to turn on it's own then changing the channel repeatedly with the front button to work the new lube in. Most Zenith space command sets had a manual tuning knob in back that could be used if the electronic remote or push button broke FYI.

Tom C.
Audiokarma
Old 08-15-2011, 10:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

I never saw a Space Command that didn't have the channel selector knob in the rear of the set. I remember the first one of these I worked on. An associate twisted the channel stops so the set would stop on the empty channels. "Here kid, this one won't stop on local channels". When I finally figured out what was going on, I asked him what flowers he wanted at his funeral.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:20 PM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

Zenith didn't re-introduce color unit 1962 29jc20 chassis