Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

RCA TK-30/31 cameras in Australia

G'day.

I've been viewing on YouTube a rare home 8mm film recording of the 1973 Hardie Ferodo 1000 race at Bathurst which can be viewed here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFhvy3CXxBo and around 2:16 a RCA TK-30/31 camera can be seen with the NBN (Newcastle Broadcasting NSW) station logo on it which is something of a real rarity as during the B&W years 1956-1974 Aussie stations used mainly RCA TK-60s, PYE MK IIIs, and Marconi MK IIIs & MK IVs. I did some research on NBN and according to the info on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBN_Television the construction of the station began in 1961 and was supervised by RCA engineers and 90% of the equipment was imported from the states which explains the preference for TK-30/31 camera chains as the TK-60s weren't introduced at that stage. Anyways I've attached a few stills of the camera and the operator, obscured by the bloke with a fishing hat on. I hope NBN still has these cameras tucked away somewhere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tk30.jpg (11.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg tk30a.jpg (11.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg tk30b.jpg (11.2 KB, 16 views)
Old 04-13-2010, 07:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Certainly, the cameras in those pictures would've been TK-31's, as that model had the metal handles on each end which were used for carrying the big lugs.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Red face Cameras

Hi . I am a Broadcast Camera Collector too ,and saw on one of the TV sites that you are looking for a Broadcast Cameras .Have you heard of ATV Station in Sydney (Television Gladesville).I know that the Guys have Good contacts with the Broadcasters & they might have a contact for you .Be quick as there a lot of Dumping going on right now, as everybody gone mad over Digital and this will be our last chance to save this Gear .
Old 04-20-2010, 08:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

I've just found out that station QTQ-9 Brisbane, Queensland also used TK-30/31 cameras. Here is a photo of 3 TK-30/31s in the QTQ-9 studios provided to me by my broadcast collector friend James Paterson http://www.oldtvgear.com/ .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg qtq9.jpg (113.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 04-20-2010, 12:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Shouldn't these be called TK-11/31's? TK-30 was the field (outside broadcast) version of TK-10, and both these early cameras were discontinued by the time Australian TV began.
Audiokarma
Old 04-20-2010, 03:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.B. View Post
Shouldn't these be called TK-11/31's? TK-30 was the field (outside broadcast) version of TK-10, and both these early cameras were discontinued by the time Australian TV began.
Ahh yes, silly me, I forgot to realise TK-11/31 cameras have those rails on them like you mentioned in a previous post and the TK-10/31s don't. So yeah definitely TK-11/31.

Anyways was going through more early Aussie TV pictures sent to me by James Paterson a few years ago and found a nice colour picture of a QTQ-9 RCA TK-31 with a zoom lense and from TNT-9 Launceston, Tasmania a vidicon tube RCA TK-15, see attached images.

Will be interesting to find out if any of this gear has survived and been stored somewhere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCAcamera.JPG (52.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg tnt9camera.jpg (90.2 KB, 15 views)
Old 04-25-2010, 04:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

Done some further searching for more photos of the TK-31 type cameras used in Australia and I came across on the State Library Of Victoria picture search a photo from 1953 of famous Aussie magician Will Alma being shot with a Marconi MK1 camera (Marconi's version of RCA TK-30) (see attached photo) used by Herald Sun Television at Melbourne Showgrounds. This would definitely have been a closed circuit TV demonstration as TV broadcasts didn't begin until late 1956. Anyways this camera whilst having the Marconi badge on it also has the "Television" badge on it down bottom which is standard on RCA TK-30/31 cameras which is interesting as it cannot be seen on the MK1 http://www.tvcameramuseum.org/marconi/mk1/mkip1.htm and neither the vents nor the beer tap handle can be seen either. Anyways worth noting in this thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marconi.jpg (32.6 KB, 17 views)
Old 04-26-2010, 10:48 AM
TV Camera Museum Curator

Marconi Mk1

Hi

The Marconi with the focus Knob is a Mk1 and with the "beer Handle" a MkIB,
My camera is a MkIB. The later, but similar MkII has metal "feet" and may have a ventilation grille in the side or sometimes a box with an addtional? fan in it. There were some incremental production changes as experience and customer feedback was obtained.

The Trim and Logos were another variable.

Interesting picture. PM me with where you found it.

Brian S
Old 06-09-2010, 09:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

I've been trawling the net for more QTQ-9 and NBN-3 RCA TK-11/31 pics and on YouTube found a film snippet of a QTQ-9 TK-31 in action with a zoomer lense, this was shown in a QTQ-9 40 years promo about 14 seconds into the clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgzHiKV6AtA

I've attached a still of it as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rca tk31.JPG (24.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 07-02-2010, 07:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

Here is yet another QTQ-9 TK-11/31 pic taken in studio in 1960.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg QTQ9 RCA TK-31 1960.jpg (60.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 07-02-2010, 10:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Bloke View Post
Here is yet another QTQ-9 TK-11/31 pic taken in studio in 1960.
Great picture. Station was only ~one year old. Kids afternoon show feat "Captn Jim Illife" pushing original formula, dangerously sugared Coca Cola on the kids.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Just saw on YouTube a news clip on TNT-9 Tasmania's 45th Anniversary in which classic clips were shown and about 53 seconds into the clip a RCA TK-15 can be seen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kig8_xE5Ms

I've attached a still of the camera below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tk15.jpg (60.0 KB, 8 views)