Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

GE Roundie

I have a question and a comment:

Q - What year is that GE set from? CTC15's are 1966 or 1967, right?

Comment - Thw wax dripping from the fly may be indicative of not replacing Horiz out, HV Reg and HV Rect tubes at time of CRT replacemnet. I was told by an old TV guy in the '70's that it's a good idea to replace all 3 as a set with a CRT rebuild or new replacement.

Q - Do others in the forum have opinions on that?

Q - Would it make sense for snelson to replace them now if the fly is still good?

OK that's three questions....
Old 09-21-2012, 06:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've came across many times when a crt had been replaced that the flyback would then bite the dust..coincidence?? I'd look at that as an extra measure of preventative maintainance from a service shop point of view.

After they spent all that money on a picture tube job the last thing you would want is an angry customer!

I'd make sure the sweep tubes would test good, even if they had been replaced at some point....after all part of refurbishing a set is checking the tubes anyways.

The CTC-15 type sets came out around 1964 before the mandatory UHF rrequirement.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:01 PM
On Land

The CTC15 & 16 "clones" were made for several years. My 66 Curtis Mathes is a 15/16 clone, and I also have a 68 Truetone that is a 15 clone.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

oh yes its going to get a shake down ,im even going to remove the pva material that crt is starting to get racks on the endge ,when i take it apart i dont want go back in it for a long time . im going to replace the small caps the lytics anything that might show up .when i test tubes even if there slight weak i replace them ,i have a very good supply of new and used tubes ,iv been collecting tubes of all kinds since i was a kid. thats why im still rebuilding that zenith from the barn keep finding things ,i dont want to start on nothing else till that one is complete finished. plus iv got to get things around here ready for winter and im expanding my tv work rooms[ remodeling].
Old 09-23-2012, 11:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

GE Roundie

Thanks, guys! You confirmed what I was thinking about fly issues after CRT replacement.

Best to you snelson! That barn find Zenith is an amazing project you've got going! I don't blame you for wanting to finish that first.
Audiokarma
Old 09-23-2012, 11:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Its more likely the fly would fail due to a weak crt..heres why.

Bad crt = low load on HV, HV regulator tube takes up the slack until it gets weak then the hv goes high and the isolation in the flyback doughnut breaks down and arcs.

Almost all the CTC flyback failures I have seen were due to arcing from the top of the doughnut to the bottom. The high voltage was too high.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

while we are on that subject i would like to find a new flyback still in the box ,or if there was any new one's that was part of any update they might of had .i have three used one's but rather have a new one, id like to watch this tv on a regular basis.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

keep the set in a air conditioned eviroment (low humidity), make sure the HV is properly set, both the anode voltage and the eff coil for min current. Make sure the regulation is working properly, use a variac or a bucking transformer and see how low you can go and still get normal operation. I generally use 105-110vac which seems to work fine. If you do all of the above I doubt the fly will be a problem.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

thanks for the info ,i have noticed over the yrs esp. with older equitment if you notice at the time they were made the line voltage was around 110v to 117v today the average line voltage is 120 plus volts ,today the system is at its limits to get the amount of current / amps that is needed they keep pushing everthing higher.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

i picked this ge up last fall ,im going to be overhauling it in a month or so, i was wondering if anyone had any pictures of sale adds or models that used this cabinet ,but a diffenent varnish colors and different moldings and tunner trim. it looks like this tv is missing something they made it so plain looking, im curious if they dressed this cabinet up any. thanks
Audiokarma
Old 04-17-2013, 10:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

I couldn't find any ads with your style cabinet, but here is one with a much fancier cabinet: http://books.google.com/books?id=RVI...r%20tv&f=false

I know GE was never known for having very fancy styling in their radios.

By the way, does anybody know where GE made their cabinets? They did have a factory in Decatur, IL that made console stereo and record players, and I was wondering if they made tv cabinets too.

While I was looking, I did find a newspaper article on the GE tv sets that had the x-ray radiation problems: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...color+tv&hl=en
Old 04-18-2013, 02:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

thanks for looking egrand, i liked reading about the health warning on the radition on early color tv's .i remember when i was young my mom concerned about that when we got our first color tv in 1968.