Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Vintage TV and Radio Nut

Just Purchased Three Roundie Zenith Consoles

I just purchased three mid 60's Zenith roundie consoles from a 92 year old gentleman.

All of the sets are pretty much complete, though one of the cabinets (the set in the middle) is a little rough. Two are the same chassis (24NC31) from 1967 (I think) and one is a 25MC33 from 1965. The CRT in the colonial set has the CRT socket cap missing, though the wires are still nice and long, and it has the high voltage cage cover missing. Otherwise, all three chassis look excellent. Picking these up was a five hour round trip to southeastern Arizona.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0002.JPG (99.1 KB, 294 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0003.JPG (83.5 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0004.JPG (90.2 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0005.JPG (83.4 KB, 169 views)

Last edited by hi_volt; 01-02-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Yew Lucky Dawg ! Ah HATE Yew....-Yosemite Sam, Esq. Seriously, EXCELLENT score !
Old 01-02-2012, 06:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Deep down inside, we all HATE YEW!!!

BUT

Congratulations on this haul!

Bruce
Old 01-02-2012, 10:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Zenith are stellar performers, would like to find one.
The '65 one matches the "Clayton" on brochure
Old 01-02-2012, 11:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Wow sweet!
Not even any cataract to deal with. Hope the crts have good emission.
IMO RCA has much better color performance but these sets are superior when it comes to the flyback and chassis construction. They probably need hardly anything to get them going. All my Zeniths from that eria have the original caps in them. Zenith used some quality parts when they built those sets.
Audiokarma
Old 01-03-2012, 01:29 AM
"Book em Dano!"

Nice score! 2 have slight cataracts but I would leave them alone since they are a pain in Zenith's to remove. Looks like the third one does not have the safety glass on the CRT. JMHO. We all are a little jealous.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:28 PM
M is for Memory

I'm surprised that you think that Zenith cateracts are a pain to remove. I just warmed mine in the sun and dragged a wire through the glue....After a slow start I got the hang of it quickly and it was easy then on. The only thing that I found annoying was that the center of the glue on two of the three tubes I did was hard and didn't want to come off.

I did three tubes an older roundy which did not give me any troubles peeling off the thick layer of glue, a 1967 vintage rectangular that had about a 2X6" patch of stubborn glue, and a 1971 23V CRT that had a 17" diagonal rectangle of stubborn glue.

The roundy, after peeling off the thick layer by hand, was a snap. All else I had to do was poor some Goof Off (this stuff does a REALLY good job breaking down Zenith type PVA even the little balls that the hand peel off missed) on it and rub down with paper towels 2-3 times before the final Windex rubdown for a mirror shine.

The rectangulars with stubborn glue on the safety glass I poured Goof off so that it pooled over the PVA and let it sit to soften it I then ground away at it my finger nails (not all that fun) untill the primary layer was gone. Resoaking it each time grinding became less managable. This was a bit annoying on the 67', and very annoying on the 71'. I could have skipped all that grinding by not reusing the removed safety glass if I wanted, but I chose to continue using the glass.

What was you experience, and why did it sour you?

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-03-2012, 08:56 PM
Vintage Geek

Me likey! Wish I had room for even one of these, but I guess I have to settle on my RCA B&W console with the weak CRT.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Oh the memories...
At least one among us is starting off the New Year on the right foot.
Congrats!
Old 01-03-2012, 09:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

What a great find--3 at once!You can swap tubes back and forth as needed for
easy diagnosis.
Audiokarma
Old 01-03-2012, 09:45 PM
Vintage TV and Radio Nut

I also have an RCA CTC16X that I scored on CL a couple of months ago. I like the roundies.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ctc-16x.JPG (34.6 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by hi_volt; 01-03-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:43 PM
"Book em Dano!"

[QUOTE=Electronic M;3022916]I'm surprised that you think that Zenith cateracts are a pain to remove. I just warmed mine in the sun and dragged a wire through the glue....After a slow start I got the hang of it quickly and it was easy then on. The only thing that I found annoying was that the center of the glue on two of the three tubes I did was hard and didn't want to come off.

Compared to RCA tubes they are. I did a 22" rectangular one. It's like sticky buger goo and has a nasty smell. It sticks to everything. Of course I did it inside and the warm sun was no longer available. It's not the PVA RCA uses. The RCA's peel off quite nicely and have the smell of new vinyl. Yum
Old 01-04-2012, 12:48 AM
M is for Memory

I did a RCA 22JP22 and it ended up destroyed....I ended up cracking the safety glass which was taking too long for an impatient teenager cooking alive outside on the hottest week of summer, and having a big non-removable patch in the center. I then tried chipping away at the patch, and got sick of all the glass chips landing on me, almost getting in my eyes, and sometimes cutting me so I decided to drop it back in the cool tub that was sitting in shade and let the water remove the cateract.....well the tube had not cooled yet, and almost imploded a minute after I put it in (when you are staving off heat-stroke your judgement becomes VERY poor, ask NASA).

After that fiasco and dozens of weak snapped copper and current brittle steel wire...when I finally got my first successful cateract removal on a Zenith tube done there was a tremendous amount of viceral satisfaction in muscling the wire through that gunk.
I have to agree that the RCA stuff is easier to cleanup.
I think that the Zenith gunk smells like a really pungent new inflatable pool toy.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 02-15-2018, 09:46 AM
Motorola Minion

Holy smokes!!!- My aunt and uncle, now gone had a 24NC31 Zenith with the Danish legs and walnut. Id take IT in a minute at your modest sum, but look where I am?!?

I DO have the EA version like yours, and a spare cabinet for one and somebody here wants it to match a decor.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 02-15-2018 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:19 AM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewVista View Post
Zenith are stellar performers, would like to find one.
The '65 one matches the "Clayton" on brochure
The one in the middle looks exactly like my 1965 "Ashby" model except the bottom front arch between the front legs is missing. If that 25MC33 should end up parted out I could use a few pieces to give mine an overhaul.

Great sets though. Nothing beats a Zenith roundie unless it's three Zenith roundies.