Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-26-2018, 11:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

I guess I'll have to live with it!

I was having a real problem with pop-ups and other corruption with my computer. I ended having firewall protection installed and other protection installed. Now, every I want to access this site of my other favorites, I have enter my screen name and password, a real PITA!
My new protection doesn't allow cookies.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

I assume you have been using an in-browser based tool like uBlock (or AdBlock Plus before they sold out and started whitelisting a few years ago)?
I have not needed a firewall or OS based pop-up blocker for over 15 years.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:07 PM
M is for Memory

I run Firefox with noscript and ublockorigin...and maybe a couple of other security/privacy add-ons, and that does a good job of preventing me from picking up viruses...It allows cookies too... thought it only lets a site give you.a cookie if you agree to it for that site.

Generally speaking if you prevent all ads from loading and limit loading of non-text web elements to sites you trust.or have good reason to want trust you'll be fine.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-26-2018, 07:59 PM
Old TVs are better!

As a suggestion you might want to try Ccleaner, and get rid of all the temp files and cookies. I usually run mine after every browsing session. Although it does get rid of some passwords but make sure to check save password and many sites will still come up without re-entering them. https://www.ccleaner.com/
Old 10-26-2018, 11:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I run Firefox with noscript and ublockorigin...and maybe a couple of other security/privacy add-ons, and that does a good job of preventing me from picking up viruses...It allows cookies too... thought it only lets a site give you.a cookie if you agree to it for that site.

Generally speaking if you prevent all ads from loading and limit loading of non-text web elements to sites you trust.or have good reason to want trust you'll be fine.
I don't even go that far. I just use ublock with the defaults set and I find that takes care of 95% of the ads out there. If it gets around that and doesn't get in my face or autoplay somewhere in the page, it's earned it.
Audiokarma
Old 10-27-2018, 02:23 AM
The Resident Brony

Usually, an excessive amount of pop-ups, especially on websites that don't normally have them, is just a symptom of a larger problem. Some kind of malware that's on your computer, as opposed to certain websites. Go get MalwareBytes, when installing, just say you want the free version.

Many moons ago, I was still using internet explorer, which had its own pop-up blocker. It was pretty bad at blocking them, until I realized that it had a setting to turn it up, then it blocked literally everything. Sadly, I can't say the same for FireFox, but still, I have no problem with malware, and I use cookies.

But then, you can't always be lucky, right?
Old 10-28-2018, 08:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterbeers View Post
As a suggestion you might want to try Ccleaner, and get rid of all the temp files and cookies. I usually run mine after every browsing session. Although it does get rid of some passwords but make sure to check save password and many sites will still come up without re-entering them. https://www.ccleaner.com/
I signed up for the free version of Ccleaner today. Let's see what happens!
Old 10-29-2018, 09:37 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
I don't even go that far. I just use ublock with the defaults set and I find that takes care of 95% of the ads out there. If it gets around that and doesn't get in my face or autoplay somewhere in the page, it's earned it.
No kidding? I use uBlock and NoScript, the latter being a real pain as I have to whitelist every new site I visit, and often times I have to guess which other scripts have to be whitelisted for any given site to work properly. Sometimes it won't work no matter what I do and I just give up and bring up the site in Chrome. If it's safe to go without NoScript I may dump the blasted thing.

Ah, the early days of the 'net and 32-bit Windows. Malware infections were inevitable and one had to run enough security programmes to make their computer run like a car with a plugged cat in some cases. Computers running the text-only "Lynx" browser were well-protected but sites were difficult to navigate and secure sites wouldn't work at all. Yep, I know the struggle; I started out on an Apple IIe with ProTerm and a Hayes Smartmodem 2400. Sometimes I would spend a half hour trying to download a single programme from an Apple II FTP site only to get a "disk full" error just before the finish line.

I use Avast antivirus and Windows 7 Professional. My only gripe about that is that it throws ads in my face every now and then trying to get me to upgrade to a paid version. I hardly ever run full scans now, it's never found anything and I'm pushing two years on the same Windows installation.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:15 PM
Old TVs are better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I signed up for the free version of Ccleaner today. Let's see what happens!
I also use Malwarebytes well. Between the Cccleaner and Malwarebyes, hopefully you can get your computer cleaned up and get rid of all the annoying pop-ups. However it seems as if there is no way to get rid of all of them.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:59 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterbeers View Post
I also use Malwarebytes well. Between the Cccleaner and Malwarebyes, hopefully you can get your computer cleaned up and get rid of all the annoying pop-ups. However it seems as if there is no way to get rid of all of them.
Oh, you can get rid of all of them...I run Malwarebytes, and I figured out how to kill that annoying update/scan complete popup box they have...It is it's own independent program separate from the anti-malware program...It is called Mbamtray.exe. Find it in the folder Malwarebytes is installed in and delete it and the popups go away. The only catch is when malware bytes periodically installs a new version of its self it re-installs Mbamtray and you have to lather, rinse and repeat.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 10-29-2018, 11:55 PM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Oh, you can get rid of all of them...I run Malwarebytes, and I figured out how to kill that annoying update/scan complete popup box they have...It is it's own independent program separate from the anti-malware program...It is called Mbamtray.exe. Find it in the folder Malwarebytes is installed in and delete it and the popups go away. The only catch is when malware bytes periodically installs a new version of its self it re-installs Mbamtray and you have to lather, rinse and repeat.
...Or you could just go in the settings and tell it not to run on startup. It's very insistent on running the paid version (or trial thereof), which runs in the background (mbamtray.exe). All you have to do is tell it you only want the free version and not to run on startup.