Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:24 AM
Bob Galanter

Fake woodgrain, need restoration tips

I bought a CTC5 a short while back. It has a cheepo cabinet with a fake printed mahagony woodgrain finish.

There are some spots on the top of the set that are damaged to the point of having the printed finish completely romoved down to the to bare wood

Has anyone on this forum ever played around with trying to repair this type of printed finish.

Should I try to use repaint the damaged areas with artists brushes and oil paints?

I heard of a method of photographing the finish and then printing it on a color printer and using the print as an inlay to repair the damaged spots, but I don't know any details on how this would be done.

Any advise from those who have tried this type of repair on a printed finish would be appreciated.

Thanks!

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com
Old 05-02-2007, 12:37 AM
Administrator

My CTC 7 has the same problem, except there are dings, chips and scratches all over, not just the top.
I plan to eventually just redo the thing with real veneer, I don't know any other way to make it look good.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:29 AM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

restoring old cabinets

They used various types of finishs, some of the sets had a thin wood veneer bonded to the press board cabinets. If that is the case you could go to a lumber yard that supplies wood used to make furniture and other fine pieces and buy a new sheet of veneer. It would be the same process used in laminating kitchen cabinets. The other option is to clean is up real good and then apply one of the stains mixed with poly-urethane finishs.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:05 PM
AK Member

Iron on??

Could you shoot a picture of a good section of wood and use an ink jet printer to produce an iron on transfer like you do for T shirts??

Just a thought.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:34 PM
Damn does run fast…

The material swas likely Di Noc from 3m. 3m still sells it, but won't sell it to you if you're in the US, for some reason. They have a zillion patterns, and a lot of woodgrains.
Audiokarma
Old 05-02-2007, 06:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

You might get some help from this website also;

http://pages.cthome.net/ptf/photofin/photofinish.html
Old 05-02-2007, 07:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

I suspect if you wanted to use the Di-noc you could find it somewhere. We used to use it quite a bit when it was so common on cars. There used to be a place which specialized in all the different patterns; I've got ametal cabinet in my office. Probably 25 years ago my father used a scrap piece of automotive woodgrain to cover the top. It has held up very well. Very hard to put it on without ending up with a bunch of air bubbles-you need soap & water to wet the surface first, a good squeegee, and patience.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:40 PM

Here is some interesting reading on fake woodgrain:

http://pages.cthome.net/ptf/photofin/photoFinish.html

John
Old 05-03-2007, 11:20 PM
Bob Galanter

Thanks everyone,

Took a good look at the damage today. I have decided to try and disguise the damage with some stain of the correct color, and then fill in the gouges with an artists brush and some clear lacquer to fill the grooves. After filling up the gouges with lacquer to even out the surface, I will apply several coats of lacquer to the entire surface and then lightly wet sand to flaten out the surface where the gouges are.

If the above method works I will post photos of the results. I anticipate this project will happen next winter when I am house bound.

Using a sheet of veneer would probably be the nicest looking but would not be original and I would like to keep to the original look if possible. (even if it is cheepo cheepo fake and printed. Too bad RCA didn't use nicer cabinets on these color sets. After all there were the pinacle of the entire RCA tv line. You would think they would have wanted wonderful furniture cabinets like DuMont and Zenith used in their B&W console sets. I guess they were trying to keep costs on the color sets down so people would be more likely to buy one)

My ctc4 has a real mahogony veneer cabinet. That set will look "knock your socks off gorgeous, after I have striped and refinished it. It currently has been painted with a fake Maple wood grain finish....YUCK!

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com
Audiokarma
Old 05-05-2007, 12:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohohyodafarted
Too bad RCA didn't use nicer cabinets on these color sets. After all there were the pinacle of the entire RCA tv line. You would think they would have wanted wonderful furniture cabinets like DuMont and Zenith used in their B&W console sets. I guess they were trying to keep costs on the color sets down so people would be more likely to buy one)
Well, as they say, you pays your money and you takes your choice. The CTC-5 series was RCA's first attempt at a "full line" of color sets, with models available in a fairly wide range of cabinet styles and prices. So, just as with their B&W models, RCA offered sets in simple cabinets with printed finishes all the way up to high-end Deluxe-line models in big solid hardwood cabinets with doors. Not all CTC-5's have a cabinet with a printed finish..! But, hey, you paid a substantial preminum for that fancy cabinet, and not everyone is going to choose that. I seem to remember reading somewhere that even with its rather basic cabinet, the $495 "Aldrich" CTC-5 Special almost ended up a loss-leader for RCA.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:11 PM
Damn does run fast…

Looks like I spoke too soon - apparently, DiNoc *is* available in the US again. 3m lists it on their website
Old 05-07-2007, 07:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

How 'bout posting a link? I am having trouble finding it on 3M's website....
Old 05-11-2007, 06:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

I sopke with a 3M sales rep. about the Di-Noc., hoping to use it to refinins a 1956 Admiral color TV. It is being test marketed in this conutry, and has been produced in Japan for over 20 years. But the minimum order is for a roll, which is 5,000 yards and about $5,000.

Oh well....
Old 05-12-2007, 10:53 AM
Damn does run fast…

It was sold in the US ages ago, too.

5000 minimum order? Darn. Be nice if a distributor would pick it up and sell sub 5k lengths - it was used on a LOT of 50's jukeboxes.
Audiokarma