Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-19-2016, 03:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

1960 GE 21" B&W console with remote

This is an unusual remote set up, the remote is not ultrasonic, it's a regular AM radio transmitter with a different frequency for each function. You can see the receiver unit (and that enormous speaker!) in one of the pictures. Notice the antenna for the remote receiver on the left and the motor on top which operates a 2nd volume control.

I haven't had time to work on this set since I got it at all, everything works but the remote. The power tuning controls are also of an unusual design. That ring around the tuner knob is actually 13 individual buttons, 1 for each channel. You push in the button for the channel you want and a motor rotates the tuner. As it turns these orange triangular shaped indicator lights pointing to each channel number light up pointing to whichever channel its currently on. Then the button pops out when it lands on the channel you selected.

While looking around for information on this remote system on the internet, I came across the pdf I'm posting: GE Techni-talk vol. 12-3 page 1. If anyone has the rest of this, or vol. 12-1 and 12-2, which are also supposed to talk about the remote transmitter and receiver, I'd really like to see them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 60ge1.jpg (41.8 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg 60ge2.jpg (50.1 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 60ge3.jpg (47.5 KB, 59 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GE TechniTalk 1960.pdf (376.8 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Adam; 11-19-2016 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 05:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Check out RIDERS volume 27(television service) for detailed description on the G.E. rf remote control system. All the best,Tom.J
Old 11-22-2016, 02:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
While looking around for information on this remote system on the internet, I came across the pdf I'm posting: GE Techni-talk vol. 12-3 page 1. If anyone has the rest of this, or vol. 12-1 and 12-2, which are also supposed to talk about the remote transmitter and receiver, I'd really like to see them.
Adam, I have them. I'll be out of town for the next few days, but when I get back I'll scan them for you.

Old 11-22-2016, 04:58 PM
RCA 741PCS

I recently restored a similar GE model with remote control. You can read about it here: http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=253411
Old 11-23-2016, 03:10 PM
Motorola Minion

Adam,
That looks suspiciously like a set and remote I traded Tim last summer. I got an NOS CRT then found a remote for it but never did anything with it.

I had a 1961 (M6 chassis) in a very leggy early-American long ago but never got the remote working. That one had TWO of those 9x21 speakers.

Let me know if you need the GE factory book on it. These are such fun ones to restore.
Audiokarma
Old 11-26-2016, 01:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.j.fla View Post
Check out RIDERS volume 27(television service) for detailed description on the G.E. rf remote control system. All the best,Tom.J
A I have some of the Riders volumes, but not that one, I'll have to look around for one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
Adam, I have them. I'll be out of town for the next few days, but when I get back I'll scan them for you..
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
I recently restored a similar GE model with remote control. You can read about it here: http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=253411
Unusual remote control sets being an interest of mine, I don't know how I missed that thread before...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
Adam,
That looks suspiciously like a set and remote I traded Tim last summer. I got an NOS CRT then found a remote for it but never did anything with it.

I had a 1961 (M6 chassis) in a very leggy early-American long ago but never got the remote working. That one had TWO of those 9x21 speakers.

Let me know if you need the GE factory book on it. These are such fun ones to restore.
This is the same set I think it went from Tim to Justin to Dwight to me. At this point it's got the good CRT in it and has been recapped. The TV works good, now I just have to figure out the remote.
Old 11-26-2016, 05:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
Adam, I have them. I'll be out of town for the next few days, but when I get back I'll scan them for you.

Up now.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l4q4cp8r7...w08oa1dCa?dl=0

Enjoy!