Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-18-2016, 12:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

1962 Airline 23" b/w console

I've been really busy the last two months, so I haven't posted much, but I have picked up some interesting sets. Two weeks ago I bought these 4 Zenith rectangular space command consoles ('66 B&W, two '67 color, and a '70 color) from Doug. I drove up to Chicago in a u-haul van. I wasn't really into it this Airline, but he threw it in for free and I had room in the van, so I took it anyway. But it was still on ebay, and that night the extremely unlikely happened and someone bought it! So I talked to the guy and was really happy just to let him have it for free, but he offered to pay me to fix it, so I did…

There were two main issues, those 2 big resistors mounted on top of the chassis were open, and there were some bad caps in the horizontal oscillator circuit. But this set was chock full of those yucky 'bumblebee' caps, so I wouldn't expect it to work long if I didn't recap it, so I did. This is actually kind of a nice set, it produces a good picture…

I'll post about my Zeniths later. I also picked up a '92 27" Advanced System 3, with a surprisingly good CRT, but vertical sync problems. My other recent find was this cool '60 GE 21" B&W console. I traded Dwight that mini-Avanti I picked up off craigslist a few months ago for it. It uses this unusual radio transmitter remote control. My other recent tv finds are a GE locomotive and Delco 10" porthole set. Then there's the 7" bakelite motorola, 14" rectangular bakelite motorola, '72 12" Zenith b/w with a hybrid chassis, and '62 19" RCA b/w portable with stand that were the sets I brought back from the etf swap meet. And that yard sale CTC-16 console...That's 11 sets I've picked up in the past 3 months!

Last edited by Adam; 07-14-2017 at 12:23 AM.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I've been really busy the last two months, so I haven't posted much, but I have picked up some interesting sets. Two weeks ago I bought these 4 Zenith rectangular space command consoles ('66 B&W, two '67 color, and a '70 color) from Doug. I drove up to Chicago in a u-haul van. I wasn't really into it this Airline, but he threw it in for free and I had room in the van, so I took it anyway. But it was still on ebay, and that night the extremely unlikely happened and someone bought it! So I talked to the guy and was really happy just to let him have it for free, but he offered to pay me to fix it, so I did…

There were two main issues, those 2 big resistors mounted on top of the chassis were open, and there were some bad caps in the horizontal oscillator circuit. But this set was chock full of those yucky 'bumblebee' caps, so I wouldn't expect it to work long if I didn't recap it, so I did. This is actually kind of a nice set, it produces a good picture…

I'll post about my Zeniths later. I also picked up a '92 27" Advanced System 3, with a surprisingly good CRT, but vertical sync problems. My other recent find was this cool '60 GE 21" B&W console. I traded Dwight that mini-Avanti I picked up off craigslist a few months ago for it. It uses this unusual radio transmitter remote control. My other recent tv finds are a GE locomotive and Delco 10" porthole set. Then there's the 7" bakelite motorola, 14" rectangular bakelite motorola, '72 12" Zenith b/w with a hybrid chassis, and '62 19" RCA b/w portable with stand that were the sets I brought back from the etf swap meet. And that yard sale CTC-16 console...That's 11 sets I've picked up in the past 3 months!
It's a Wells Gardner built set. That one looks like their TOTL B&W set. W-G products were always better than Sears' Warwick offerings.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

You sure find a lot of nice sets. Im jealous, but in a good way.
Old 11-19-2016, 04:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

It is a well built set, I was pleasantly surprised when I pulled off the back and took a look at the chassis. Not too common either… I posted about my other recent finds….
Old 11-23-2016, 03:04 PM
Motorola Minion

Wow - I thought Admiral was all-in on using PC boards by this time. Great story!
Audiokarma
Old 11-23-2016, 04:16 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
Wow - I thought Admiral was all-in on using PC boards by this time. Great story!
Not Admiral....It's an Airline (Montgomery Wards house brand), probably made by a smaller American third party like Wells Gardner or Arvin.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 11-24-2016, 11:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Not Admiral....It's an Airline (Montgomery Wards house brand), probably made by a smaller American third party like Wells Gardner or Arvin.
It's Wells Gardner built! Arvin was out of the TV business by that time.
W/G started using P/C boards a few years later.
Admiral started building Wards sets around the same time or a little later.