Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:14 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hafer View Post
GE - I suspect that back in 1958, there was still little demand for color broadcast equipment, and that the PF-7A color scanner system was simply too complex and costly .
I see RCA had flying spot earlier in mid 50's [TK-25] but abandoned it for awful vidicon camera.
http://www.oldradio.com/archives/hardware/TV/RCA-TV.htm

Last edited by NewVista; 11-03-2010 at 06:18 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

I looked at a few vintage color videotapes of old Carol Burnett Shows from the 1967-71 period at the Paley Center for Media over the weekend - and the quality of the presentation of bumper slides and ad billboards pretty much screamed PE-24/240. So it seems Reitan may've erred when he asserted that CBS's Television City complex used 3V GE chains.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:21 AM
Archivist for SMECC

a brochure and catalog data for this ge color early cameras

we have brochures and catalog sheets fro these early ge color cameras... scary the turret looks like the the one I am missing for my tk41.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Bloke View Post
G'day all.

As we know from the 1950s to the mid 1960s the RCA TK-41 camera was the main colour camera used in colour television studios. However General Electric made their own TK-41 type IO colour cameras, the first one being the PE-15 and the later model the PE-25. A couple of pictures of the PE-15 used at WRGB-TV can be viewed here:
http://www.nolaneveritt.com/broadcasting101.ws/ge5.jpg
http://www.nolaneveritt.com/broadcas.../gecamera5.jpg

I am very curious about these cameras as I am hard pushed to find any pics and info on them.

I was wondering if any of you know how many of these cameras were made, how many still exist, how many other TV stations used these cameras besides WRGB-TV and which shows used these cameras?

Apparently a PE-15 is reported to have survived according this camera survey http://www.eyesofageneration.com/Survey.php and is in the hands of collector Martin Perry.

Anyways any info on these cameras would be much appreciated.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

I know that KCOP channel 13 here in Los Angeles used GE color equipment. The station began broadcasting color film segments of their travel shows by Bill Burrud and others in 1962 and eventually had live color later. I know that they used GE's PE-250 cameras, but they might have also had the IO cameras initially.

There is a Petula Clark clip, supposedly from the Lloyd Thaxton dance show on YouTube (the clip with quad head banding), that has a moment when a camera intrudes on a scene from the left. The handles near the bottom of the camera look suspiciously like those on the PE-25. The Lloyd Thaxton show was done live on KCOP in the afternoons as I recall. KCOP had a really nice animated color announcement logo by the way.

Of course, the PE-250 was also used in ABC's Vine Street studio where they did the Joey Bishop late-night show and the Dating Game with Jim Lange.

The control room had a floor-to-ceiling window facing the main lobby. One afternoon they had a PE-250 in the shop next to the control room with its side open and scope probes hanging inside. No one was there. I guess they had gone on break. There were various manuals open and I remember seeing a vectorscope with the color-bar vectors just rolling unsynchronized on the display. It's funny what you remember after all those years.

The PE-250 was also used in New York on ABC's Dick Cavett Show.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West View Post
The PE-250 was also used in New York on ABC's Dick Cavett Show.
I seem to remember seeing in pictures that it was actually PE-350's used on The Dick Cavett Show - and also, on The $10,000 / $20,000 Pyramid for most of its ABC run (both shows were taped at Studio TV-15 a.k.a. the Elysee Theatre on West 58th Street; and I read somewhere that in the last year of the latter's run, the GE's were replaced with RCA TK-47's). From what I could tell and have read, the PE-350's in New York seemed to work better than the PE-250's at Vine Street.

Two of the New York City TV stations used PE-250's, both beginning in 1967: WPIX (Ch. 11) and WOR-TV (Ch. 9).
Audiokarma
Old 06-07-2011, 08:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
There is a Petula Clark clip, supposedly from the Lloyd Thaxton dance show on YouTube (the clip with quad head banding), that has a moment when a camera intrudes on a scene from the left. The handles near the bottom of the camera look suspiciously like those on the PE-25. The Lloyd Thaxton show was done live on KCOP in the afternoons as I recall. KCOP had a really nice animated color announcement logo by the way.
Can you link me to this clip please, I really would love to see it.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

When it comes to New York TV, you are the experts. I have never been there, I'm ashamed to admit. I grew up in the L.A. area. Maybe sometime I'll get there.

It would have been fun to see New York City television in person at that time (or now). But we used to go into Hollywood and visit the various stations at about the time Steve Allen was doing his Westinghouse show on Vine Street. It was a fun time also.

I hope this works...I haven't tried inserting a web address yet.

It's the URL for the Petula Clark clip. The subtle camera intrusion happens at approximately 1:04. See what kind of camera you think it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO7CR...eature=related

The other segment of this show is at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOAHE...eature=related
Old 06-08-2011, 03:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

I seem to remember reading that when KHJ-TV added live studio color around 1967 (the last to the party, apparently), they went with Norelco PC-70's - which were also used by KTTV and KABC-TV. KNXT, I seem to recall, had Marconi Mark VII color cameras, and KNBC had RCA TK-41's (of course!). KTLA had both TK-41's and PC-70's. (If I'm mistaken on any of the above, feel free to set us all straight.)

As for the "intrusion" at the 1:04 mark, the bottom looks more to me like a boom mic stand than a camera pedestal.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.B. View Post
KTLA had both TK-41's and PC-70's. .
That would be a good shootout: TK-41 vs PC-70

Which one would win ? TK-41 I think
Old 06-08-2011, 09:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

I would take a PC-70 any day. TK-41 only for fun as a toy today. Folks that had PC-60's or 70's never looked back.
Audiokarma
Old 06-09-2011, 01:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.B. View Post
I seem to remember reading that when KHJ-TV added live studio color around 1967 (the last to the party, apparently), they went with Norelco PC-70's - which were also used by KTTV and KABC-TV. KNXT, I seem to recall, had Marconi Mark VII color cameras, and KNBC had RCA TK-41's (of course!). KTLA had both TK-41's and PC-70's. (If I'm mistaken on any of the above, feel free to set us all straight.)

As for the "intrusion" at the 1:04 mark, the bottom looks more to me like a boom mic stand than a camera pedestal.
How about KMEX channel 34 and KLXA channel 40?
Old 06-11-2011, 10:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Upgrade kit for PE-250 to PE-350

There have been some discussions on this thread whether a station or network was using either GE PE-250 or PE-350 cameras. GE came out with a "retrofit" kit to update any PE-250s' to PE-350s' so given the improvements of the PE-350, unless the station or network was under financial stress with budgets, or unless they were soon planning on selling off their PE-250s' I would assume many did upgade their models to PE-350s' (see attached ad for upgrade kit).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GE PE-350001.jpg (86.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg GE PE-350002.jpg (87.2 KB, 17 views)
Old 06-11-2011, 04:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Wasn't it also possible, besides these upgrades of PE-250 cameras to PE-350 status, that some stations upgraded their Norelco PC-60's to PC-70's in a similar manner (that is, via retrofit kits)? Many cameras with "round applied handles" like the PC-60 had a center belt with metal Norelco logo plates as were on the PC-70's, and looked as they did in very early ads (March 1966) for the PC-70 when it was first introduced.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
How about KMEX channel 34 and KLXA channel 40?
That's what I'm wondering too.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

GE PE-240 4V film island cameras at CBS NY Broadcast Center

See next post. With pix attached.

TL

Last edited by Ted Langdell; 10-05-2012 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Delete duplicate post
Audiokarma