Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:52 AM
Living The Draper Ethos

Trashbound Zenith Roundie

In a spot of pure luck, I had to drive a friend back to Hiram College last night. The return trip took me through Burton, Ohio which just happened to be having it's annual Bulk Trash Pickup. I spotted a console, but I was driving my Corvair, and decided to drive back to Mentor, OH and get my Subaru Outback and a couple of friends to help lift.

We got it home at 11PM EST.

I pulled the back off a few minutes later.

DAMNIT.
Whoever put it on the lawn necked it today. The getter on the neck hasn't gone totally white yet.
The chassis is dusty, yet fully functional; full HV, It's even pulling a UHF translator from Ontario after I pulled the HOT just to test the rest of the chassis.
Of course, the tube has no Cataract.

Last edited by fsjonsey; 05-01-2015 at 05:07 AM.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

Too bad about the jug. Even the dust looks original !

BTW last time I drove my 'vair was 1971 IIRC.
Twas a 65 Monza. Damn good car. Also had a '63 Spider
for a short time.

73 Zeno
Old 05-01-2015, 11:49 AM
M is for Memory

Is the getter getting worse? It could have a use worn getter and still be under vacuum/usable.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 05-01-2015, 02:56 PM
Living The Draper Ethos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Is the getter getting worse? It could have a use worn getter and still be under vacuum/usable.
Sorry, that wasn't a good photo. The neck is shattered in about six pieces, and only the gun and socket are holding it on.
Anyone have a spare 21FJP22?

Last edited by fsjonsey; 05-01-2015 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

IIRC good ones can be gotten all day long for 100$
found it, Tom aka Electronic M in Wisconsin. Maybe he can hook you up. 100$ for a good 21FJP22 is a good deal.

Last edited by DaveWM; 05-01-2015 at 03:17 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 05-01-2015, 03:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

that brings back bad memories of the CTC-5 I got a while back. perfect looking 21AXP22 but for the smashed neck... ugh.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Great save, IMO. Even though the CRT is toast, the fact that the set is not in the dump is golden. Thanks for your effort!!!
Kevin
Old 05-01-2015, 07:18 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Agreed. That type of CRT is much more common than the set.

Nice color too, I have been debating on getting my Admiral refinished in something similar.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey there! Indeed a stroke of luck on what isn't very common these days. That is finding a vintage TV of that era or older sitting on a curb isn't common, but they are all around and certainly have not all met their fate. I have wandered into abandoned homes and seen sets like that still in place. One in a living room of a very small home that was overgrown with trees to the point of barely being visible and only a few yards from the road. Another was upstairs in an old "farm house" and just evidently just too heavy to warrant lugging down the often narrow staircases found in such homes. It was the only piece of furniture in the house.

When I stumble across such things, naturally the thought of grabbing it (or the tubes) crosses my mind knowing that most likely it will end up in a dump or the house burned down by the fire department. Such was the first case I mention. Either way, the stuff doesn't belong to me, so I can't be the one who determines if anyone cares or is even alive that did care. I'm talking places with the floors falling in! Point really was that they are and most likely for some time to come will surface, but not commonly as only a decade ago or so.

I don't know what your thoughts are, or other restriction(s) may be as far as trying to get a C.R.T. and perhaps caps and other tubes that may be needed to get that set going. It's a Zenith, so it may just need the tube and that's it! But if by chance you don't go for the restore/repair and none of us here at VK can take it off you hands; you may opt to part the set. Certainly I think it's better to save one, but it's not always possible. If it gets parted, please let us all know as there are several of us here with Zeniths similar as that.

What I need is the little control knob cover on the lower right. I have one, but it's a bit hammered. Looks like kid damage as the rest of my set is in great shape. I would love to have a spare flyback transformer as well. Most of us would, but as Zenith owners we are very lucky to NOT have flyback disposal units for TV sets. Nothing lasts forever though and what you found is heralded for build quality and durability. So I hope some kind person within driving distance of you will make you a deal on a C.R.T. Even a well used tube would be OK really to get it going for occasional use.

Good luck with this!
Old 05-01-2015, 11:40 PM
Mark

Great score! Sucks they broke the crt. Its well worth another one though. I hope you find one soon.
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Audiokarma
Old 05-02-2015, 03:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

I love the fact the the cabinet looks like a late 50s early 60s RCA.. Never seen something like this for Zenith.. Sucks about the CRT.. I know how that feels, especially when I spent $$$ on my first roundie to see see in person for the first time to have a very dead CRT..
Old 05-02-2015, 06:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

From your photo what I can see of the back cover is intact so how did he manage to neck it?
Old 05-02-2015, 12:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

if the back was on and the center plastic protector was intact, its simple whoever owned it knew it worked and probably knew the crt was worth money so why not pull the back out alittle and smack the neck with a tire iron and now no one gets a free deal since they could not be bothered putting it on craigslist or even ebay. may whoever did this will have there flat screen junk take a dump.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:04 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

I suppose the back is flexible enough for the neck to have been crushed if the set fell over backwards at some point. Whenever I move my consoles I'm extremely careful not to bump the CRT neck covers.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:37 PM
Living The Draper Ethos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
From your photo what I can see of the back cover is intact so how did he manage to neck it?
The Neck cap looked perfect, that's why I was so surprised to see that the tube was necked. Then I looked closer and notice that the top screw that held the cap onto the back had pulled through the Masonite.The set must of been laid on its back and the weight did the rest.

Just to assure everyone, I have managed to secure a CRT for this set, and it will be saved.
Audiokarma