Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

I went over to my storage.. Attempted to to restore using the B&K, tried both the red and green guns.. It didn't want to restore as the needle didn't move much at all.. Then I attempted with the Beltron, and obviously it tries to restore all three guns while doing a rejuv.. The light indicator flashed on the blue gun side, none of the others.. And now blue tests really good, and others very poor.. I didn't try going into the more intense restore features on either of the testers..
Old 08-19-2014, 04:54 PM
M is for Memory

Are you sure it does not have some control to rejuv the guns one by one. It would seem an odd/bad design not to allow the user to select the gun to be rejuvenated.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-19-2014, 04:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

I believe it doesn't.. They don't even have power switches..
Old 08-19-2014, 05:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
I took it to mean that the brightener was tucked behind the chassis so as to be somewhat hidden and hopefully not noticed by a potential buyer . As in , trying to hide the evidence of a weak picture tube .

If this IS the case , it's a wonder why the seller didn't just outright remove the brightener rather than tucking it partially out of sight ???
Doing THAT without admitting it to a buyer who expects a good tube--to me anyway--would be FRAUDULENT He should have ADMITTED the tube was weak and on a brightener. Not all that different than the old "sawdust in the gears" trick, IMHO.

Last edited by rca2000; 08-19-2014 at 05:18 PM. Reason: errors
Old 08-19-2014, 05:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvcollector View Post
I believe it doesn't.. They don't even have power switches..
Most brighteners are NOT like that--they are just simple transformers that boost ALL 3 guns fils somewhat--to get more emission...for while. You must remember-these were sold to the PUBLIC--and therefore--could not be overly complicated.

Now--there WERE single-gun boosters out there--that would somehow increase emissioins on either ONLY one gun, or all 3 individually. These generally were NOT meant for the average consumer and sold more through parts outlets. The normally DO have control(s) on them, Chamberlin and Oneida are 2 brands I can think of.
Audiokarma
Old 08-19-2014, 05:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvcollector View Post
I went over to my storage.. Attempted to to restore using the B&K, tried both the red and green guns.. It didn't want to restore as the needle didn't move much at all.. Then I attempted with the Beltron, and obviously it tries to restore all three guns while doing a rejuv.. The light indicator flashed on the blue gun side, none of the others.. And now blue tests really good, and others very poor.. I didn't try going into the more intense restore features on either of the testers..
Your tube sounds a LOT like the one in my 29JC20. The red gun is quite waek--but the other 2 test well on the 70. it will NOT help the red gun much...the cathode just will not draw enough current to restore. Boosting the fils. DOES help some, and emissions on the red get almost normal..--as does a brightener. But--those are scarce around here. I had a whole BOX Of them, including a number of roundie ones, maybe from an Estes auction or such. BUT--the geniuses who robbed my garage last year CUT OFF ALL of the wires to them..leaving JUST the bodies of them !! If I HAD to--I could "patch one in", to the old harness, I guess.

As for that B&K rejuv...I KILLED an in-line T-815 Mag. tube in 1989 I think..trying to bring it up some..it ALMOST worked...THEN..if left it MUCH worse then before !! (I was able to get a rebuilt tube for it, and it lasted well in my use till I got my CTC-169 in 1998. through a 'mix-up" that tube cost me NOTHING.) this was WAY before I had my "jewell" the CR 70. back then--they cost nearly a grand or so. I paid LESS then 100 for mine--in the mid '00s or so WITH shipping.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca2000 View Post
Most brighteners are NOT like that--they are just simple transformers that boost ALL 3 guns fils somewhat--to get more emission...for while. You must remember-these were sold to the PUBLIC--and therefore--could not be overly complicated.

Now--there WERE single-gun boosters out there--that would somehow increase emissioins on either ONLY one gun, or all 3 individually. These generally were NOT meant for the average consumer and sold more through parts outlets. The normally DO have control(s) on them, Chamberlin and Oneida are 2 brands I can think of.
When and who sold boosters to the general public? Through 1973 when I got out of the business, I never saw one marketed to the public.

Interesting. When were these 1,2 or 3 gun boosters introduced to the market?
Old 08-19-2014, 10:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

I KNOW they were around in the mid-1970's, maybe before. The Oneida "nu brite" with a control for each gun was from about 1977. Older--simple all-or-none-brighteners appeared for color tubes sometime in the 1960's.

Evidently--Radio Shack even sold them a long time ago, at least for BW tubes. On ebay right now--someone is selling some brighteners, one is an Archer and one is a blue gun only tele-matic

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271574282281...84.m1423.l2649
Old 08-20-2014, 07:20 AM
sampson159

we had thompson electronics downtown that sold brighteners.anyone could walk in and buy.also,united tuner,sun tv,etc.lots of brighteners sold here in central ohio
Old 08-20-2014, 10:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

i picked up on ebay 2 of these gun boosters and they dont have a transformer in them and they had them for red, green, and blue i dont think it raises any voltage except amplifys whats there already and dont seem to kill the tube for whats left in it already.
Audiokarma
Old 08-20-2014, 10:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca2000 View Post
Doing THAT without admitting it to a buyer who expects a good tube--to me anyway--would be FRAUDULENT He should have ADMITTED the tube was weak and on a brightener. Not all that different than the old "sawdust in the gears" trick, IMHO.

Hi rca2000 ,

Of course it would be fraudulent to knowingly remove a booster to deceive someone into thinking a tube was in better condition than was actually known ..... Now , this is exactly why I (and I suspect Jim also) think there was no attempt at deception ; the very presence of the brightener in the set . If the seller were a crook , and knew what the brightener actually meant , wouldn't you think he would have just outright removed it rather than trying unsuccessfully to tuck it out of sight ?
Old 08-20-2014, 10:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampson159 View Post
we had thompson electronics downtown that sold brighteners.anyone could walk in and buy.also,united tuner,sun tv,etc.lots of brighteners sold here in central ohio
And I will agree 100% with sampson159 that back in the day when tubes were regularly sold in drugstores , ALL kinds of things like brighteners and fuses and dial light bulbs could be found in the shelves alongside the tubes . Granted , I was raised in a big city , and one advantage was well stocked stores
Old 08-20-2014, 10:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-20-2021 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

I'm trying to find the chassis number, or a number that will lead to the Sams photofact... I've done a model number search in Google.. I was able to pull up some ad literature, but nothing else.. Tried searching all the other numbers and nothing came up.. I've took pics of all the other numbers that are either marked or stamped into the chassis.. All is in this photobucket album..

http://s1220.photobucket.com/user/vi...?sort=3&page=1
Old 08-22-2014, 01:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Think I found it.

Looks like a DO-1 set. evidently--you have to leave off the K in sams to get the chassis #. 787 -4 aapears to be the sams # There are several suffixes after the DO1, such as 1,5 11, 18 and such.
Audiokarma