Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-23-2006, 11:37 AM
High-end TVs cheap!

Vintage RCA Color TV commercial from 1961!

Check out this beauty!

Oh my, the features!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mnXlWchvFdY&search=rca
Old 05-23-2006, 11:50 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

That's a great commercial! There was some discussion on that among us a few weeks ago, because that TV and its remote has never been seen in person. I can't find any RCA service manual for it either. Dr. Dan and I believe it was a prototype. BUT........ If it's a real working prototype, what if an RCA engineer hauled it home and it's sitting in a basement somewhere in New Jersey? I've owned a few prototype TVs including a Hoffman color set, and they were all ordered destroyed but were sneaked out of the factories and "saved" by engineers

Charles
Old 05-23-2006, 03:42 PM
Ed Reitan

This set is the first commercial remote control color television.

It is the 1958-59 CTC7 "Worthington", Model 21RC899, available in Walnut or Mahogany. It is the first of the series of "top-of-the-line" really-deluxe RCA color sets (another example is the later first all solid state "G2000"). It is shown on the "Color Television History" web site in the collage of CTC7 sets at http://www.novia.net/~ereitan/Gallery/CTC7_Gallery.html
and in its individual product sheet at http://www.novia.net/~ereitan/Galler...hington300.gif

I am pleased to have a Worthington in my collection.

Ed Reitan
Old 05-23-2006, 09:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've seen one. A guy I know here in Omaha has one. It hasn't been powered up since he got it. The remote holder is velvet lined!
Old 05-24-2006, 04:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

This model is featured in the Doris Day movie "Pleas Don't Eat the Daisies" towards the end of the film ..the family sit down to watch TV on their beautiful RCA color set!!

The commercial is a hoot ....but where would they have shown it ...it runs nearly six minutes!!
Audiokarma
Old 05-24-2006, 11:15 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colortel
This set is the first commercial remote control color television.

It is the 1958-59 CTC7 "Worthington", Model 21RC899, available in Walnut or Mahogany. It is the first of the series of "top-of-the-line" really-deluxe RCA color sets (another example is the later first all solid state "G2000"). It is shown on the "Color Television History" web site in the collage of CTC7 sets at http://www.novia.net/~ereitan/Gallery/CTC7_Gallery.html
and in its individual product sheet at http://www.novia.net/~ereitan/Galler...hington300.gif

I am pleased to have a Worthington in my collection.

Ed Reitan
Ed, I stand corrected! It sure is unusual though... BTW: Are you in town? Let's meet at the Apple Pan soon

Charles
Old 05-24-2006, 10:24 PM
Frenchy

Is that really a 'commercial'? It's pretty long, looks more like a kind of promo film. Wonder where they would have shown this. Or did they have some really long commercials back then?

Last edited by frenchy; 05-25-2006 at 01:10 AM.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:42 PM
On Land

Maybe I'm mistaken, but it seems I recall us following an RCA just like this one a couple of years ago on ebay.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:32 PM
Banned

Hi Jstout66,

Do you know where your friend got that Worthington set from or any info about it?
Could you get a photo? Does he have plans for it?
I think that set is one of the coolest ever!
Old 06-23-2006, 06:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

I could try and get a photo. The guy who owns it isn't really "into" tv's. He collects washers and appliances! He thought the set was cool, and I actually need to set up a time with him to look at it. (he would like me to check out condition) I'll find out what his plans are.
Audiokarma
Old 06-23-2006, 08:52 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

As long as we're speculating:

I think this must be a promo piece rather than a commercial. The announcer is trying to be forceful, but is still just reading the text - something intended for the public should have had an announcer that came across as genuinely agog at the features. Also, the announcer doesn't have the "neutral midwest accent" typically looked for in commercial productions. Of course, commercials progressed from basic hard sell to more sophisticated soft sell over the years, so maybe... but it's just too long unless it played as the major or only sponsor for a special sponsored by RCA.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

RCA made several of these types of promotional/industrial films especially during the '50's. RCA would invite high volume dealers and distributors to new model announcement parties, wine and dine them, and show off their products via these well produced color films. Some included dancers and singers with elaborate sets and high budget musical numbers worthy of Hollywood.

-Steve D.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:02 AM
Banned

Jstout66, that would be real neat!

I would fly across the country to see that Worthington if my budget would allow it. I suspect many of those Worthington's may have been originally owned by the rich and famous. Perhaps some super luxury hotels had them?
I wish one could trace the serial #'s back to the original buyer. I wonder if that model was offered in blonde wood?
Do we have anybody here that actually sold one new or knew anybody that had one when it was new?
Thanks
Old 06-24-2006, 08:12 AM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D.
RCA made several of these types of promotional/industrial films especially during the '50's.
Way back then these served as entertainment too. A church group, Boy Scout troop, or school function could get 16-mm sound color films like these for free rental.

Even into the '70's the big guys produced live productions to promote products. GE hired a bunch of Broadway singers and dancers then and produced a stage show that traveled around the country to promote silicon rubber stuff! They opened it in NYC figuring among other things that if it flew with a New York audience, it would work anywhere. They premiered it for the press at one of the Park Avenue South Hotels. At the end of the last number there was wild applause. You could see the relief come over the GE PR-guy.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Worthington magazine ad

[QUOTE=Bobby Brady]I would fly across the country to see that Worthington if my budget would allow it.

Bobby and fellow AK'ers,

To follow up on Ed Reitan's wonderful RCA catalog pictures,
here's a link to a photo from my collection of early color tv ads. This photo is from a full page ad that included the RCA Worthington model from Sept. 1958. That was towards the end of production for this model. This set was not only expensive to buy but to produce.

http://community-2.webtv.net/Stevetek2/doc/

-Steve D.

Last edited by Steve D.; 06-24-2006 at 07:32 PM.
Audiokarma