Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
Personally I'd go for the HR-D830. Yes they can have their problems, but they are all fairly easy fixes.
I hope you're kidding me. I'm looking for the most reliable one, not the most easy-to-fix one. This model is NOT recommended by a tech in Studio Sound Electronics.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:43 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

HR-D225 -
Some of the problems I've seen:

Broken gears #12, 13, 14 on the side of the "cassette housing" or FL ass'y.
IC201 FL drive burned out
IC1, IC2 photo-interruptors on the reel sensor board
Photo-transistors #31 on the FL ass'y
Cassette lid opener lever #47
Door opener gear #23 not fully opening the door after wear and fatigue, jams on eject
R and L front-load "insert" switches
Rec safety leaf switch
Tape UL, AL position leaf switches
Reel idler ass'y
Reel clutch
Head-switching relay RY1 on the head connection board
More belts too since it is DC motor-belt-flywheel capstan.

Last edited by Ed in Tx; 05-28-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
HR-D225 -
Some of the problems I've seen:

Broken gears #12, 13, 14 on the side of the "cassette housing" or FL ass'y.
IC201 FL drive burned out
IC1, IC2 photo-interruptors on the reel sensor board
Photo-transistors #31 on the FL ass'y
Cassette lid opener lever #47
Door opener gear #23 not fully opening the door after wear and fatigue, jams on eject
R and L front-load "insert" switches
Rec safety leaf switch
Tape UL, AL position leaf switches
Reel idler ass'y
Reel clutch
Head-switching relay RY1 on the head connection board
More belts too since it is DC motor-belt-flywheel capstan.
Yikes... So, would you rate the HR-D225U less-reliable than the HR-7650U? I may consider getting another HR-7650U as a backup if there isn't any one better.

What about the HR-D750U and HR-D180U? Are they better than HR-D225U?
Old 05-29-2012, 06:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

I'm with Ed on the 830, i personally find that chassis of JVC quite reliable and very easy to work on. Actually they got easier to work on than the 830 in the later models, same mechanism, just mounted in the middle without a heap of circuitry on top of the mechanism to remove first.
My first VCR was a HRJ200, which uses this mechanism, it has been given a [B]lot[B] of use and has only given trouble once. Despite being a mono machine it is very very easy to program quickly for timeshifting, hence the lot of use.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:10 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post

What about the HR-D750U and HR-D180U? Are they better than HR-D225U?
They don't have as many hard to obtain parts as the older ones like the 225. 225 was made in 1983-84. 750-180 probably 1986-87 time frame.And I recall those do have linear power supplies and transformers. Rarely if ever a PS problem. My main issue with the 225 is not that it was so unreliable, it's the unique parts that did fail were not your general off the shelf components. We saw many of those and probably most of the things that fail in them. I could probably keep a HR-D830 going with less concern for some oddball gear or lever failing. A capacitor fail in the SMPS.. replace it! No biggie. A FL side gear snap off on a 225, forget it, unless someone has some old obsolete parts still in stock.

Here ya go.. HR-3300 VCR, the first VHS VCR, I think. Something worth collecting! But if you find one be sure it has the optional RT-3300 timer installed!

Was also sold by Mitsubishi as the HS-100U.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hr-3300JVCsm1.jpg (55.7 KB, 175 views)
Audiokarma
Old 05-29-2012, 12:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
My main issue with the 225 is not that it was so unreliable, it's the unique parts that did fail were not your general off the shelf components. We saw many of those and probably most of the things that fail in them.
So, the HR-7650U was indeed a more-reliable model than the HR-D225U that you exactly described. Thanks for the write-up, and I will be sure to avoid the HR-D225U. Of course, I would much rather prefer cleaning the rollers in the HR-7650U than changing broken gears in the HR-D225U.

Quote:
They don't have as many hard to obtain parts as the older ones like the 225. 225 was made in 1983-84. 750-180 probably 1986-87 time frame.And I recall those do have linear power supplies and transformers. Rarely if ever a PS problem.
That's good news so far. Please list of all problems you saw in the HR-D750U, HR-D180U, and HR-D237U, and do you or not classify them as reliable? Why are they not #1 in your list, when they're supposed to be? Why the HR-D830U instead?
Old 05-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:

That's good news so far. Please list of all problems you saw in the HR-D750U, HR-D180U, and HR-D237U, and do you or not classify them as reliable? Why are they not #1 in your list, when they're supposed to be? Why the HR-D830U instead?

If I recall (don't have the old service manual for those as reference like I do for the 225..) intermittent mode encoder switch can cause slack tape hanging out of cassette upon eject, intermittent ground on the bottom deck terminal board, power it on, squeals and shuts off (fixed with a star washer under one of the screws to ensure good grounding) slipping reel idler, loose entry and exit guides causing tape path error and mistracking, stuff like that.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
If I recall (don't have the old service manual for those as reference like I do for the 225..) intermittent mode encoder switch can cause slack tape hanging out of cassette upon eject, intermittent ground on the bottom deck terminal board, power it on, squeals and shuts off (fixed with a star washer under one of the screws to ensure good grounding) slipping reel idler, loose entry and exit guides causing tape path error and mistracking, stuff like that.
That doesn't sound too bad. Looks somewhat reliable to me for the most part. Most important to me is it has a linear transformer power supply inside. I refuse to take one with a switching power supply, like the HR-D830U, because it ALWAYS cost me $30-$40 to rebuild, and I get sick of that already, along with my frustrations with Panasonic's serious electronic aging issues. I have a 1988 Panasonic PV-S4880 being tear apart right now with a locked-up capstan motor and video board needing new surface-mount caps.

In my repair experience, I found the 80s Toshiba and Funai/Shintom decks to be the most-reliable and longest-lasting, which I first suspected 5 years ago. And now, Studio Sound Electronics finally admitted and confirmed Toshiba, Shintom, and Funai being the top 3, most-reliable VCR brands, so that's great news for me.

Last edited by waltchan; 05-30-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Apparently, I can't get one of this, as the seller ran out-of-stock of the HR-D750U that I wanted in the first place. Now, I can choose the HR-7650U again, HR-D225U, or HR-VP700U only. These are the only models that interested me.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Wrong advise...

Quote:
Personally I'd go for the HR-D830. Yes they can have their problems, but they are all fairly easy fixes.
Unfortunately, that's the wrong move, as someone on eBay bought a new in box JVC HR-D830U for $400 shipped, and it did NOT work out from the box. He even exchanged it, and the second unit was broken also and did the same thing. The problem he described was the partial snow, and it cannot digitally track any tapes. This is due to a bad surface-mount cap under the video head.

The buyer already left feedback to seller and wrote, "I got 2 bad Vcr's but the seller was honest and refund the money. A++

Item: http://www.ebay.com/itm/270978772532

Nice try...
Audiokarma
Old 08-10-2012, 08:14 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Unfortunately, that's the wrong move, as someone on eBay bought a new in box JVC HR-D830U for $400 shipped, and it did NOT work out from the box. He even exchanged it, and the second unit was broken also and did the same thing. The problem he described was the partial snow, and it cannot digitally track any tapes. This is due to a bad surface-mount cap under the video head.
Takes all of 10 minutes to fix that. And a 3.3uFd/25V SMD capacitor.
Or, possibly one of the brass guide posts fell out of the bottom of a tape guide base. That can cause that symptom too. Another easy fix.

Last edited by Ed in Tx; 08-10-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

I don't have much experience like most of the people here, but my Uncle had an Akai TV that broke, since I have only seen 2 CRT's actually bite the dust in my lifetime (the other was our old 80's unit) that is pretty significant. I don't have any experience with Akai VCR's but that is my experience with their TV's. Of course this is just one story from a consumer....

As far as VCR's I had a RCA that bit the dust last year, it started eating tapes, and I was mad because it ate something that I had recorded that I like. It was actually a good unit with a nice picture. I recycled the unit. VCR's are a dime a dozen, they are as low as 50 cents here at yard sales. Its easy to find one for a dollar if you are patient. I never pay more than $3 for VHS. Our family blew through probably 3-4 VHS from the late 80's until 2004 or so when we stopped using them extensively. Of course they are still in use though, I have plenty for spares!
Old 09-07-2012, 08:14 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Added pictures of my mitsubishi HS-430U to post #31 since there can be some confusion with the newer "HS-U430".

http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...9&postcount=31

Last edited by Ed in Tx; 09-07-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

Is there any way for you to share this data? The issue I am looking into is how repair rates improve over time as products become mature and manufacturing improves. So I would love historical time series data for repair rates for VCRs.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:46 PM
8-trackin', Hank, Sr. man

I would've figured on JC Penney ranking higher. I had a late 80's/early 90's model given to me right around Y2K and that thing was built like a Sherman tank. Heavy, hi-fi stereo, cable compatible and controls on the front of the unit if you did lose the remote. It went DOA one day for no reason and I foolishly tossed it. I'm now using an LG VCR/DVD combo that is obviously better than the Walmart stuff and it suits me for no more than I watch VHS anymore.