Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Panasonic Late 1980s VCRS

As most of us remembered that Panasonic made VCRS dominated the market in the 1980s. Now does anyone remember the models in the late 1980s, 1988 I think was the exact year, when they slimmed down there VCRS to a really small size? Almost small as the cassette tape, They did away with the front display and clock and most of the functions, and of course all of them had the blinking timer led. I wonder what was the purpose? and how long did these slim VCRS lasted until they brought back the functions and time display on there VCRS? I think if I remember correctly it was only shorty after, in 1994 when VHS VCRS became middle loading instead of the left side. I think these Panasonic Slimline VCRS started the whole blue screen OSD, because I remember people buying them like hotcakes and all VCRS eventually had blue screen OSD. I remember the remotes having many functions etc. and the problem was, if the remote got lost, the only thing you could do with the VCRS is Play/Stop/Eject and Power on/off unless you bought a replacement or universal.. I went to a local thrift today and found a Magnavox version, It being only $4.99, I had to buy it, and of course it works, but no remote..
Old 02-27-2011, 05:13 PM
Administrator

My first Hi-Fi deck was a Magnavox with no front display, that would have been around 1990 or 91.

Getting rid of the display was a way to make and sell them cheaper.
A Hi-Fi deck back then was still an expensive item but that was right about the time prices (and quality) started dropping.

I'd like to see the one you got, maybe the same model I had.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Mine used this remote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Magnavox-VSQS090...item230e9cdd24

It's only $1.00 + shipping if you need it.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

I had a Quasar version which didn't have the panel display. Basically a re badged Panasonic, it lasted for over a decade. Never ate a tape and very reliable.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

I looked on eBay and the first remote on the list was the one my '91 2-head Magnavox VCR used, also for $1. I gave the thing away in 2003 because the remote died and I couldn't find a replacement for under $75. Never had any trouble with the machine itself.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:13 PM
blast, blast...

I began working on VCR's (and camcorders) in about this time frame. After a few years of watching their retail prices drop (with the resulting decline in repair volume) I remember thinking that if HI-FI units would stop their declining retail values at about the $100-150 mark I might be able to retain some "job security".

Ten years later, after HI-FI units started selling for less than $70 and DVD player sales started taking off I had to find a different line of work.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Eric mine is a VR9720AT01 I don't believe it's Hi-Fi, it's dated December of 1988. When I was young, the step dad bought, If my memory serves me correctly was the GE version. Also my aunt bought the Sylvania version, I think they were bought in the same year "1988". I don't recall ever seeing a Hi-Fi version of these. If i did, it probably didn't look any different, I would think they probably didn't have the VU meter display on the front either.. I do remember both family members having these for a long time before they stopped working properly and tossed them...

Blast that is too bad, TV/VCR repair shops are the thing of the past. Nothing is made to be repaired anymore, it's made to be tossed out.. Look at our beloved Blockbuster Video, I knew this day was coming.. No more having to leave the house to rent movies, just sit your lazy but on the couch and press a few buttons with your greasy fingers while holding a bag of chips in the other.

I just did a search on Ebay and i think the remote to our GE was this one..

I did another search and I believe this was our GE model, if not its close to it

Last edited by tvcollector; 03-01-2011 at 12:09 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

Probably the most popular 80s VCR still found in thrift shops today as working. It uses only 1 belt that rarely fails, so it always take a tape in and load it to the video head.

Reliability, overall, is higher than the previous Panasonic chassis with 2 belts, but longevity (lifespan) is shorter. More surface-mount capacitors are used, smaller power supply that eat caps faster, and capstan motor locks up, freezes, and make growling noises when it reaches 25 years old due to worn bearings.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

There were two other Panasonic late-80s chassis used at the same time. One used a nylon-tooth plastic belt instead a rubber belt, and one used two nylon-tooth plastic belts chassis found in AG-1960 and PV-S4990.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

I picked this one up a few months back.. For $3 can't beat it, and it works fully. I've never seen one of these before with all the function display along with on screen display, GE even kept there previous design looks.. Doesn't have Blue-Screen other than programing the timer, but has all on screen menus and display. This beauty is Dated 1987

Even came with the remote.. And even the remote is the same style as there older models..

Last edited by tvcollector; 03-01-2011 at 04:39 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 03-01-2011, 10:52 AM
VK Member

Hello AUdubon5425
Yat
thats the same remote this came with my RCA vcr made by panasonic
for the price panasonic vcrs were good Hitachi made a lot of vcrs too.

a lot of vcrs were made by those two brands I did a lot of vcr repair in the 80s and 90s made some great money
Rich
P.S. I have worked on hundreds of vcrs some days my shop would had seen 20 vcrs
I even changed a bunch of heads
Old 03-01-2011, 10:53 AM
VK Member

Hello guys,
I still have a lot of parts still in stock for vcrs even remotes and I still have a bunch of panasonic vcrs
Old 03-05-2011, 12:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

I also a Big fan of those Panasonic VCR's They were well-manufactured VCR's They hav the Precision-Machined Chassis right up to 1991 (I think) I have a panasonic vcr with the Hi-End-Looking Remote contol.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Agreed.. I like how all have the same features but different looks, based on the label. I've been picking up alot of old Panasonics from the thrift shops around here. We all know about the common power supply problems, but I've been noticing video problems on alot of them, flicking/running color, bit a distortion in the picture, and noticeable clear lines, Does anyone know what this problem is? i don't think it has anything to do with the video heads, looks more like a signal problem..
Old 03-13-2011, 01:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-18-2021 at 05:14 PM.
Audiokarma