Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hum, I have a bunch of Panasonics that i've been running across lately, and alot of them do have problems in the power supply, the hissing arching noises when powered up.. I found another Quasar top loader the other day, which i have two others of the same model, one is a parts deck as it has problems with audio. Seeing how im not good with a test meter, i took a cap out of the one with the good power supply and placed it in the other, and did that with each cap, i plugged in the vcr each time, and finally found out one of the culprits, I got it to work for the most part, but i have to plug/unplug and and play a tape a few times for the power supply to properly work, first couple of times when going into play mode i notice the function display blinking dim and the power supply noise, after a few times it starts to work fine. So probably there are a few other caps that probably need replacing as well.. I notice the transformer is the noise maker on these, but not the problem, Im guessing the bad caps are what causing the transformer to arch. I'll probably go over to digi-key and order about ten caps of each value needed.. And maybe someone on here may know the suggested values i should order for early-mid 1980s Panasonic made VCR power supply caps. If not I may just have to go though each VCR and see the values and voltage of each cap in the power supply. Also if Im not mistaken, I believe I can go up on the voltage of caps, replace some or all caps with a higher voltage than the original.

Last edited by tvcollector; 03-14-2011 at 05:03 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-18-2021 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

What would you consider high quality caps? Nichicon? Digi key doesn't show a option for power supplies.. I think there are a few places locally that sell caps, I may just get them locally..
Old 03-15-2011, 10:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-18-2021 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the tips Andy, I've got my Magnavox Hi-Fi powering up now.. Only place that sells Capacitors locally is Radio Shack. A bit expensive. I was able to find a few of the right values, replaced about five or six of them and than it powered on.. Im going to order a bunch at the end of the month from Digi-Key.. I've got a few machines that have the fuse burnt out in them, I wonder if those are going to have other problems other than the caps?

speaking of fitting issues, the 1000uf caps from radio shack were bigger than the ones in the vcr, the section with the three of them all didn't fit, so one of them i had to solder about a inch high from the circuit board, and taped around the leads and lower part of cap with electrical tape, I may end up replacing those with a smaller sized, once I order from Digi-Key.. I got most of the smaller caps replaced on that VCR, all of the original bigger sized caps with high values and/or voltages are still in the VCR. They go for over a buck a piece on digi-key.

There's a cap that's in most of these older models valued at 120uf at 200v, Digikey doesn't have that value with the same voltage, they have one at a higher 250v, and they are 2 bucks a piece, I don't want to order a bunch of the same cap that won't fit or work..

Last edited by tvcollector; 03-18-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 03-18-2011, 10:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

If memory serves me, that was known as a "G" chassis. I loved em. The jobbers even offered a kit for the power supply. The biggest problem I saw with them was the mode switch would get dirty and confuse the CPU. This caused the gears to jump timing. There was a kit to stop this that worked great. These critters tuner could autoprogram faster than any other set I ever saw. And they gave a great picture.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-18-2021 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
The predecessor was one of the best VCR designs ever in my opinion (that GE hi-fi deck in post 10 is one of the last of those from early 1987).
This means 1986 and 1987 models only.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've noticed the different chassis in the 1986 - 87 models, I didn't know the name

Last edited by tvcollector; 04-07-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

1990 Panasonic VCR models were probably the least reliable of the G-chassis decks. Way too many surface-mount caps were used in video and Hi-Fi audio board (excluding mono units). I just had a tech re-soldered 57 joints to replace only 6 bad surface-mount caps in the video board. Tech wasn't happy with me bringing in this type of repair, and he suggests anyone to stay away from Panasonic G-chassis decks if one wants a lower repair bill.

Last edited by waltchan; 01-15-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Audiokarma