Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-20-2022, 07:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

Jvc lt26wx84

This is perhaps the oldest flatscreen I have ever found on the roadside. Its a 2003 model. As you might expect, it's NTSC only and HDReady via the DVI connector.
For a 26 inch, it is pretty heavy- about 50 lbs. Must have iron rather than aluminum for chassis panels. Even has a fan for ventilation. (Not sure what happened to the autofocus on pic2.)
Has 1980's style menu graphics.
The DEMO mode suggests that it can do splitscreen but I was unable to accomplish that.
It is surprisingly well built for a JVC!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JVC_1.jpg (60.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg JVC_2.jpg (44.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg JVC_3.jpg (70.3 KB, 23 views)
Old 09-20-2022, 07:49 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4rca View Post
This is perhaps the oldest flatscreen I have ever found on the roadside. Its a 2003 model. As you might expect, it's NTSC only and HDReady via the DVI connector.
For a 26 inch, it is pretty heavy- about 50 lbs. Must have iron rather than aluminum for chassis panels. Even has a fan for ventilation. (Not sure what happened to the autofocus on pic2.)
Has 1980's style menu graphics.
The DEMO mode suggests that it can do splitscreen but I was unable to accomplish that.
It is surprisingly well built for a JVC!
I'm curious to know how this TV will (or should) work on today's DTV standards. If it is set up for NTSC only, I don't see how it would work under today's ATSC standards unless a converter box is connected to it. I am asking this because you said the TV is NTSC only; this means, of course, it absolutely will not work without a DTV converter box. The only other use I can see for this set would be as a video monitor for a DVD player or a video game system such as an Xbox.

I cannot see how any flat-screen TV made in the 2000s would not work on today's standards; if there is a reason for this, I don't know what it could be, as most "NTSC only" digital TVs will (or should) work on modern standards using a converter box.

BTW, I am not sure exactly what you mean when you say this TV is "surprisingly well built for a JVC (television)." Is JVC a low-quality make of flat-screen TV which only lasts a year or so before failing permanently? JVC, after all, is or was (I think, anyhow) a subsidiary of the Japan Victor Company, which made very good TVs in its day. If their earlier televisions were of good quality, I see no reason why their latest flat-screen HDTVs would be at least as good, if not better, than the sets made for NTSC standards.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 09-20-2022 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-21-2022, 01:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here's the manual link to answer some of your questions:

http://resources.jvc.com/Resources/0...6/YA003ien.pdf

It will do split screen but you must have the factory remote.
Old 09-24-2022, 06:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

I did a quick glance at the manual and it looks like this set will not process 1080P. I suspect JVC OFFERED A digital tuner for OTA broadcast that you could connect using the dvi jack. Also, I think, blue ray players back then had the RGB Outputs that would feed this set. Same for DISH satellite receivers.
Old 09-24-2022, 07:20 PM
M is for Memory

Before HDMI became the standard DVI was displacing component video as the HD video cable standard...Some early HD home theater amps had DVI video switchers, I have an early Samsung HD ATSC tuner with DVI and no HDMI, and have seen cable and satellite boxes with DVI instead of HDMI.

DVI typically doesn't carry audio(I've seen it's child DisplayPort have audio capability), but aside from that it's the standard HDMI was based on and a $2 dumb cable with DVI on one end and HDMI on the other will always allow DVI to feed an HDMI TV and sometimes allow a HDMI device to feed a DVI monitor. The only sticking point is HDCP encryption on HDMI...Some older DVI monitors don't support it, though that can often be worked around by inserting a 1in 2out powered HDMI splitter. Most of those splitters remove HDCP from their output and send DVI video signals on their HDMI outputs.

If you hook that thing to a computer, the display settings program will tell you every resolution that thing supports. Some 1080 monitors only did 1080i, but not 1080p, and not all signal sources support 1080i.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 09-24-2022, 09:00 PM
<----Zenith C845

I saw, in your last post, the instruction manual for your JVC TV, and was impressed. This looks like a very well-built TV, which should work well if not abused. The warning regarding image burn-in could apply to any LCD TV (which is why most if not all LCD televisions have screen savers), so I wasn't surprised when I saw it in the manual. I'm thinking today's LED-LCD flat screen televisions, like my 32-inch Insignia, to mention but one, are not nearly as vulnerable to screen burn-in as the JVC, which is a much older set (by a few years). However, your JVC TV seems to be built like a tank, so when you get it working as it should you should have a TV which will last years, as long as the usual precautions are followed (don't leave a stationary image on the screen, such as a color-bar test chart or test pattern, any extended length of time, for one).

You mention in your post that your JVC TV is built very solidly, which is very good news if you want your TV to last a long time. LCD TVs (LED-LCDs too) are extremely fragile, so it is very important not to set the TV on its screen for any reason and, of course, be absolutely certain the set is mounted solidly to any stand it is put on.

Any flat-screen television will suffer permanent damage if the screen is struck or shattered by any means or in any way, unlike the old CRT TVs which could take almost any kind of abuse and still work normally unless, of course, the CRT neck is broken or the screen is burned by negative ions. The latter was common in the early days of cathode ray TV picture tubes, and ruined many such tubes by producing a burn mark on the screen, which was round in the case of rectangular CRTs and X-shaped on round tubes (or vice versa; I'm not sure). These tubes used a device known as an ion trap to prevent such screen damage; however, the device had to be set exactly right so as to offer the maximum protection to the screen.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 09-24-2022 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-25-2022, 07:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

The early tuners were "do everything" boxes. They would even do satellite. And not only DVI and VGA but they also had component and composite outputs. There is a switch on the far left that selects output resolution.
I checked around and the cheapest factory remote I could find was $23.
Need to check the thrift stores.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Samsung_1.jpg (63.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Samsung_2.jpg (81.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 09-25-2022, 09:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

I worked at a TV store when these came out around 2003, they were over $2k! They had the same menu and remote as the JVC CRT models we were still selling alongside. I remember thinking who would spend that much for a tiny TV?