Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:22 PM
Not sure how I got here.

remove the caps at the interlock.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

I did..
completely unhooked the tranny from TV set,and still got the same resultsDEAD SHORTin the primary..Mr.Bill @ Moyers electronics called me last night..informed he had a NIB power transformer in the box
for my model 7 AH..sent him a money order off today..and I'll still obtain one as a spare out of Louisana...that should cure the problem will have the original rebuilt later when possible$$
Old 11-02-2011, 01:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Awesome, you found a NIB transformer! Very lucky.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yes folks;
from Moyers for the amazing price of $87 bucks! I'm sorry peoples
that was the last one they had...even if its been in they're stock inventory
for the past 45 years on the self
Old 11-12-2011, 10:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

New one is now mounted and working up the rewire hookup
got one that's the longest wire,.its a white/black tracer.heavy gauge
can't remember where it goes..its over a foot long..i matched up
the rest and one left hanging...haven't powered up it yet..just want make sure
for correct reinstall...can you power up on the bench without any of the
tubes in? to check the voltages are correct after we figure out where that single power lead goes...will it fry anything without all of the tubes not installed??
Audiokarma
Old 11-12-2011, 01:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

yes you can try it with the tube out, just monitor the AC line current going in, and the AC voltage coming out on the secondary. slowly ramp up the voltage, with no filaments to heat up and no plate loads on the B+ the current should be very low, near 0 amps at low voltage, and only a few milliamps at full line voltage. with Tubes in but B+ disconnected (like a popped fuse or circuit breaker on the B+) it should be about 1 amp at full line voltage to power all the filaments. This is where a variac and AC amp meter really pay for themselves.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Did you ever get around to taking the transformer apart? A direct short is very suspicious and may appear to be fixable.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ok I found where the last wire goes to terminal strip near the E-cap #2
to the rear of #1..double checked my connections by doing one wire at a time by color code and tracer...I
Did clip back a 1/4"inch from the solder terminal. leaving a tiny bit of original insulation with the color code removing the old tranny..
one Brn/Blk to groundRed/Grn to CRT and other filaments.one Grn/REd to the "TOPHAT"diodes;one REd to the bottom of fuseholder
Brown to one side of the fusible link #26 wire;Black to terminal lug..solid green
to filaments..trying too remember the connection of the White/Black tracer goes too?..
Old 11-14-2011, 02:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

sorry Penthode
have gotten too the old tranny yet it appears to be spotwelded together case wise on the bottom half
Old 11-14-2011, 02:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

AHHH! that wht/black tracer goes to chassis ground...tried a few minutes ago to power up after double check of my reinstalland still got a signifigate hard current draw on the Amp meter on the variac...it wants to
and has tripped the circut breaker in my living room twice
I redouble check my solder connections it appears to be the same as the factory had built it...i did do one wire at a time as stated before...now i just tried it again it doesn't tripp the breaker which is weird...keeping in mind this is a brand new transformer..the field choke is still good reading 17 ohms...and yes I've been doing this with variacSuperior "Powerstat 116"
all of the E-caps are newand still have a current draw @no voltagewhat gives? that's with no tubes in

Last edited by 47'Plymouth; 11-14-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 11-14-2011, 04:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

This may be a bit of a dumb question, but does that tranny have a tapped primary for selecting Hi and Lo line voltages? If so, is there a chance you could have inadvertantly got the AC across the tapped end of the winding rather than across the whole winding? I know later RCAs had tapped primaries.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

you should be monitoring the AC line current, SLOWLY advance the variac while monitor the line current, as soon as it hits 3 amps stop. That new transformer is not going to take repeated abuse enough to pop a house circuit breaker.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

agree with old coot, you may have the primary connected up wrong using one of the voltage taps incorrectly.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ok I quit pushing it.. Immediately stopped what I was doing; walked away for whiletook a break before starting a fire:thumbsdn
Me and Danny from Atlanta..who's folks were the RCA
Dealer starting 1954 sell these sets to the wealthy..he answered my add for a correct hand remote from one someone traded in..he kept the remote from that one...over the years...from phone conversations..i described what was bugging me with my 7...with new tranny and power supply short
in about an hour or so time we had it licked..i accidently crossed color coded
wire in the Primary;for which i feel so stupidfor doing it wrong..gladly NOT Blowing up my NOS power tranny.."I'm so glad i had a Variac to work with"that prevented any damage to it; he had ask me to unhook the transformer from the set..and we step by step redid the install over the phone..with great success
plug in 2 tubes to see if i had good heater voltage with the Variac that was also a great victorythis set i found out that some old local techy tried to
run this 7 without the remote chassis hooked together..YOU CAN"T DO THAT!because of its design it has to go through the remoter 1st in order to power up..yes it was left plugged in years ago and struck by lighting
and also by a so called know it all idiot he the unknown old techy tried to by pass it;reset up it like a "Anderson 7" is set up probably why the owner gave up and bought a new set..leaving this one setting up in their front living room all these years until they passed away..till I purchased it..
now I'm on our way to reverse the old problems with your very knowlegeable
kind help to save a very rare color set from the 50's..I'm NOT letting its problems beat me upI'm learning anew..afresh and will help
someone else in the near future if another turns up..I'll keep you folks inform on this set as i go..again thanks

Last edited by 47'Plymouth; 11-17-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

corrected my mistakeand got her to power up and the remote tuner motor to work also on the variac laying on the bench
the grease was stiff inside the gear box and add a few drops of 3&1 oil to thin it up...have yet to reinstall the chassis back into the cabinet..for total
confirmation on complete power up with CRT/yoke plugged back in..will keep ya'll informed asap..I wished i had a digital camera to share the progress
Audiokarma