Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

How much do you pamper your sets?

Aside from the electronic restorations and regular maintenance. Do you sometimes find yourself polishing your sets as you would a classic car that you rarely drive? Call me weird if you will but i have an early 60's Packard-Bell that gets polished up religiously at least once a month. Not exactly a desirable set but the mid century modern cabinet just looks so darn cool!

Its proudly displayed in my living room and i have this urge to make sure the thing always looks like it just rolled of the factory line! It has a solid teak base and teak veneer on the main housing. The thing is flawless and i intend on keeping that way!

Funny thing is after im done polishing it up, it almost looks like the set is smiling at me..ok enough of that for now..time for bed!
Old 07-27-2011, 11:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Avoid Pledge. Silicone oil contamination can create severe problems if you ever need to refinish or touch up a lacquered cabinet.

Even if you think you'll never refinish that cabinet, silicone oil is easily transported to other objects via your hands, etc. Very pervasive stuff.

Phil Nelson
Old 07-27-2011, 11:25 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

How does one go about getting the pledge off once it's been applied? I know people use it all the time, I use it on my coffee table personally. Thankfully I haven't had to do anything to my sets, they look pretty good to me as they are.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:59 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I'm a big fan of Howard's products...For the record, I try to keep my stuff dusted. I give virtually EVERYTHING a good, general cleaning when I get it, & then "touch-ups" as needed.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:08 AM
Workin' Late Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
How does one go about getting the pledge off once it's been applied? I know people use it all the time, I use it on my coffee table personally. Thankfully I haven't had to do anything to my sets, they look pretty good to me as they are.
You can't ever get it all off. It's like an incurable disease to a furniture surface. All you can do is add more silicone (fish-eye remover) to your spray lacquer. You need to lower the surface tension within the lacquer, in an attempt to keep it from pooling on the contaminated surface. But then you have silcone in your spray equipment to deal with.
Audiokarma
Old 07-28-2011, 12:57 AM
First Light: 1952-2011

But would it not come off if the wood were sanded and refinished?
Old 07-28-2011, 01:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

Sanding would work if it were a hard material, but this is an oil which can penetrate. If sanding carries silicone oil down into the wood fibers, then you are truly hosed.

I think some people believe they know how to seal it off so that finish can be applied on top, but I wouldn't count on that.

There are other products, such as good old-fashioned wax, that you can use if you love to shine things. Why complicate life by using something known to make trouble?

Phil Nelson
Old 07-28-2011, 11:01 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

I don't do much other than dusting, except leave them alone and run them at least once a year to keep the caps formed up. My micro TV collection is in a closed room which we don't use, and therefore it never seems to get any dust. And I also have my "new in the box" collection, which for obvious reasons is left alone.

My '65 Zenith roundie, and a couple of other sets which are in room used, get dusted & waxed along with the rest of the furniture. Nothing special.

Charles
Old 07-28-2011, 06:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Howard's wax twice a month. I use all my sets 3 or 4 hours a month. My RCA 730TV1 has a am/fm radio and phonograph so I play with this set a lot.

Steve
Old 07-28-2011, 07:33 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

A LOT of my stuff is BOATANCHORS, so I don't have to "pamper" them quite as much...But I HAVE given most of them "The Treatment"- Remove the knobs, clean the faces w/Windex/Simple Green/Water, go over 'em w/Meguier's Body Scrub, & finally a coat or 2 of Meguier's Carnauba Wax. They often look like new then ! A lot of 'em fit in special cases, several of those I've had re-painted. As Boatanchors typically weigh 75-100LBS, you tend to get them "Set" as you want them, & then fool w/'em as little as possible.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

We run into some serious silicone problems at our body shop, mostly folks loading their tires up with Armor All which then gets thrown all down the side. Nasty, nasty stuff. On a car it usually means wiping down, several times, with a pretty strong solvent. The stuff we use is called GON and has a lot of toluene in it. I wouldn't put it on any wood that I didn't want to refinish.