Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:12 PM
AK Member

Assistance requested in identifying part

Hello,

I picked up a number of older television sets earlier today and would like to repair this one in particular. I have repaired vintage radio and computer equipment, but I am unfamilar with the internals of a CRT television set.

There is a broken piece that appears as if it would be vital to normal operation, and I would appreciate assistance in identifying it so that I may replace or repair it.

Pictures:

http://selenium.ginkosoft.com:8080/tvpics/100_1616.jpg
http://selenium.ginkosoft.com:8080/tvpics/100_1617.jpg
http://selenium.ginkosoft.com:8080/tvpics/100_1618.jpg

What is the function and name of this broken plastic ring piece? It seems to have three electromagnetic coils and seems to have melted off the neck of the picture tube at some point in the set's life.

Is this part replacable? Where would I find one? Can I operate the set without it? What functionality would be reduced or lost?

Sorry for the potentially absurd questions, and thank you in advance.

-Michael
Old 06-19-2010, 05:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

This looks like a CTC-16 set or such to me.

The "plastic ring piece" you are referring to, is known in our circles as the "convergence yoke", or assembly. It fits around the neck of the tube neck, near the back, over the proper position of the gun assy. It "converges" the 3 beams from the guns---so that they only fall on the right phospor at the right time and place. With it off--you WILL get a "picture" , BUT it will be "all out of whack" with overlapping colors and ghosting of colors" and purity issues.

As for the base of the tube...it did NOT get like that from the convergence yoke---most likely--it became brittle from age, and something bumped it---and cracked it like that. As long as the tube itself is not damaged, and the lead wires from it are ok to the base---it is no big deal.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:44 PM
AK Member

Hello,

Yes, thank you. The ring piece is the only part that seems to be damaged, the crack in the tube base doesn't seem to have damaged it in any way.

The set is MODEL # GF-681W RCA VICTOR "NEW VISTA" which resulted in another number when searched online -- CTC16E

What are the chances of repairing the existing "convergence yoke"? The plastic has been melted and warped. Is this a part that could be easily found a replacement for?

-Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca2000 View Post
This looks like a CTC-16 set or such to me.

The "plastic ring piece" you are referring to, is known in our circles as the "convergence yoke", or assembly. It fits around the neck of the tube neck, near the back, over the proper position of the gun assy. It "converges" the 3 beams from the guns---so that they only fall on the right phospor at the right time and place. With it off--you WILL get a "picture" , BUT it will be "all out of whack" with overlapping colors and ghosting of colors" and purity issues.

As for the base of the tube...it did NOT get like that from the convergence yoke---most likely--it became brittle from age, and something bumped it---and cracked it like that. As long as the tube itself is not damaged, and the lead wires from it are ok to the base---it is no big deal.