Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:43 PM
On Land

Saying goodbye to my TV friend

I'm sad to report that another true TV-repair man is about to move on to somewhere beyond our plane of existence. Bruce Lenassi of the previous Carl's TV in Port Arthur, has been in the hospital for several days with ARDS (Acute respiratory distress syndrome). He is not expected to live. His condition seemed to level out for a bit, but now it's getting worse, and after my last two visits, I'll be very surprised if he lasts another 24 hours. From what I read about ARDS, it's usually fatal. It's caused by an underlying problem or infection... that of which the doctors have been unable to determine so far.

Bruce is only 56 years old. He's never been sick other than an occasional sinus issue. He does not have a medical history and does not take meds. He doesn't smoke. He's been pretty healthy all his life until now.

Bruce worked in his fathers shop since he was a young lad, and then took over his father's repair business several years ago. As with most repair shops, the change in times and development of the cheap "disposable" TV became a strain on the shop's business. He was dedicated to keeping his father's shop going, but business just kept getting worse. After Hurricane Rita hit five years ago, the shop was just barely standing. He had to give up the repair business and eventually got a job testing hospital equipment.

I first met Bruce about seven years ago. For those of you that have been here on this site since then, you may remember my postings about finding many of my TV treasures in the attic of Carl's TV shop. Some of the items include my Sylvania Halolite, CTC-15 Beauchamp, CTC-15 Vislanda, Motorola 21CT2, and many other sets, CRT's and parts. Rich (Polaraman) also made a trip here and brought some goodies home as well. There are several of you that I've sent parts to in the past years. Those parts came from Bruce's shop.

Bruce was always glad to give me pointers and tips regarding the repair of these old sets, and was always amazed how I was able to bring them back to life after they had been sitting in the attic of that old shop for 30+ years. His first reaction to seeing one of those sets playing was usually "Wow!"

Bruce and his wife Janice stayed with me here at my cabin in the woods during Hurricanes Rita and Ike. We all sat around for many nights watching movies on vintage 50's sets powered by generator... some of those sets being ones I found in his shop.

It's always sad to hear that someone's about to make their big exit. It seems even more so in this case being that he's relatively young.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

sad ...

I feel so sad to read this... you friend sounds like a good man...and 56 is way too young...

I just hope there is a miracle and somehow he pulls through...
Old 06-08-2010, 03:03 AM
VK Member

Hello Charlie,

I am very sorry to read this about your TV friend. These are always sad news which brought back to our mind how short our lifes can be. It is hard in these situations to hope for a miracle! I know.

For myself, I got a very stadgering diagnosis from the doctor in March. He found a small-celled lung neoplasm (oat-cell carcinoma) inoperable due to many metastases in the liver. The average life expectancy with this diagnosis is appr. one year. It was a great shock for my family and for me, but I found strong power in my faith, so I feel good and happy in face of this lethal disease. The cancer has become part of the everyday's life.

Meanwhile I am in the fourth cycle of chemotherapy with good results, so I can hope for a longer life expectancy.

Due to this disease, I am not able to write frequently in AK, but when I have an idea or a commentary, I will do it.

Now, I have to stop since in one hour I get my next intravenous drip of the chemotherapy.

Kind regards,
Eckhard
Old 06-08-2010, 08:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

He's been more than just a TV friend, but a special, dear friend to you and part of your life.

We do come across many good people and associates through our lives, but the ones that impact us most are truely one of a kind.

My best to you too, Charlie.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

I don't have mamy friends like that. Never did---at least for long.

But...there is ONE person in my life--who is VERY special to me. What began as simply my hairstylist has grown into a VERY close, caring friendship, between me and my friend--who often seems to think of me a LOT like her son--even though she is only about 3 years older than I am. SOmetimes she gives me compassion--sometimes, constructive cricicism, when she feels I need it.

And THIS one--does NOT seem to be a "short teerm" friendship, either. In Sept..it will be 3 years, that we became friends....and CLOSE friends about 2.5 of those.
Audiokarma
Old 06-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Charlie, It Ain't Over Til It's Over...Let's hope he beats the odds & pulls thru outta this.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:23 AM
On Land

Well guys, he made his final exit during the night. It seems to me the doctors were surprised he made it as long as he did.

Another true TV repairman gone... one that believed in finding that tiny little faulty part instead of changing an entire board.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:41 AM
See yourself on Color TV!

Charlie, so sorry for your loss. Thoughts are with you.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:42 AM
Convergence freak!

Im sorry to hear.. I have had tragedy in my family and I have had a few friends pass on as well. The suffering is over now and he is in good hands.
Shawn
Old 06-08-2010, 10:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yeah Charlie, it sucks. I'll say a prayer for him and his family.
Audiokarma
Old 06-08-2010, 11:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

I know how you feel, the neighbor who taught me tv/electronics repair died in much the same way. Without him I would have ended up a burger world failure for sure.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sorry to hear, thoughts are with his family, and you for the loss of a friend.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

And on MY job...I am shackled with a 22YO. KID--whom' after me teching him how to work on flat--panel tv's for 3 MONTHS...he NOW thinks he knows as MUCH AS ME--and I have messed with this shit for OVER 30 YEARS!!

He as much as told me he "does not need my help anymore--and he is in VERY tight with the boss, unfortunately. ALL they see here are NUMBERS. yesterday--he blew out 20"completes" JUST to make he "old man" lok bad(me) Nevcer mind that nearly ALL of them were simply "liquidates"9simply writing down the model#, SN and then sending out the unit--less than 5 MINUTES--and NONE involved ANY actual electronic repair...the boss is SOOOO proud of him today!~!! HE has NOT done nealry ANY work since lunch as over--about noon--and spent over an HOUR, just chewing the rag" with the boss and other employees.

And...just 3 weeks ago...he told me how thankful he was for me--and if it was not for me--he would NOT likely have a job!!

What a difference a couple of weeks make....

Last edited by rca2000; 06-08-2010 at 01:07 PM. Reason: added info
Old 06-08-2010, 01:56 PM
sampson159

i have trained many young people throught the years and have encountered the same attitude.i always told them the old bull/young bull story.i am always happy with their success and the portion i played in it but remember,we were the "young" one once ourselves.they will be the "old"guy sometime.they will learn as we did!
Old 06-08-2010, 02:56 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Charlie, my condolences on the loss of your friend.

Eckhard, my thoughts and prayers are with you for a recovery. I do enjoy your postings very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagosaga View Post
Hello Charlie,

I am very sorry to read this about your TV friend. These are always sad news which brought back to our mind how short our lifes can be. It is hard in these situations to hope for a miracle! I know.

For myself, I got a very stadgering diagnosis from the doctor in March. He found a small-celled lung neoplasm (oat-cell carcinoma) inoperable due to many metastases in the liver. The average life expectancy with this diagnosis is appr. one year. It was a great shock for my family and for me, but I found strong power in my faith, so I feel good and happy in face of this lethal disease. The cancer has become part of the everyday's life.

Meanwhile I am in the fourth cycle of chemotherapy with good results, so I can hope for a longer life expectancy.

Due to this disease, I am not able to write frequently in AK, but when I have an idea or a commentary, I will do it.

Now, I have to stop since in one hour I get my next intravenous drip of the chemotherapy.

Kind regards,
Eckhard
Audiokarma