Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Latest find..RCA 111-K

I found this locally, and manged to pick it up for considerably less than the asking price. She was selling it to "make some room in the garage".

It is an RCA 111-K. I wasn't too optimistic when I looked at her not so great photos, but I enlarged them, and didn't see any structural damage or any other red flags. After wiping it down with an getting all the dust off. his is what it looks like.

I would imagine that it will be a nice sounding radio once it is gone through. I was pleasantly surprised to find the cabinet to be in such good shape. All of the veneer is intact with no lose edges or bubbles. The cord is trashed but the chassis is pretty clean, and there are no signs of Willard having lived in it.

I will be going over it with Gojo to clean it up some more.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie1210 View Post
I found this locally, and manged to pick it up for considerably less than the asking price. She was selling it to "make some room in the garage".

It is an RCA 111-K. I wasn't too optimistic when I looked at her not so great photos, but I enlarged them, and didn't see any structural damage or any other red flags. After wiping it down with an getting all the dust off. his is what it looks like.

I would imagine that it will be a nice sounding radio once it is gone through. I was pleasantly surprised to find the cabinet to be in such good shape. All of the veneer is intact with no lose edges or bubbles. The cord is trashed but the chassis is pretty clean, and there are no signs of Willard having lived in it.

I will be going over it with Gojo to clean it up some more.

I haven't seem one of them in a good long time.
I helped a buddy repair one of those and it sounded very good.
IIRC, that was the first year RCA used four 6K6's instead of two 6F6's. They also used a hi-mu phase inverter tube instead of a 6J5 or so.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Somewhere I read where a guy replaced the 6K6's with 6L6's and he said it sounded even better. I don't know if that would be true or not. Sounds expensive. Aren't 6L6's what the guitar guys love?
Old 12-13-2018, 09:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

That is a really nice looking radio. If it sounds anywhere near as nice as it looks you’ll be good! Nice find
Old 12-13-2018, 10:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Somewhere I read where a guy replaced the 6K6's with 6L6's and he said it sounded even better. I don't know if that would be true or not. Sounds expensive. Aren't 6L6's what the guitar guys love?
The basing's the same, but the 'L6 heater is 900 ma., vs. the 'K6 at 400 ma. It should work fine provided the heater draw doesn't stress the power xfmr. Maybe need to tweak the G1 bias a little.
Audiokarma
Old 12-14-2018, 06:27 AM
Peanut Head

Quote:
Yes they do...but it's also used in hi-fi audio!

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
The circuit was designed to run 6K6's, so I fail to see any real improvement..
The circuit uses self bias and a not very impressive output transformer. It's a decent sounding radio, as-is.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have a 19-K which is the same from the RF amp right up to the 6SF5 first audio and phase inverter tubes , but having two 6F6 outputs rather than the four 6K6 yours has , and the 19K has the smaller 5Y3 rather than the beefier 5U4 of your 111-K . Gotta feed those two extra 6K6s and the 6U5 eye

Anyway , here's some shots from when I restuffed the power supply capacitor , your gonna like the big booming bass your 111-K has if it's anything like my 19-K .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCA 1.jpg (82.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg RCA 2.jpg (84.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg RCA 3.jpg (67.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg RCA 4.jpg (69.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg RCA 5.jpg (74.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 12-17-2018, 10:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
I have a 19-K which is the same from the RF amp right up to the 6SF5 first audio and phase inverter tubes , but having two 6F6 outputs rather than the four 6K6 yours has , and the 19K has the smaller 5Y3 rather than the beefier 5U4 of your 111-K . Gotta feed those two extra 6K6s and the 6U5 eye

Anyway , here's some shots from when I restuffed the power supply capacitor , your gonna like the big booming bass your 111-K has if it's anything like my 19-K .
In your 19K, they're running the 6F6's very conservatively, using lower voltage for the plates and screens. It's rated only 5.5 watts max power output.
In the 111K, they're running the four 6K6's with 50 volts higher, plate and screen voltage and the rated power output is 12 watts max.
The output tubes are drawing more current, so it needs a 5U4. A bit more booming base.
Both are still real nice radios.