Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Motorola made several different models of the flip-cover portables, some battery only models.
Does yours state Motorola Inc or Galvin Mfg. Co.? That might the first model after they changed the corporate name.
I opened the back and it has one tag that just reads "Motorola". I know there was another more deluxe version, I believe with a front drop-down door, three knobs, and possible AC/DC. I would suspect this was their first line of battery only portables in 1939.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:09 AM
M is for Memory

I like that moto too. I briefly had one just like that and still have the older version with the knobs stacked (first 3-way that I adapted to modern batteries)...The older on came from a yard sale in Lombard Il. When I was around 10-12 years old I bought it from the kids of the original owner...Apparently, it was bought by a paperboy as his bicycle radio. Also got a Grunding so-205U console from that sale...It had a sad fate.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-08-2018, 01:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I like that moto too. I briefly had one just like that and still have the older version with the knobs stacked (first 3-way that I adapted to modern batteries)...The older on came from a yard sale in Lombard Il. When I was around 10-12 years old I bought it from the kids of the original owner...Apparently, it was bought by a paperboy as his bicycle radio. Also got a Grunding so-205U console from that sale...It had a sad fate.
Good stories Tom. I too started collecting at about 12-13, and I too basically trashed those early sets. The were very inexpensive back then and when they stopped playing my father would say "you can't get the parts for those old sets anymore". One nice '48 GE was ruined when I sprayed Windex on the dial - need say more!

PS - I recently grabbed one more of these airplane-luggage battery-only portables - a 1939 RCA-Victor 94BP-1. When I saw how nice this original set was and how reasonably priced it was (working w/battery pack), it was a no-brainer to get it. That great little dial with the blue-background, small "little nipper" knobs, and nice brass plaque is just enough to make it attractive.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1939 RCA Victor 94BP-1.jpg (65.2 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Celt; 12-13-2018 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:17 PM
M is for Memory

Thanks.

I actually was a very responsible kid when it came to tube radios (Newer SS gear though I often bought just for the fun of dismantling)... I was probably around 4-6 when I got my first tube radio and most were kept well.

That Grundig was pristine except for the dial strings being off (I just set FM tuning cap to my favorite station and used the record changer)...When I was 12 years old and my family getting ready to move I brought it to a certain S&S Grundig shop in Chicago the changer on the unit was not secured and on the ride there it fell out and the pickup arm broke...The mean Germans that ran the place had the gall to blame ME for breaking the arm. A bit of a scene and argument broke out. After that, we took it to the shop of the fellow that got me started in radio repair. He discovered there was a damaged friction clutch mech on the tuning knob that the band switch actuated to operate the FM cap independent of the AM/SW cap. He was unsure if he could get the parts he needed, and while he was looking into it the console fell off a cart in his shop and the cabinet got ruined...After that, it got sold for parts. I really liked that console and was not happy at what became of it.

Old 12-08-2018, 04:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Thanks.

I actually was a very responsible kid when it came to tube radios (Newer SS gear though I often bought just for the fun of dismantling)... I was probably around 4-6 when I got my first tube radio and most were kept well.

That Grundig was pristine except for the dial strings being off (I just set FM tuning cap to my favorite station and used the record changer)...When I was 12 years old and my family getting ready to move I brought it to a certain S&S Grundig shop in Chicago the changer on the unit was not secured and on the ride there it fell out and the pickup arm broke...The mean Germans that ran the place had the gall to blame ME for breaking the arm. A bit of a scene and argument broke out. After that, we took it to the shop of the fellow that got me started in radio repair. He discovered there was a damaged friction clutch mech on the tuning knob that the band switch actuated to operate the FM cap independent of the AM/SW cap. He was unsure if he could get the parts he needed, and while he was looking into it the console fell off a cart in his shop and the cabinet got ruined...After that, it got sold for parts. I really liked that console and was not happy at what became of it.
Sad about the Grundig. Even in my case, sets got ruined not from misuse, but mishaps. I learned as I got older how to leave well enough alone with these old sets in both tinkering and cleaning. Also, as I got better sets and spent more money on them, it gave me incentive to be extra delicate with them!
Audiokarma
Old 12-09-2018, 08:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

In my experience those battery only radios or 3-way power radios like what is being discussed in this thread are NOT inexpensive the "cheapest" one I've seen so far was over $100 which isn't inexpensive, for me if its $50 or less that's what I consider inexpensive. So unfortunately I'm probably never going to own a battery only set, seeing as I don't ever spend more than $50 for anything like a vintage radio or stereo equipment.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortalexfan View Post
In my experience those battery only radios or 3-way power radios like what is being discussed in this thread are NOT inexpensive the "cheapest" one I've seen so far was over $100 which isn't inexpensive, for me if its $50 or less that's what I consider inexpensive. So unfortunately I'm probably never going to own a battery only set, seeing as I don't ever spend more than $50 for anything like a vintage radio or stereo equipment.
I'm saying these are inexpensive in relation to the average price mid-level antique radios go for these days. In that light I feel I'm fair in what I said. I got my first example this year, the '40 Firestone, for $55, and it's in exceptional condition. If you keep an eye open for them, I'm sure you can find one within your range. To call these anything near expensive radios would be incorrect.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:40 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortalexfan View Post
These portables and farm sets do tend to be on the low end of the market. With farm radio tombstones where there was also an AC set that used the same cabinet the battery only versions tend to fetch ~1/2-1/4 the price of the AC versions. Many portables tend to be cheap as well. Granted better condition tube radios have generally been climbing out of the $5-40 range.

The nicer stuff you gotta pay more for or be really persistent in your search and or lucky. I often go to radio swapmeets ready to spend $100-300...Sometimes I hunt up a bunch of deals on low price stuff sometimes I blow most of it on a big ticket item that I feel I'll enjoy more than 5-10 average or project sets, sometimes I just don't want anything all that much and buy nothing or close to it (and save that money for other stuff).
Also you only have so much space, once it fills (that has happened to me a few times) if you still want stuff you start to realize that selling 10 cheap and or junky sets and spending the money earned on one really nice set both fixes the space issue and improves the overall quality of what you have...

Old 12-10-2018, 04:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
These portables and farm sets do tend to be on the low end of the market. With farm radio tombstones where there was also an AC set that used the same cabinet the battery only versions tend to fetch ~1/2-1/4 the price of the AC versions. Many portables tend to be cheap as well. Granted better condition tube radios have generally been climbing out of the $5-40 range.

The nicer stuff you gotta pay more for or be really persistent in your search and or lucky. I often go to radio swapmeets ready to spend $100-300...Sometimes I hunt up a bunch of deals on low price stuff sometimes I blow most of it on a big ticket item that I feel I'll enjoy more than 5-10 average or project sets, sometimes I just don't want anything all that much and buy nothing or close to it (and save that money for other stuff).
Also you only have so much space, once it fills (that has happened to me a few times) if you still want stuff you start to realize that selling 10 cheap and or junky sets and spending the money earned on one really nice set both fixes the space issue and improves the overall quality of what you have...
I agree. The bottom line is collecting antiques is a luxury. If you can't afford to pay what the average selling price is to be in the hobby, then it's probably best not to be involved. I sacrifice money that I could be putting towards many other things to enjoy this hobby, but then I'll back away from it for long stretches every once in while due to finances.
In the antique radio hobby, if you can't afford these battery sets, or typical AA5's and such, then it's definitely not for you.

Last edited by decojoe67; 12-10-2018 at 06:23 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by decojoe67 View Post
I recently grabbed one more of these airplane-luggage battery-only portables - a 1939 RCA-Victor 94BP-1. When I saw how nice this original set was and how reasonably priced it was (working w/battery pack), it was a no-brainer to get it. That great little dial with the blue-background, small "little nipper" knobs, and nice brass plaque is just enough to make it attractive.
Thanks for the reminder... I just hauled one of these down from a top shelf where it has been sitting as a static display for at least 20 years. It has a slightly different color scheme than yours, with a light olive green front and back, green dial background and cream colored “little nipper” knobs. I just replaced one tube and connected it to power supplies and it appears to work, but is fairly weak. Pix will follow after clean-up and re-cap.

IMHO, these battery only sets are usually quite inexpensive compared to AC radios from the 30s.

jr
Audiokarma
Old 12-10-2018, 05:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Thanks for the reminder... I just hauled one of these down from a top shelf where it has been sitting as a static display for at least 20 years. It has a slightly different color scheme than yours, with a light olive green front and back, green dial background and cream colored “little nipper” knobs. I just replaced one tube and connected it to power supplies and it appears to work, but is fairly weak. Pix will follow after clean-up and re-cap.

IMHO, these battery only sets are usually quite inexpensive compared to AC radios from the 30s.

jr
Cool! It's a nice robust set and a great performer once restored. My research on it has shown that it was available in a few different types of Tolex finishes, dial and knob colors.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

I find that the days of nice $50 sets are about over. Usually a $50 radio is either an undesirable model, or an example which needs a lot of work. There's a lot to the statement that something is only original once. When I began this hobby, I liked the prospect of buying a beater for low money, and re-finishing it. These days, I have zero interest in a cabinet which needs extensive work. I either want original, or I'll pass on it. Unless of course it's a really cool radio, and there's options for rescuing the original finish.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by decojoe67 View Post
Cool! It's a nice robust set and a great performer once restored. My research on it has shown that it was available in a few different types of Tolex finishes, dial and knob colors.
Here is a quick shot of the color scheme on mine... I just ploped it down on an end table that is being prepaired for our tree. The Matchless “wonder stars” also date back to the 30s.

jr
Old 12-10-2018, 08:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Here is a quick shot of the color scheme on mine... I just ploped it down on an end table that is being prepaired for our tree. The Matchless “wonder stars” also date back to the 30s.

jr
Very nice example! I like that variation too. Nice how they used the light colored knobs on yours to contrast the darker tone.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Another battery only set in my collection is this compact Majestic 130 which at only 4x5.5x7 inches, is similar in size to the Sonora “Candid” mentioned earlier in this thread.

Major difference in design philosophy however, the Sonora uses 4 miniature tubes, while the Majestic stuck with octal tubes, and only had room for 3 tubes. Performance is not outstanding, but it is a cute little radio, and difficult to find. Likely not as inexpensive as the larger sets.

jr
Audiokarma