Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:25 AM
M is for Memory

Boldly venturing into woodworking.

Some years back I cot a Coronado Tombstone for IIRC $10 in a donation auction. It would have been cheaper but someone else wanted it for the knobs, and we struck a deal of you can have the nobs for free if you let me have the rest. The set had been basically painted DARK brown, and a lousy job at that. It can be seen in before state here below the pay here sign. http://warci.org/may-22nd-2016-meeti...-carousel-4028

I ended up stripping it down. The piece of wood that makes the center bump in the top was split front to back and the top under it was also split side to side and loose. I ended up taking all but the front bottom top board off and carefully gluing it all back together. Where the top board met the sides on that angled area there had been wood fil that the top work displaced which I refilled. The two kinds of wood did not match and the fill complicated matters so I decided to paint the small angled corners of the top brown so that area would have even color. Using enamel brown on those two small patches and letting it dry but not cure was a wise move its incompatibility with the toner lacquer was just enough to create some surprisingly woodgrain like pattern on those strips. I did not get the toner lacquer or clear coat spray perfect (especially given some spots on the top that were resistant to adhesion of the lacquer) but the results are pretty decent for my first radio cabinet refinish...

DSCN9715 by Tom Carlson, on Flickr

I've also got a completed TV cabinet that I'll post about soon and a couple more radios in the works.

I can finally check wood refinishing off the list of resto techniques to get started in.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-18-2018, 02:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Great work on that cabinet !

I gotta admit I was always so much more interested in the electronics than the woodworking that I never did take on any tube equipment that needed such cosmetic repair .
Old 10-18-2018, 05:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nice job! Woodworking is not easy and requires a lot of time and patience. You can't beat mid-1930' tombstone sets.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:21 PM
Tinker

Looks good Tom.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Some years back I cot a Coronado Tombstone for IIRC $10 in a donation auction. It would have been cheaper but someone else wanted it for the knobs, and we struck a deal of you can have the nobs for free if you let me have the rest. The set had been basically painted DARK brown, and a lousy job at that. It can be seen in before state here below the pay here sign. http://warci.org/may-22nd-2016-meeti...-carousel-4028

I ended up stripping it down. The piece of wood that makes the center bump in the top was split front to back and the top under it was also split side to side and loose. I ended up taking all but the front bottom top board off and carefully gluing it all back together. Where the top board met the sides on that angled area there had been wood fil that the top work displaced which I refilled. The two kinds of wood did not match and the fill complicated matters so I decided to paint the small angled corners of the top brown so that area would have even color. Using enamel brown on those two small patches and letting it dry but not cure was a wise move its incompatibility with the toner lacquer was just enough to create some surprisingly woodgrain like pattern on those strips. I did not get the toner lacquer or clear coat spray perfect (especially given some spots on the top that were resistant to adhesion of the lacquer) but the results are pretty decent for my first radio cabinet refinish...

DSCN9715 by Tom Carlson, on Flickr

I've also got a completed TV cabinet that I'll post about soon and a couple more radios in the works.

I can finally check wood refinishing off the list of resto techniques to get started in.
What's the model number of the set? It looks like a Belmont set. With the control knobs so close together, it looks like a farm battery set.
It really does look good.
Audiokarma
Old 10-19-2018, 11:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

The dial looks like it has shortwave. But where is the bandswitch? Or maybe the dial is in kcs/meters. Hard to tell.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:52 PM
M is for Memory

Thanks everyone. It is a model 575. It is a 120vac set single broadcast band set...dial has both frequency and wavelength.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-24-2018, 11:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Thanks everyone. It is a model 575. It is a 120vac set single broadcast band set...dial has both frequency and wavelength.
I looked up the schematic in N/A.
It's a non/AVC short superhet with a tuned RF stage. It's circuitry is rather strange compared to the other sets of the day. I was never too crazy about the volume control in the antenna circuit, instead of the audio circuit.
It seems this set was designed using left-over parts from the TRF receivers.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Good job! It looks nice. Wood work can be as fun as the electric part... ok I lied, lol

Ive only done 4, 1 TV and 3 radios and my 4rd one was easier and looks better so practice makes perfect. Ive kinda settled on the acetone/lacquer thinner mix for stripping which is a quick way of doing it and can stain right after the strip I dont get carried away with filling and making it look perfect but I like putting spray lacquer on thick for protection. Scratches dont seem to look bad when stripped with the magic mix.

My last tombstone was stained 2 hrs after i started and that included getting stuff ready, stripping, a light sanding, staining. Guess im saying it doesnt have to be hard but you can make it hard. I have built some furniture in the past so have an edge over a novice, but I never could match filler well.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:52 PM
Workin' Late Again

It turned out great.
Audiokarma