Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:22 PM
Tooluser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmuri View Post
It's almost as loud as the Horiz Osc in my '64 Zenith console, but at a lower pitch. It's annoying enough that I wouldn't want it plugged in all the time.
I have a digital stream converter and it is silent.

If I were you I would exchange it ASAP, while they are still available and the warranty period definitely hasn't expired... for the minimum wage clerk, don't just say it whistles, say that after 30 minutes it conks out... don't put up with defective equipment, IT will DEFINITELY die, the only question is how long it will take.

Before you accept the exchange unit, see if IT whistles....

There's probably a loose winding in the dc:dc converter's high frequency transformer, mechanically resonating at a submultiple of the switching frequency. They DON'T use 60 hz iron anymore, they rectify the line (yes, they handle 300+v just fine) , charge up a cap and drive a high frequency switching power supply.

I would expect that eventually the transformer WILL fail due to metal fatigue in the loose winding.

I have ACTUALLY seen an 8 pin DIP integrated circuit (STR_A6251), that uses a few caps, diodes and transformer and IS a complete 15 watt switching flyback power supply.

Nothing is ever completely fool proof, because fools are so ingenious.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Maybe some of the money received from the frequency band sale should be used to help the people mentioned in this study.

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/s...leID=207200035

From what the article says, neither converter nor digital TV will help them-they are losing broadcast TV unless something in addition is purchased (such as a better antenna).

9.2 million households sounds pretty high.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Peverett, that just ain't right. Let's see what happens....

Mark it's interesting about the flyback supplies...no wonder why the electronics have gotten consistently lighter in weight (and cheaper).... big iron equals big pricetage more often than not. So far my Zenith box has been great, just need a bigger antenna for it to be reliable.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:12 AM
Tooluser

I have an 11 foot antenna sitting on the back porch, and the rotator ready to go, all I need is to arrange a rotator cable and RG-6 downlead (for the high-uhf channels) and somehow figure how to get it UP there....

I suspect (at least in the Chicago area) that partial VHF band antennas ( VHF -HI: ch 7-13, 174-216mhz) if available will prove popular because frequency channels 2-6 (54-88mhz) will be going dark, while frequency channel 7 (174-180mhz) WILL carry what Chicagoans are used to seeing on Channel 7(WLS).. and frequency channel 12 (204-210mhz) will carry Channel 2(WBBM).

decoded - it makes for a lots smaller antenna, don't need those LONG elements...

Otherwise if the DTV channels were just on UHF(470-806mhz), it would be lots easier to have some really good, cheap hi-gain UHF antennas (could even homebrew THEM).

Nothing is ever completely fool proof, because fools are so ingenious.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:47 AM
AK Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmuri View Post

Wish I could find one labeled "Farnsworth"...

If that's a Kyle Farnsworth, then it won't receive any stations when
under pressure.http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/ima...es/biggrin.gif
Audiokarma