Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:56 PM
On Land

Any Dodge Challengers in the house?

Was wondering if anyone here drives the new generation Challenger. When I return from sea in January, I plan on going down to the Dodge dealer and getting the 2014 Challenger RT Classic.

If there are any Challenger owners here, tell me what to expect. Of course, I expect a lot of FUN! I also expect I will be buying my first set of tires in less than 6 months!!

I was curious if any current Challenger owners have experienced any problems.

On a side note, I see that we have a CT100 up for sale now. Dammit... just when I finally decide to buy a new car! I am almost tempted to skip the car. Must stay focused... new car... new car... new car.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:00 AM
Administrator

Wife and I test drove this exact car over the summer. Yep, it's still on their lot

http://www.cappellinobuickgmc.com/Ve...-NY/2019476623

My guess is that the asking price is keeping buyers away, but I have to say that the car was so insanely stupidly fast, that owning one is asking for trouble. Yep, we had a fun test drive . This particular one was supposed to be some special very limited edition....never was curious enough to find out if that's true or just salesman BS.

I myself wouldn't hesitate to buy a slightly tamer version. It was comfortable, even in the back seat (no, the test drive wasn't THAT fun! ). Plus, it felt like a real car underneath, not like many of the current tomato cans on the road.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:34 AM
On Land

Tim, I had considered the V6 model, but not for long. This is my first new car.... ever! I'm not going to settle for less than what I want. But I gotta say... the V6 version has a helluva lot more power (305 horses) than then Slant-6 version woulda had during the eary 70's. Years ago, I knew someone with a 1970 Slant-6 Challenger. They loved the car, but always regretted not opting for an 8 cylinder. I dont want to make that same mistake.

Here at work, we have a program that gets us a discount on new cars. I will be able to get the car for 1% below dealer invoice... plus whatever incentives Dodge will be offering at the moment.... typically like one or two grand cash back.

I considered getting a used one... maybe a 2012... but figured it was time for me to finally get a brand-new car.

It looks like the car in that ad in an R/T Plus. Not exactly a limited edition that I know of. The one I plan to get is the Classic (model above the Plus). The Classic version comes with stripes that would be found on a 1970 model (which I hope to get a stripe delete since they might not look as nice many years down the road), and the Challenger name badge is also the same as the one used 4 decades ago. There are also other standard features over the Plus version.... probably more goodies than I will know what to do with.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:40 AM
Administrator

Only thing that I didn't care for personally was that the six speed in that car has ridiculously short shifter throws, even for a performance car. Blip the throttle, and you're hitting 50 MPH in 2nd gear with a lot of RPMs left to go. Fun? HELL YEAH! For a daily driver, it would get me into some SERIOUS trouble.

The interior looked a little on the boring and spartan side at first, but I fell in love with it after a drive. Loved the cloth interior. I had no idea that it was such a serious performance machine until I drove it.

I'll take one in purple or slime green, thank you
Old 11-22-2013, 11:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

like them a lot, get the hemi...
Audiokarma
Old 11-22-2013, 12:21 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
On a side note, I see that we have a CT100 up for sale now. Dammit... just when I finally decide to buy a new car! I am almost tempted to skip the car. Must stay focused... new car... new car... new car.
Get the car. You'll be getting something that actually works, can be used daily and comes with a warranty. Better to use the savings for something you have been saving for. I decided against a well-preserved console TV and used the money toward a new digital camera, something I have been wanting for a long time. It was more than I wanted to pay, but it has all the features I need. No regrets. Better yet, I just learned that those TVs eat flyback transformers. Also, I second Tim's tomato can car comment. A Challenger is probably the only new car I could be bothered with.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWM View Post
like them a lot, get the hemi...
Now you're speaking my language!
My daily drivers have always been Econobuckets. Right now, I'm driving a Prius. My first car was a Valiant slant six, with three on the tree. No power anything. I never got a speeding ticket, in 49 years of driving. A few warnings, though.
Mustangs and Camaros are still "Girlie" cars.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:17 PM
On Land

Yes, I am getting the hemi.... the 345 cubic inch engine (5.7 liter). The larger 392 hemi with 470 hp (comes in the SRT model) simply wont be needed, and would cost a lot more in insurance!

I am opting for the automatic... mainly because I want the variable displacement feature, and also the remote engine start. You cannot have either one of those features with a standard. Of course, I understand why you cannot have a remote start feature with a standard tranny, but I am not sure why you can't have the variable displacement engine with a standard. Anyway, automatic it is.

Earlier, I mentioned not wanting stripes on my car. Also, I am hoping to learn that I can request no rear spoiler. I will be calling the salesman today to see if getting those items deleted is a possibility.

I will be choosing between Plum Crazy (purple), Redline Red, or Jazz Blue. I will have to see them in person first before making that decision. I do not want white, black, silver, or grey. I want a color... not a shade.

Old 11-22-2013, 04:07 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

I always found automatics boring, but to each his own. This got me thinking how the Ford Pinto and Mercury Bobcat with the 2.8L V6 were never available with a manual shift. The reason? They would have out-performed the Mustang II with the same powertrain.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:38 PM
On Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by KV-1926R View Post
I always found automatics boring, but to each his own. This got me thinking how the Ford Pinto and Mercury Bobcat with the 2.8L V6 were never available with a manual shift. The reason? They would have out-performed the Mustang II with the same powertrain.
I like having a standard. My Chevy half-ton has a 5-spd... and I doubt I would have gotten it had it been an automatic. In this case, the automatic will get a little better mileage on the highway, and on those hot Texas summer days, I can have the air-conditioning on and cooling before I get to the car!

Audiokarma
Old 11-22-2013, 04:53 PM
Not sure how I got here.

Yes it was nice to see the Challenger and Charger names again.... But before you guys go plunkin down 40K or more for one of those, go look at all the problems those engines are having..... there are quite a number of low mileage $47K door stops on youtube.... Friend of ours got a charger with hemi we added up the payments $55K she'll have paid years from now.... Would really suck if the engine went before it was paid off and, or, sold off to someone else....

I can't even imagine how I would sleep if I signed a loan for even $30K for a car..... And then had to drive it on the same roads as the nuts I have to drive with in our old car....
Old 11-22-2013, 05:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

as long as we are on cars, I saw a vette, looked really radical had a 4 pipe exhaust under the tag, did not see it for long. I would like to have a 1969-70 Chevelle with a big block, AC 4 speed etc....
Old 11-22-2013, 07:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
Yes it was nice to see the Challenger and Charger names again.... But before you guys go plunkin down 40K or more for one of those, go look at all the problems those engines are having..... there are quite a number of low mileage $47K door stops on youtube.... Friend of ours got a charger with hemi we added up the payments $55K she'll have paid years from now.... Would really suck if the engine went before it was paid off and, or, sold off to someone else....

I can't even imagine how I would sleep if I signed a loan for even $30K for a car..... And then had to drive it on the same roads as the nuts I have to drive with in our old car....
I paid up my last car note in 1974. I've had several cars since then, both new and used. Always paid cash. Bad habit from my father.
I never had a Mopar engine fail prematurely. Every one I owned went way into the six figures. I wouldn't trust a GM product past 30K miles.
You hear horror stories about any make, including Honda and Toyota.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:50 PM
On Land

In my family, we've clocked a lot of miles on the odometer. We've also owned all of the big 3 makes, and a couple of foreign jobs (not me). So far, the only "problem child" has been a Ford Explorer that my sister had. everything else has been good. I hope this continues with my Challenger purchase.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
In my family, we've clocked a lot of miles on the odometer. We've also owned all of the big 3 makes, and a couple of foreign jobs (not me). So far, the only "problem child" has been a Ford Explorer that my sister had. everything else has been good. I hope this continues with my Challenger purchase.
I had a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport, that had the 4.0 liter V6. Everyone said that it was the better engine. The 3.8 was the short lived engine.
I traded it on my 2005 Diesel Jeep Liberty, which I no longer have. It was totaled in 2009. First time for me.
Audiokarma