Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Question B&K 467 Where to get sockets for vintage tvs?

I have been lucky getting back into messing with older tvs.I have electronically restored a 1957 Hotpoint tv and got lucky the tube was really good with low hours and obviously my Zenith roundie has a good tube with low hours.

But what do I do with one that I intend to buy and want to test the tube before I get it? I have access to a B&K 467 at the shop I work at. The oldest sets I came across way back when I messed with these were the delta tube rectangulars that used no.3 .Even that has sprouted legs and walked away over the years since I used this instrument.Probably another tech borrowed it and it never found it's way back to the shop.Is it even compatible with roundies and older B/W tubes?IE is there a setup chart avalable for these older tubes? Will a universal adaptor work if I can find one?
Old 11-22-2010, 09:37 PM
Followin' the Rules...

If you can get the sockets (70, 90, 110 degree, pencil neck, sony, etc) the B&K update manual provides the pinouts:

http://www.bkprecision.com/download/...on/100-CRT.pdf

For the Molex connector, try Mouser, Allied, or Newark. It's listed in the manual, page 63.
You'll also need the pins. Get extras - no telling how many CRTs you'll come across in the future.
Hope this helps,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 11-22-2010, 11:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

You may be able to get them from B&K; but, the last time I checked, B&K was very proud of their test sockets. Otherwise, they turn up on ebay. Or, you could make your own with a molex connector, an old socket from a junk set, and the pin layout for the tube you wish to test. That's what I had to do for the mid '80's and newer Sony Trinitron CRT's, since B&K does not make a dedicated socket for them. Anyway, here's a list of the ones you'll need the most for older TV's.

CR1 - test the early inline CRT, such as what RCA used, from the early-mid '70's.
CR2 - roundie color CRT's
CR3 - standard delta gun color CRT's that were used from the mid '60's up until around 1980.
CR4 - test the 10" porta-color inline tubes of the '70's
CR6 - most common socket for '60's and newer 17" and larger B&W tubes
CR7 - test most 9"/12" small neck B&W tubes
CR9 - I think this one test predicta CRT's.
CR10 - test the older large neck B&W tubes from the '40's through early '60's.
CR12 - test the early 11" porta-color inline tubes
CR16 - test the early large neck inline tubes that were common in GE and Sylvania/Philco sets from the '70's and early '80's.
CR20 - test the inline tubes that were used in early Zenith system 3, Magnavox, Philco, and Sylvania sets from the late '70's/early '80's.
CR23 - test many inline tubes that were used in the majority of TV's and monitor's from around 1980 until the end of CRT's
CR24 - test inline CRT's used in RCA sets from the late '70's to the late '80's. Also test some Curtis-Mathes inline CRT's from the same time period.
CR25 - test many inline CRT's, such as what is found in late '70's to early '90's Samsung, Goldstar, Sears/Sanyo, and in the Sylvania/Magnavox/Philco E32 sets.
CR31 - test the small neck inline color CRT's that were around from the mid '80's until the end of CRT TV's