Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-28-2008, 03:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Newbie Question - Mid Sixties Admiral Color TV

Hi all. I'm a newbie here, but have been collecting vintage TV's for about 20 years. I have just acquired my first vintage color set, a mid sixties Admiral. The set is is good shape and plays OK (a little soft perhaps) but is in desperate need of a color alignment. The convergence is the first thing I notice as being way off and the colors are blotchy, for lack of a better word.

I live in S. Florida. Does anyone on the board know of someone in my general area I can pay to align the set? I don't have the manual and even if I did I don't know that I could do that myself, though I have all the patterns on a video set-up DVD.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Admiral TV.JPG (21.8 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg admiral2.JPG (33.4 KB, 72 views)
Old 09-28-2008, 04:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sadly no...but I love your set! Congrats!
Old 09-28-2008, 04:17 PM
Still Y2K Compliant!

This post should be in the Rectangular Tube category.

Gilbert

www.galaxymoonbeamnightsite.com
Old 09-28-2008, 05:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

I wasn't sure. Be happy to have the mod move it. Sorry the "mid sixties" threw me.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:34 PM
sampson159

you dont need a manual.set up is generally the same procedure om these delta gun sets.much,much,posting in this forum on set up.i like that set. the cabinet screams 60s.awesome looking!!!!
Audiokarma
Old 09-28-2008, 05:45 PM
Mark

Did you get that photo from drh4683? That looks like his things and his basement in the background.
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 09-28-2008, 07:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes. I bought the set from him. He was a great guy to deal with.

I was very happy to finally acquire a 60's color set and had it moved all the way from Chicago.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:26 PM
Mark

Cool! Then you got yourself a good tv, he finds some of the best around here. Also, welcome to the forum!
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 09-29-2008, 12:50 AM
Convergence freak!

Yes indeed! Welcome and very nice set! I would look ar purity rings first, could have been bumped or jossled in transportation, as well as yoke alignment.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:36 AM
<-- sucker for old sets.

I would buy or make a degaussing coil and give the CRT a through degaussing. Afterwards, turn off the blue and green screens and see how uniform the picture looks. If the red is patchy, adjust the purity rings until the red is uniform in the center. If its then blotchy on the edges, the deflection yoke needs to be repositioned. This is best done with the set sitting in front of a mirror so you can see the progress.

After purity is done, set the convergence. Turn all three screens down. Flip the service switch. Turn up the red until you can just see a faint red line on the screen. Then turn up the green until the line becomes amber. If the lines don't converge don't worry about it, just set the green for as equal brightness as the red.

Now flip the service switch back to normal. Get a crosshatch pattern up on the screen. Now adjust the red and green static magnets on the CRT to converge the red and green on top of each other at the center. The red and green move diagonally, so it might be a bit tricky at first. Just look in the mirror to check your progress.

Once that has been done, flip it back into service mode and you should see an amber line again. turn up the blue until the line becomes white. If the blue line doesn't line up just make it the same brightness. switch back into normal mode again. With the cross hatch pattern up, converge the blue on top of the red and green. The blue static magnet on the CRT moves the blue up and down. The blue lateral magnet is on the assembly where the purity rings were.

Once the static convergence has been completed, touch up the grayscale by adjusting the screens for the perfect black and white picture. Then adjust the drives for the correct whites. Afterwards you can really get it looking good by performing the dynamic convergence setup.

Great looking set. Welcome aboard!
Old 09-29-2008, 12:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Jordan:

I appreciate the reply and the thorough instructions. Unfortunately, I don't know that I am capable of performing those tasks. I will learn if need be but I would be happy to pay someone local to set this up for me.

I hope someone out there in S. Florida can help.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hmmm...Bill Cahill is somewhere in FL, not sure how far down though?

Last edited by bgadow; 09-29-2008 at 12:54 PM. Reason: got the name wrong!
Old 09-29-2008, 12:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdylon View Post
Once the static convergence has been completed, touch up the grayscale by adjusting the screens for the perfect black and white picture. Then adjust the drives for the correct whites.

Did any of these older sets have controls for both ends of the grayscale like most of the modern sets other than screen and drive controls you mentioned? For the low end of the scale, most will have something like "cut" labeled and the high end would be the "drive".
Old 09-29-2008, 12:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
Hmmm...Bill S. is somewhere in FL, not sure how far down though?
I am in Boynton Beach. About 15 min south of West Palm and about 70 mins North of Miami.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdylon View Post
I would buy or make a degaussing coil and give the CRT a through degaussing. Afterwards, turn off the blue and green screens and see how uniform the picture looks. If the red is patchy, adjust the purity rings until the red is uniform in the center. If its then blotchy on the edges, the deflection yoke needs to be repositioned. This is best done with the set sitting in front of a mirror so you can see the progress.

After purity is done, set the convergence. Turn all three screens down. Flip the service switch. Turn up the red until you can just see a faint red line on the screen. Then turn up the green until the line becomes amber. If the lines don't converge don't worry about it, just set the green for as equal brightness as the red.

Now flip the service switch back to normal. Get a crosshatch pattern up on the screen. Now adjust the red and green static magnets on the CRT to converge the red and green on top of each other at the center. The red and green move diagonally, so it might be a bit tricky at first. Just look in the mirror to check your progress.

Once that has been done, flip it back into service mode and you should see an amber line again. turn up the blue until the line becomes white. If the blue line doesn't line up just make it the same brightness. switch back into normal mode again. With the cross hatch pattern up, converge the blue on top of the red and green. The blue static magnet on the CRT moves the blue up and down. The blue lateral magnet is on the assembly where the purity rings were.

Once the static convergence has been completed, touch up the grayscale by adjusting the screens for the perfect black and white picture. Then adjust the drives for the correct whites. Afterwards you can really get it looking good by performing the dynamic convergence setup.

OK, I degaussed it. I feel like an idiot asking, but what are the purity rings? Can you point that out from my picture #2? What is the deflection yoke in the same picture. Also, I didn't see a service switch anywhere on the set.

Sorry for asking, I had a really good repair guy in NY many years ago, someone named Vaughn, when I bought my first sets and he always set them up. I am no where near as technical as many on this board but I usually can learn if I get instructions.

Thanks to all for their assistance.
Audiokarma