Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage Arcade, Pinball, and MAME

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-06-2017, 06:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Atari Lemans Racing

So someone I know was moving and had to get rid of it pretty fast. I paid under $100 for the shebang. Came with almost $3 in quarters rattling around inside.

It's been modified. It's Lemans in cabinet theme only.
At some point if I'm looking at the original cabinet right a pedal was removed and the landscape orientation B/W screen was replaced with a portrait color chassis from Electrohome. There is absolutely no identifying marks on the new game boardset short of it saying it is Model # 1390. Must say it has an impressive audio board on top at least. Harness is not JAMMA that I can tell an there has been modifications to it as well.

The power supply came up rock solid on a dummy load but unfortunately I cannot yet plug it in and see what is installed. The CRT chassis is....dead. The tube has clearly been used in both orientations for a variety of games, most notably QIX II.

The shifter was extremely stiff and had to be dismantled and regreased. The steering wheel has a badly worn bushing so the gear linkage to the strobewheel is misaligned.
The analog board other than being filthy and with a few questionable solder joints seemed fine however had a blown fuse. I cleaned up the board, changed two capacitors I wasn't confident about, replaced the fuse and applied power. Two seconds after power was applied without warning the flyback exploded.

I have never seen a flyback fail in such a fashion that it puked some of its windings out. It spooked everyone in the room.
The fuse didn't blow, mind you however I'm unsure what caused it to so destructively fail unless this was one of those monitors that have oscillator runaway if no sync signal is given.
Anyways, I got no video chassis for it.

Last edited by MIPS; 05-06-2017 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 12:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

That's a G07-CBO, a very common monitor. Never seen it happen before, myself, but a lot of people will say that if you replace the caps & leave the original flyback in there, the fly will fail soon after.

If the fly went, it probably took the HOT with it. You can get a rebuild kit with everything from https://www.arcadepartsandrepair.com/ or https://iankellogg.com/, both sell good quality parts. You might also want to replace the horizontal width coil, since they're usually very brittle and easy to break when installing the other parts.

That's pretty light burn for a G07, it'll probably look okay if you put a smoked plex in front of it.

Do you have an EPROM programmer? If you can dump a ROM, you can use MAME's romident function to figure out what it is. The MAME romset usually names the files after the ID and position on the board, so you can often figure it out by grepping the source for the text on the sticker over the EPROM window. Lastly, if there are identifying numbers on the boards anywhere, you can Google those and sometimes get a hit.

You should check the sides, looks like someone painted red over most of it, covering up the "LeMans" text.

Here's the manual and schematic: http://arcarc.xmission.com/PDF_Arcad...t_Printing.pdf

Good luck! LeMans is a fun game, classic B&W driver. It's from '76, so no CPU, it's built entirely from discrete logic.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:14 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Do you have an EPROM programmer? If you can dump a ROM, you can use MAME's romident function to figure out what it is. The MAME romset usually names the files after the ID and position on the board, so you can often figure it out by grepping the source for the text on the sticker over the EPROM window. Lastly, if there are identifying numbers on the boards anywhere, you can Google those and sometimes get a hit.
I work with computers a lot so I have a whole workstation dedicated to reading and burning chips. It's in storage at the moment though but once I get a chance I'll pull it out again as a few people have asked for dumping it for the MAME folks.
I started to clue in that at some point the cabinet was painted because some scuffs and chips show the white underneath however I have no idea how to strip the paint off with ruining the decals.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
I work with computers a lot so I have a whole workstation dedicated to reading and burning chips. It's in storage at the moment though but once I get a chance I'll pull it out again as a few people have asked for dumping it for the MAME folks.
I started to clue in that at some point the cabinet was painted because some scuffs and chips show the white underneath however I have no idea how to strip the paint off with ruining the decals.
Good, sounds like you'll know what it is soon. MAME is pretty comprehensive, it would be unusual to find something that wasn't in there already.

I'm not sure on the paint either. You might try isopropyl alcohol and a magic eraser on the back corner to see if that works.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

I managed to get in touch with the original owner of the cabinet and he was able to tell me what was currently installed. Taito's Buggy Challenge. This seems to add up as it has the same control layout and the PCB set is identical. It is also not a JAMMA device so some research will ne needed before I can figure out how to hang an RGB monitor off it for testing purposes.
Audiokarma
Old 07-20-2017, 12:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

Using the wiring diagram I was able to add a second video harness with RCA ends for RGB+S. Grabbed one of my nastier PVM's as it was small and dragged it to the workspace.

Aside from the green tint which is the fault of the PVM I only had one time where on a manual degauss the video corrupted up and the machine had to be power cycled. The sound is good, the controls all work and the game is more than playable. Now that I've verified that this part of the system is good I will proceed with rebuilding the analog board.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CGS_7645.jpg (64.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg CGS_7646.jpg (65.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg CGS_7647.jpg (37.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8355.jpg (56.2 KB, 11 views)