Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Portable Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Panasonic model TR-555 portable B&W TV from 1976

Today, I was invited to look at the leftover contents of an estate sale and I spotted two TV's. The first was a 5" Panasonic model TR-555 AC/DC B&W from '76, marked at $10. The other one was a 13" china job from 2000, marked at $25. I asked what he'd take for the B&W and he said I could have it.

It's in very nice cosmetic shape and still had the AC adapter and car cord with it. Besides a dirty volume control, it works fine.

I didn't want the newer one (a Konka brand, BTW); but, he insisted I take it. It worked; but, had a strange looking humbar moving up the screen and that turned out to be caused by a dried out 4.7 uf capacitor in the power supply (located right next to the voltage regulator heatsink). It now works decent; but, it's not something I'd keep. The next time I'm at the flea market, I'm going to dump it off on them.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:39 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Those Panasonic sets are nice for having full-size tuners, probably rare in 5-inch sets by then. I bought one missing the front loop/handle-looking thing for $4 about three days before NTSC TV went away in 2009. All I had to do with mine was clean controls and adjust the yoke if I remember right. Then, I tuned in the TV stations with the messages "You need a converter box" on several channels.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 11-18-2015, 06:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes .I would go for the Panasonic myself then the 2000 set.I see plenty of them for free at the curb. I have that Panasonic set in my garage somewhere along with its brother pop up TV/AM/FM radio and some Unisonic's that look like it .It was a nice set until the digital change over crap happened. I'm glad that you got it up and running.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

I don't remember the model number; but, I've got a Panny that's a couple of years newer. It's a 3" set with a snap-on magnifier and that one has a built-in AM/FM radio. I used that set for years, until the DTV switch.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
I don't remember the model number; but, I've got a Panny that's a couple of years newer. It's a 3" set with a snap-on magnifier and that one has a built-in AM/FM radio. I used that set for years, until the DTV switch.
The Unisonic 2 incher I have has the magnifier also as the same with Radio Shacks version.I dont recall who made the Unisonic sets.
Audiokarma