Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Expeditions & Passions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:40 AM
Motorola Minion

Cool Wacky old antennas

I have had aluminum feever for over 35 years, compulsively looking for classic antennas every time I'm on the road.

Stacked Conical X2 appears to have been used to get Philadelphia VHF channels in Harrisburg, about 85 miles.super stack conical.jpg

Stacked single channel and yagi (redundant) for a local VHF channelyagi+stack.jpg

Stacked VHF hi/lo aimed for Philadelphia VHF channels in Reading, 45 miles away. stack antenna 1.jpg

The Finco "bedspring" is another good one, but I have no picture...yet.

Often I wonder if some are in use, even just for some FM reception.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Great photos! Those antennas may not be up much longer, judging from condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
Stacked single channel and yagi (redundant) for a local VHF channelAttachment 175263
I think that the 4 stacked antennas are "Double Vee" type, which were broadband, covering both VHF and UHF. I have seen these in two lengths, a "short" version (shown) and a longer version, with the front Vee about the same distance ahead of the mast. The angle of the vees was adjustable, with the wide angle position marked "VHF" and the narrow angle position marked "UHF" on the ones that I have seen. Could the Yagi have been for FM, perhaps?

jr
Old 07-02-2012, 02:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Finco "Bedspring"

Was always fascinated by the Finco 400 series antennas. My mother took my brother and I to see them demonstate the antennas with a truck setup that hooked me on DXing for life. That was a LONG time ago. I found the Finco patents and used them to make a 400. It easily outperforms my Wade VIP-307 and nearly equals my CM4251 Parascope. Here is a picture of a 400 in Colorado (I think). My Finco reproduction is used in Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi. It is also an incredible FM antenna but it takes a tuner that is hard to overload to use. (SAE MKVI)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg finco 400.jpg (32.2 KB, 195 views)
Old 07-02-2012, 02:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith26kc20 View Post
Was always fascinated by the Finco 400 series antennas. My mother took my brother and I to see them demonstate the antennas with a truck setup that hooked me on DXing for life. That was a LONG time ago. I found the Finco patents and used them to make a 400. It easily outperforms my Wade VIP-307 and nearly equals my CM4251 Parascope. Here is a picture of a 400 in Colorado (I think). My Finco reproduction is used in Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi. It is also an incredible FM antenna but it takes a tuner that is hard to overload to use. (SAE MKVI)
my dad had a antenna like that one in the 60's on a 50' tower and we could pick up wgn 9 and 32 and 7 out of chicago and we lived between south bend and elkhart indiana , its been on my mind lattley that i would like to find another one like that if they are making reproduction id like to get one .
Old 07-02-2012, 03:29 PM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Great photos! Those antennas may not be up much longer, judging from condition.

I think that the 4 stacked antennas are "Double Vee" type, which were broadband, covering both VHF and UHF. I have seen these in two lengths, a "short" version (shown) and a longer version, with the front Vee about the same distance ahead of the mast. The angle of the vees was adjustable, with the wide angle position marked "VHF" and the narrow angle position marked "UHF" on the ones that I have seen. Could the Yagi have been for FM, perhaps?

jr
Based on the available channels, the yagi is ch 8 (only local VHF channel) and the vee must certainly be for UHF......great info thanks!

26KC20- Thanks for the photo. I will post a picture of the Finco antenna truck, I have an old advert from 1963. Maybe we need to go into business since everybody forgot how to make a truly good VHF antenna. I was really bummed when CM discontinued crossfires!

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 07-02-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 07-02-2012, 04:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Making a Finco 400 was not difficult but it is BIG! From what I have learned, there was a smaller version, the 200. It was half the antenna. It seems the 400 is a stacked set of 200's. It is very directional. What is good about it is although big(!) it does not present a large wind load. My VU-937 SR Wade was a major "dancer" on the roof during storms. It was not a real performer. A CM3671 outperforms it. The VIP-307 is great for VHF. It's the one under the CM4251. This photo was taken after a tree came down on the house.
Patent #s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4251 house.jpg (55.2 KB, 183 views)

Last edited by Zenith26kc20; 07-02-2012 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Left out patent numbers
Old 07-02-2012, 06:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
Based on the available channels, the yagi is ch 8 (only local VHF channel) and the vee must certainly be for UHF.
If that Yagi is indeed cut for ch 8 (and compared to the size of the mast and rotator, that seems reasonable) then the antennas in 4 stack of double Vees are much smaller than the UHF/VHF models that I have seen, and most likely for broadband UHF coverage only. Fun thread!

jr

Add: One of my favorite UHF only antennas for suburban use is the "bow-tie" style corner reflector, which was used in the earliest days of UHF and still useful on my roof for the local DTV channels. Note: Western Scrub Jay for scale. (about 11" tall, including tail)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1160.jpg (79.7 KB, 129 views)

Last edited by jr_tech; 07-02-2012 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Add Corner reflector pix
Old 07-03-2012, 02:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Since the advent of cable tv, the abudance of antenna's "ain't what it used to be". I always enjoyed road trips as a kid and seeing what was used in other areas. I remember what the Detroit area was like before subscribed service came along and DX'ing. Installed lots of antennas too, mostly Winegards. I had a small Zenith(Jerrold?) antenna on a rotor that would really outperform for it's size with it's staggerd elements.

I glad I'm not the only one....I guess it's not a sickness after all!
Old 07-03-2012, 11:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

I saved the antenna off of my great grandparents house, a JFD as I recall. It looks like a smaller version of that conical? Really rough shape, though, with most of its elements missing or beyond repair. I'm guessing it isn't really worth saving, but I'll have to post some photos before tossing it. There is a similiar looking array that I pass all the time. I need to stop and take a photo.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:26 PM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
I saved the antenna off of my great grandparents house, a JFD as I recall. It looks like a smaller version of that conical? Really rough shape, though, with most of its elements missing or beyond repair. I'm guessing it isn't really worth saving, but I'll have to post some photos before tossing it. There is a similiar looking array that I pass all the time. I need to stop and take a photo.
I have one complete straight, still gold elements half of a stacked conical and you're welcome to it for restoration parts.
I have to admit, these worked good as a fringe antenna on VHF, even giving clear reception of Lancaster channel 8 off the backside. Also were damn cheap too, so the rooftops were full of them in the primarily VHF areas N+W of Philadelphia. And speaking of Philly, here is a good plug for GC colormagic antennas. Colormagic TV antenna small[1].pdf One might ask why Philco did not endorse their good neighbor, Jerrold antennas. Someone may know, but I put up a few "Zenith" antennas in the late 70s that were made by Jerrold. They performed better than Channel Master and built as good as Winegard. I have my eye on one, so I am going to ask ASAP.
Audiokarma
Old 07-06-2012, 02:45 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

This is a great topic. The antennas in the pictures Dave first posted need to be saved if possible; we collectors have hundreds of TV sets and lots of rabbit ears but how many early outdoor antennas have been preserved?

I remember when I first moved away from home into an apartment, one of the first things I did was to install a roof TV antenna for real reception (as well as a roof CB antenna). It was a huge used Jerrold that I also brought to my second apartment and kept until high winds knocked the whole assembly down. After that, I moved to California and wanted to watch MTV, so I subscribed to (puke!) cable TV for several years.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 07-07-2012, 08:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Another "oldie but goody", but for FM this time. Pictured is a Radio Shack 10 element Yagi for FM only made in the early 70s. It is about 10 feet long. Later in the 70s, RS changed the 10 element to a version that was a hybrid log-periodic/Yagi design, eliminating the folded dipoles. the 10 element design was discontinued in the mid 80s (I believe). RS also sold a 6 element hybrid log-Yagi until fairly recently. The Antennacraft FM-6 is still being sold at other outlets, and is a fine performer for the money.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...enna-%28FM6%29

This antenna is in use on my roof, pointed at a classical station about 110 miles distant. Tuner is a Yamaha 950 (with narrow IF filters installed)...Reception is fine!

Not affiliated,
jr
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2048.jpg (25.4 KB, 111 views)

Last edited by jr_tech; 07-07-2012 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Add link for FM-6
Old 07-08-2012, 06:52 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
This antenna is in use on my roof, pointed at a classical station about 110 miles distant. Tuner is a Yamaha 950 (with narrow IF filters installed)...Reception is fine!

Not affiliated,
jr
Why would you need to get a classical station from over 100 miles away? Your area must be one that has either all rock stations, no classical stations at all, or one that has had the local classical station changed to another frequency your area can no longer receive. The latter happened here in my area about five years ago; for whatever reason, the classical station in Cleveland, which had been on 95.5 MHz since its inception in 1962, moved its transmitter to a far-western Cleveland suburb and changed frequencies to 104.9 MHz. All of this wouldn't be so bad, but there is a very strong station just 0.2 MHz down the dial from the classical station that all but drowns it out. (The interfering station is only about ten miles from here, so the signal is extremely strong.)

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
Why would you need to get a classical station from over 100 miles away? Your area must be one that has either all rock stations, no classical stations at all, or one that has had the local classical station changed to another frequency your area can no longer receive.
Nope, none of the above... I have a very nice local Classical music station, which is my main station, but it is *always* nice to have alternate programming. I sometimes listen in the summer to a *third* Classical station that is about 160 miles distant (if the tropo is decent)

jr
Old 07-08-2012, 09:51 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I STILL want a nice 30-40' tower, a rotatorator, mount my Winegard on top.. This area has spme UNREAL DXing opportunities...