Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

PTZ Camera

So I salvaged some old CCTV stuff and out of the pile I ended up with one camera unit with a 410K pixel (AKA: nothing all that spectacular) camera, automatic iris, 4-9mm manual zoom lens and a pan/tilt mount. There was also an outdoor wallmount but the dome is missing. I thought this would make for a great webcam up on the roof with the antennas.

The +12v and composite out are fairly straightforward but controlling the mount is another story. There's still six other wires I have no idea what they do. The unit has no branding but only a model: Y1-PAN. No documentation or mention of it exists on the internet so odds are it's from fly-by-night Chinese company #33123495.

This is what the wire harness breaks out to end-to-end. Again the video and power lines are obvious. It seems that the standard for PTZ control is to use RS-485 but I can't confirm if that is a 2-wire or 4-wire system. Any idea on where to start experimenting before I jam wires into my DVR and see what combination makes it move? (or blow up the RS-485 driver)
Old 04-12-2017, 10:30 PM
Followin' the Rules...

I'd run all the similar PTZ models on eBay through a Google search for a manual...and also look for a polycarbonate dome of suitable size there as well. Some Chinese sellers have 4"-10" domes for less than 10 bucks shipped....
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 04-12-2017, 10:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

There's a lot of really cheap Chinese security cameras out there. This is one of them. A Pelco it is not! It probably works with a proprietary DVR.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishdude View Post
There's a lot of really cheap Chinese security cameras out there. This is one of them. A Pelco it is not! It probably works with a proprietary DVR.
The DVR it likely ran with I got as well.

The documentation is absolutely awful but it has a 2-wire RS-485 port and supports a bunch of different PTZ protocols.
The mount has a dip switch for PRO1 and PRO2, which is likely also to toggle the protocol it uses.

Quote:
I'd run all the similar PTZ models on eBay through a Google search for a manual
The mount is dated October 10 2004. Either that was the last time the design was revised or that's when this model was manufactured, so anything on ebay will be likely far more advanced.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

Poked around at the other stuff I found and possibly got a manufacturer.
Wonwoo Engineering (korean) manufactured theVCN-100S300 dome camera I also got. Their product lineup indicates they had two PTZ products at least. While the manuals for at least one of themdoesn't help explain the dip switches on mine it did indicate that the white wire is D+ and the black is D-. IT also noted that their PTZ stuff at least supported multiple protocols.
I plugged it into the DVR and played with the different ptotocols on ID 0 and 1 and the best I could get was a blinking orange light at 9600 baud with the Fastrax II protocol. Promising but no movement either because out of my three variables I could still have the wrong protocol, I might be talking at the wrong baudrate and I might be on the wrong channel, in which case I guess the mount sees the commands but ignores them because it's set to another ID.
Audiokarma
Old 04-13-2017, 01:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Keep going on ID 2, 3, and maybe 4 if they didn't start with 0. D+ and D- likely stand for data + and -, as 485 is a balanced signal for greater distance. They must not talk back, if there's no send/receive nomenclature. The address of the item being controlled is key, too.

When I first started reading, I was afraid you were going to ask which wire was up/down, and which was left/right. So you're ahead of the game having the DVR/controller, and just two choices of protocol.

If you want to dig into the signalling, you can use RealTerm, from sourceforge. It will show you everything you'd want to know about the serial conversation. You will need a 422/485 converter on your laptop or PC, but they are around. A quick test connector and you should be good to go for analysis.

Chip
Old 04-13-2017, 08:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
485 is a balanced signal for greater distance. They must not talk back, if there's no send/receive nomenclature.
What happens if D+ and D- are reversed? bad things?

Quote:
When I first started reading, I was afraid you were going to ask which wire was up/down, and which was left/right. So you're ahead of the game having the DVR/controller, and just two choices of protocol.
I've read about modern PTZ but never touched it so this is my first time.
By the way, that DVR has a number of protocols to pick form, so protocol RE-ing isn't necessary:

Samsung MRX1000
Pelco-D
Pelco-P
Honeywell GMC
Honeywell SD1
Kalatel KTD-312
Panasonic 850
Panasonic 604
Sensormatic
Vicon
Scan Dome II
Sunin DSC-230
D-Max
GC-655N
Fastrax II
Lilin Fastdome
Samsing SCC641
Philips 8560-700

Seems like a decent number of protocols supported. The bigger question is which of the two protocols my mount supports is in the list above?
Old 04-14-2017, 08:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

"What happens if D+ and D- are reversed? bad things?"

Probably nothing. It's a balanced differential circuit, and I don't think there's any badness associated with reversed polarity.

But usually 422/485 is a 4-wire setup, two for send and two for receive. Ground the shield, but connection at each end not required.
So it seems a little non-standard to me.

Maybe the + and - really mean in and out, and it's not 485, but rather unbalanced 232 send and receive, but augmented with device addressing. Mis-cabling that could certainly cause problems.

I'm not familiar with much security video stuff, but at least there's documentation available...

Chip

Last edited by Chip Chester; 04-14-2017 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Had a wild thought last weekend and wondered if perhaps the camera setup data was displayed when turned on but I wasn't seeing it because I didn't have the video connected to a display. Sure enough it was.

Set camera address 1 to Pelco-D at 2400 BPS and we were moving.